Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tailgating and lane hogging motorway fines started today.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Must say that having driven housands of miles on motorways over the years,I don't regard middle lane hogging as a big problem.Most drivers in the middle lane are usually travelling at about the speed limit and are not holding anyone up except those who wang down regardless in the outside lane exceeding the speed limit.
I cannot really think that constantly pulling out from the inside lane to the middle lane and back is any more conducive to road safety than travelling at the speed limit in the middle lane.I see very few instances of hoggers travelling at inappropriately low sppeeds in the middle lane these days.
Travelled from Chichester to Oxford and back yesterday and in pretty busy conditions with some heavy rain at times,the traffic proceeded pretty well along the M27,M3 and the A34.No problems from middle lane hoggers at all.

Please keep me updated.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Must say that having driven housands of miles on motorways over the years,I don't regard middle lane hogging as a big problem.Most drivers in the middle lane are usually travelling at about the speed limit and are not holding anyone up except those who wang down regardless in the outside lane exceeding the speed limit.
I cannot really think that constantly pulling out from the inside lane to the middle lane and back is any more conducive to road safety than travelling at the speed limit in the middle lane.I see very few instances of hoggers travelling at inappropriately low sppeeds in the middle lane these days.
Travelled from Chichester to Oxford and back yesterday and in pretty busy conditions with some heavy rain at times,the traffic proceeded pretty well along the M27,M3 and the A34.No problems from middle lane hoggers at all.

Please keep us updated.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I too have noticed this on my way back to Bicester. I have been on one of those courses as well and the look on the plonkers face when you cruise by on the inside is priceless.
I think the answer to all these problems lies with the previous governments not having the balls to make all motorways and dual carriageways, Freeways as in America and Australia for instance. Okay there maybe mayhem but it will be short lived and everyone would soon get used to driving that way.On my way home last Saturday the M25 was virtually a freeway anyway!!
They should see the M40 on the way back from Brighton after an evening game, empty motorway and some tit feels it is appropriate to be in the middle lane doing 60 so I have to pull across 3 lanes to pass them then back across 3 lanes to the correct lane just to pass them.

I have also, so far, not seen any police car that will be nicking these fools.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There is no such thing as a slow or fast lane. There are lanes for overtaking, so if you're not overtaking then get in. It's simple.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hardly Paris-Dakar is it? There's only about 20 miles of three-lane road between Chichester and Oxford. I drive thousands of miles on motorways every year and find middle lane hogging a huge problem. Half of the bloody congestion on our roads is caused by these people not using the space on our overcrowded roads efficiently.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I notice you chose to quote just a part of my post completely changing the meaning of it.

As I move over if there is a faster car behind me I doubt I'll ever get fined for lane hogging. Maybe you drive a car that has sponge like suspension, but my car feels every one of the bumps, holes and dips in the inside lane of most well used motorways. I spend quite a bit of time abroad and am quite happy to sit on the inside lane on French motorways because they are properly maintained.

I bet you travel at the speed limit and refuse to move over too however long the snake of cars behind you, from the tone of your post.

On the contrary I drive a high performance car that as such has very stiff suspension, but that's my choice as don't believe I should have special consideration in doing so.
I still drive in the inside lane when it's empty. I don't hog the middle lane for a more comfortable ride as that would be selfish.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Hardly Paris-Dakar is it? There's only about 20 miles of three-lane road between Chichester and Oxford. I drive thousands of miles on motorways every year and find middle lane hogging a huge problem. Half of the bloody congestion on our roads is caused by these people not using the space on our overcrowded roads efficiently.

No it isn't Paris -Dakar,but I just used it as a recent example.Thought you'd understand that.
As I stated,I have driven extensively on motorways and can honestly say middle lane hogging is not a problem that has blighted many of my journeys.
Our experiences obviously differ.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here