Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tackle's fine > Yellow card > I'm going to change the yellow card to red card

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Has this been covered on here at all?

PGMOL have released the audio of another VAR decision where Malo Gusto received a red card when Chelsea lost to Villa.

Quite interesting how Jarred Gillett went from his initial assessment of "Tackle's fine" to giving a yellow card, after advice from his assistants, to finally giving a red card when VAR got involved.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It's very easy to argue about the decisions which are subjective.
I think the officials did well in what were borderline yellow/reds.
Possibly both red cards but you would probably end up playing 9 a side every week.
It highlights how difficult it is.

I would prefer it if when they call the ref over to look at the screen the other officials would shut up and let him decide what he wants to do rather than offering a load of advice.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
It seems the major difference is where the player who is hit is, I don’t see how the player who is attacking can control that at all?

They both see the ball, both go for ball, both hit the ball but the first one the other player was running and ended up in a bad position - this just seems a bit ridiculous and neither should be red?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
All very 'matey' isn't it.
I agree with that.

Should follow a very tight script as they do for cricket, which starts with confirming the on field decision. No idea why they haven't done this from the start. It's like two blokes down the pub. Terribly unprofessional.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It seems the major difference is where the player who is hit is, I don’t see how the player who is attacking can control that at all?

They both see the ball, both go for ball, both hit the ball but the first one the other player was running and ended up in a bad position - this just seems a bit ridiculous and neither should be red?
I agree. This was the thing that pissed me off most about the Stephens/Ramirez red back on THAT day.

The ref's decision shouldn't be influenced whatsoever by the outcome. The laws of the game only speak about INTENT, not OUTCOME. You can't base decisions on whether the tacklee is unlucky or not, it has to be about whether the tackler went into the tackle correctly or not.

Vincent Kompany absolutely flew 2-footed into Nani a few years back. Luckily Nani is athletic and jumped out of the way, but Kompany can't control that. It was still correctly given as a red card, even though no contact whatsoever was made.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree. This was the thing that pissed me off most about the Stephens/Ramirez red back on THAT day.

The ref's decision shouldn't be influenced whatsoever by the outcome. The laws of the game only speak about INTENT, not OUTCOME. You can't base decisions on whether the tacklee is unlucky or not, it has to be about whether the tackler went into the tackle correctly or not.
I agree with that. Calde broke a player's leg and got a red card straight away. He was distraught and visited the player in hospital. His red card was rescinded on appeal as it was a horrible accident.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
They really are the most supportive colleagues aren’t they?! 😂 Dread to think what they’re like in the dressing room before, lots of man hugs, bum slaps and “go smash it”s! I bet their LinkedIn pages make you want to vomit!

Still thank that Gusto one was a harsh red. Especially as I had him in my FPL team!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Ah, Jarred Gillett. The VAR who didn't think this was a penalty.

digne3.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here