Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Takeaway of Choice?

Takeaway of choice

• Total voters

I once had a family meal out at the Thai restaurant in Preston Street (all you can scoff for a fixed price) - and was impressed to find that the kitchen staff finished their evening by ordering in a Chinese takeaway from the shop down the road. They ate it at one of the restaurant tables.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I once had a family meal out at the Thai restaurant in Preston Street (all you can scoff for a fixed price) - and was impressed to find that the kitchen staff finished their evening by ordering in a Chinese takeaway from the shop down the road. They ate it at one of the restaurant tables.

Shudder!

I was told it is a good sign if you see natives enjoying their native cuisine. You can see Chinese eating chinese and you can see Thai eating thai, but have you ever seen an Indian eating in an Indian restaurant? Maybe that is a cultural thing.

Shudder!

I was told it is a good sign if you see natives enjoying their native cuisine. You can see Chinese eating chinese and you can see Thai eating thai, but have you ever seen an Indian eating in an Indian restaurant? Maybe that is a cultural thing.

In Birmingham certainly. Maybe NSC' s travellers can report back on today's experiences?

[I'm assuming they know NEVER to visit Brum without a trip to a good curry house.]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My brother works at LHR where there are lot of Indians working and as such was invited a work mates childs birthday and he said the food was absolutely fabulous curry but nothing like your local curry house, far far better. Apparently like the Chinese do Chow Mein and Chop Suey just for the western tastes so it is for all the different named curries

Jan 30, 2008
My brother works at LHR where there are lot of Indians working and as such was invited a work mates childs birthday and he said the food was absolutely fabulous curry but nothing like your local curry house, far far better. Apparently like the Chinese do Chow Mein and Chop Suey just for the western tastes so it is for all the different named curries
you're so interesting :yawn:
regards
DR

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Yes! well pakistani, been at the Lahore Kebab in Whitechapel in evening during ramadan and it was a football crowd outside. seen similar as daily occurance across London. if outside major cities the "indian" population probably comprises the restaurant owner, staff and family, so they might not care to work and eat in the same place. alot of curry shops are run by Bangledshi families who wouldnt normally eat much meat (more seafood) or naan, so probably wouldnt eat there.

Apparently like the Chinese do Chow Mein and Chop Suey just for the western tastes so it is for all the different named curries

this is an american myth. both dishes come from the region around southern China near Hong Kong, as do most your typical Chinese takeaway owner. its a bit odd to suppose that something invented in US would go back to a British colony and then find its way across to UK? the indian thing is different, they've used word for cooking techniques and implements to name the dishes. it not strictly authentic but mostly has roots in India. think yorkshire puds, its English even if it doesnt actually come from yorkshire.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Y
this is an american myth. both dishes come from the region around southern China near Hong Kong, as do most your typical Chinese takeaway owner. its a bit odd to suppose that something invented in US would go back to a British colony and then find its way across to UK? the indian thing is different, they've used word for cooking techniques and implements to name the dishes. it not strictly authentic but mostly has roots in India. think yorkshire puds, its English even if it doesnt actually come from yorkshire.

That is interesting I wonder if anybody has been to either of these regions and can confirm this, not that I am doubting you.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think that Chinese is very over rated you fill yourself up while eating it and an hour later are hungry and want something else to eat. Is the Nanking restaurant still operating in Brighton as I used to go there in the 60s

When I was younger I too used to enjoy Nanking. Not so much nowadays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here