Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tablet advice

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Dump the PC and windows, get an iPad. It does everything a pc does, but quicker, and more agile.

1066gull

If you want a tablet get an iPad. They're class, everyone I know has one and we all love them. Most I know have 16gb including me which is more than enough for what I use it for.

Regularly dumping the contents in my photo album on to my external hard drive with my 16gb. really wish i had more because my music is 15gb and my ipod is currently kaput! One thing that annoys me is the battery, Apple have already double the battery size with the iPad 3 from the iPad 2 (i got the 3) but they need to double it again to sustain the battery drain from the apps I use. iPad 4 will be tonne to carry then.....

I really do like the iPad, so helpful to get work done, but all Apple have really done is taken the iPhone 4 and magnified it. The display pixels are the same as the iPhone, but because its a bigger screen it does not look as sharp. There are others with sharper resolutions but if you want to go for simplicity stick with an iDevice

1066gull

Regarding all this dump the PC stuff, I agree. I am going to be building my own from scratch to cater for my needs. Sharp and instant. And Windows 8 is so simple to use, none of you even realise it because it looks different to the past 20 years of Windows. If you want to open an application on Windows 8, all you need to do is start typing without clicking anything and it opens it in a second..... Seriously give Windows 8 a chance. This is the first time since 2004 I have favoured Microsoft over Apple and in five years time I will be proven why

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Dump the PC and windows, get an iPad. It does everything a pc does, but quicker, and more agile.

except word processing and spread sheets.
Love my Ipad for web surfing but when office in needed i have to go back to the laptop

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If you want to open an application on Windows 8, all you need to do is start typing without clicking anything and it opens it in a second.....

wowo, it has a search function? imagine if they had that for t'interwebs, that would be awesome.

i like how you've found typing is a such a boon for a OS design to be touch based ... :lolol:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Which means what?

Has anyone ever had to call microsoft because of a problem or am i missing something.

means no more security updates. it also means other software vendors wont support XP because they cant lay off issues to MS.

D

Deleted member 18477

Regularly dumping the contents in my photo album on to my external hard drive with my 16gb. really wish i had more because my music is 15gb and my ipod is currently kaput! One thing that annoys me is the battery, Apple have already double the battery size with the iPad 3 from the iPad 2 (i got the 3) but they need to double it again to sustain the battery drain from the apps I use. iPad 4 will be tonne to carry then.....

I really do like the iPad, so helpful to get work done, but all Apple have really done is taken the iPhone 4 and magnified it. The display pixels are the same as the iPhone, but because its a bigger screen it does not look as sharp. There are others with sharper resolutions but if you want to go for simplicity stick with an iDevice

Depends what you use it for. I have a laptop and iPod classic with all my music on. A Samsung galaxy phone with some of my music on and an iPad with none of my music on just apps mainly. Always use the iPad for Internet and emails but sort and download my music on my laptop. In fact that's all I use my laptop for to be honest.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must admit that I use office a lot and would only use a tablet for surfing or NSC so I am going towards clearing the pc and then installing windows 7. To make if run faster and more efficiently would I need to just have more memory installed and is this always possible`

1066gull

Best thing I done ( computer thing ) was get rid of my old, slow PC and buy an ipad
Depends how you build it. If you want to get things done quick regarding photos and video you want a large HDD hard drive for all those files, with your system operating on to brand new SDD internals. Most people always go wrong on the memory so need 16gb to get good performance. (16gb is the limit these days, in comparison BBC have computers with 64gb running Avid machines). Fit bluetooth, firewire and usb 3.0 appliances and you pretty much have a ultra quick responsive computer than can sync with all your devices wirelessly

1066gull

I must admit that I use office a lot and would only use a tablet for surfing or NSC so I am going towards clearing the pc and then installing windows 7. To make if run faster and more efficiently would I need to just have more memory installed and is this always possible`

Microsoft Office is a waste of money these days, if you have reliable connectivity to the internet Google Docs does the job. Seriously save the money on that by building a better computer

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Buy an IMac not a windows PC mate !!

1066gull

Buy an IMac not a windows PC mate !!

Apple are ridiculously overpriced and are on the slide. I have the iPad but will only stop at there, the future is the Windows Phone with its remarkable camera technology. Can build superior devices to an iMac or Macbook with a PC. After all no one uses mac servers

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

*if* shortage of memory is causing performance issues, yes, more memory will help. but simply not opening so many application might help, or cleaning up as before, particularly getting rid of tool bars or other "cool" or background utilities. using Office and browsing on a cleaned up XP, 2GB is more than fine. also, more than 4GB is usless if still on 32bit (assume you are).

1066gull

*if* shortage of memory is causing performance issues, yes, more memory will help. but simply not opening so many application might help, or cleaning up as before, particularly getting rid of tool bars or other "cool" or background utilities. using Office and browsing on a cleaned up XP, 2GB is more than fine. also, more than 4GB is usless if still on 32bit (assume you are).

But the ability to multitask greatly improves productivity at the end of the day which is what most people want. Forget to mention I use apps like Photoshop and Premiere which is why I warrant my memory. But also keeping the number of apps to a minimum helps a lot too. I will not make any alterations to my XP pc, its not worth it but I want to build a new one completely from scratch so the OS is put on the 60gb SDD internal hard drive and all my apps will be on a 1TB HDD SATA. The SDD costs a bomb but my god the processing power is ridiculous. If it presently takes your PC 3 minutes to start up on a traditional SATA on the new SDD it takes less than 30 seconds. But these SDD's cost 50pence a Gigabyte which is why I can only afford 60gb

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

So basically what you are saying is that a full system restore back to factory settings should achieve that having copied all files etc to an external hard drive.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
But the ability to multitask greatly improves productivity at the end of the day which is what most people want

arsehats. multitasking may improve productivity in the office, but is pretty meaningless for home users. just how many web sites can you read at once? how many documents can you write at once? can you actually do both at the same time? no. couple of docs/spreadsheets and a dozen broswer pages will run fine in 2GB.

and BG, yes, a reset to factory is a good idea. however, make sure you back up data and have any software media to hand. it'll take a day too once you reinstall everything, try hour cleaning and defrag overnight to see if there's easy improvement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here