Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Taiwan vs China worries

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
While its true they rarely start wars its difficult to tell if its because they've always had someone to be afraid of (like your dirty little empire or in recent times the US empire), its difficult to know what they will do in the future. That they will be invading some far away country probably remains unlikely but taking Taiwan by force is not out the question.

Pretty sure they wont spend 50 years solely focusing on HK, its a small region and not nearly as important to them as it used to be.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/24/us-carrier-group-enters-south-china-sea-amid-china-taiwan-tensions/

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Very interesting to read the various views here. I’m no expert on China and clearly many of you have more first hand experience of China and Taiwan than me, but from what I’ve read (mainly about the Mao years and since) the Chinese seem to regard their citizens as expendable, so a war wouldn’t surprise me. However, their increasing wealth and power probably means they could more easily win the “hearts and minds” peacefully in other countries rather than militarily. In other words they will continue to buy influence through continued investment in other countries e.g. their massive investments in Africa etc.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Very interesting to read the various views here. I’m no expert on China and clearly many of you have more first hand experience of China and Taiwan than me, but from what I’ve read (mainly about the Mao years and since) the Chinese seem to regard their citizens as expendable, so a war wouldn’t surprise me. However, their increasing wealth and power probably means they could more easily win the “hearts and minds” peacefully in other countries rather than militarily. In other words they will continue to buy influence through continued investment in other countries e.g. their massive investments in Africa etc.

I think we're all experts in regards to China, they very kindly introduced the coronavirus to our planet.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I don't know what's wrong with the American mentality, they're obsessed with violence. Given the deep rooted problems they have with racism, regular shootings at schools, the storming of Capitol Hill and their Covid death rate to make but a few, you would think that they would have better things to do than to play battleships the other side of the world.

Imagine if China sent a bunch of ships sailing up the gulf of Mexico, I'm sure there would be a war. China have been pretty patient with the US, given their recent state sponsored instigation of the Hong Kong riots.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't know what's wrong with the American mentality, they're obsessed with violence. Given the deep rooted problems they have with racism, regular shootings at schools, the storming of Capitol Hill and their Covid death rate to make but a few, you would think that they would have better things to do than to play battleships the other side of the world.

Imagine if China sent a bunch of ships sailing up the gulf of Mexico, I'm sure there would be a war. China have been pretty patient with the US, given their recent state sponsored instigation of the Hong Kong riots.

While I've seen in other threads that you are very pro-China, I still agree with some of that. What governments/people tolerate the US to do is always far beyond what they tolerate everyone else to do. Russian intrusion in airspace - Evil Imperial Putin at work. Building a NATO base in a country bordering Russia - "Why Putin so mad..?". Imagine Russia building a military base in Canada, people would not ask why Biden wasnt pleased. And its a bit the same thing about China, plenty of people (including me) don't like what they're up to, but that doesnt mean the US needs to take every single opportunity to escalate things.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
I know someone who is from a family where half the family were in the Red Army and are up there in a province in China. The other half of the family were in the Republic Of China government before the revolution, they left China to go to Taiwan and as a result and are up there in Taiwan. I think it's called playing the percentages. Things are often more intwined and subtle than things seem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here