Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] T20 World Cup 2022 in Australia

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Tournament proper is underway, although the big teams are still playing warm ups and waiting their turn while the qualification round is underway.

In Group A you've got Netherlands, Namibia, UAE, and Sri Lanka. Three minnows and a full test playing nation. Namibia sprang a shock on day 1 of the tournament by beating Sri Lanka by 55 runs to open up the group massively when it comes to qualification for the Super 12's round. Two teams will advance, and as it stands today Sri Lanka are in trouble. Netherlands are in a good position if they avoid defeat against Sri Lanka in their final group game (2 wins from 2, still to play Sri Lanka), while Namibia have 1 win and 1 loss - but their final game is against UAE, who haven't shown much as yet with two losses. Namibia also have a very good net run rate thanks to their big win against Sri Lanka, so in the event SL beat Netherlands it would be Namibia and SL who go through and Netherlands who miss out (they have the worst NRR of the three, so must not lose vs SL).

There's a similar story unfolding in Group B, where West Indies find themselves in early trouble having been well beaten by Scotland in their first game. The Group sees Ireland, Scotland, West Indies, and Zimbabwe battling it out. Early results suggest this is going to be a very tight group:

Scotland thrashed West Indies
Zimbabwe thrashed Ireland
Ireland narrowly beat Scotland
West Indies are currently playing Zimbabwe - the result could be very important. West Indies batting first and have 52/1 in the 7th over so far. Will be watching this one while working, as if WI lose they are OUT. If they win, then everything goes into the final group matches as all teams will be on 2 points. Those games will be WI vs Ire and Scot vs Zim.

Australia and England are matched up in the same Super 12's group along with New Zealand and Afghanistan. Aus vs Eng match is 28th October, fairly late in the Super 12's round and could be a key game for qualifying for the next stage. Having said that, Australia's form in the warm ups has been DIRE, so the Aussies may already be out by then.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Hoping that NL will advance as it will mean qualification for the next world cup too. It helps for the Dutch that the better players aren't playing for their counties this time round, unlike when they played England, Pakistan and New Zealand in the summer.

Sri Lanka will be a big test, but it's certainly winnable.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Hoping that NL will advance as it will mean qualification for the next world cup too. It helps for the Dutch that the better players aren't playing for their counties this time round, unlike when they played England, Pakistan and New Zealand in the summer.

Sri Lanka will be a big test, but it's certainly winnable.
I think my preference for the teams who advance from each group are:

Group A
- Netherlands (similar reasons to yours)
- Namibia (they deserve it for handing Sri Lanka their backsides on a plate)

Group B
- Scotland (they deserve it for thrashing West Indies)
- Ireland (apart from anything else, they do pretty well given how many of their players are lost to England or English county cricket)

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Wheels falling off for the Windies - they've lost 3 wickets in 9 balls ... err, make that 4 in 12 to be 101/6 after 14.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I think the format is excellent and pity football world cup is not similar. No meaningless games because top 8 seeds are through to last 12. 8 lesser teams have opportunity to be at world cup and have playoffs so the top 4 can join the final 12.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Wheels falling off for the Windies - they've lost 3 wickets in 9 balls ... err, make that 4 in 12 to be 101/6 after 14.
Windes recovered to make a competitive 153.

Zim chase starts with a boom, however, taking 18 from the first over.

Edit: carnage. Zim 22 from 7 balls

Edit 2: make that 23 from 6, first ball of 2nd over was a No Ball.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Looking forward to the 28th an awful lot. Never been to a Eng v Aus bash and run chase before, could be a little raucous I hope!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Windies beat Zimbabwe, so Group B is now 2 points to everyone.

Scotland vs Zimbabwe - winner advances (Scot advances if a washout)
Windies vs Ireland - winner advances (Windies advances if a washout)

If both games are washed out, then Scot and Zim advance.

The Tassie Seagull

Dave Clarkson's Left Sock
Hopefully shouldn't be rain affected, although weather down here for Saturday is rubbish. Tas jr had a great day out there on Monday as one of the kids who walked onto the pitch with the players. Very impressed to be paired up with Nicholas Pooran for the WI v Scot game.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Not hearing that much about it over here as it is being shown on a pay to veiw platform and nowhere on free to air TV.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not hearing that much about it over here as it is being shown on a pay to veiw platform and nowhere on free to air TV.
Weird isn't it. I am not that interested in cricket but still didn't know it had started until my brother messeged me from the UK to tell me it was in Geelong.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Sri Lanka have beaten Netherlands this morning and progress to the next round. Namibia vs UAE has just started. If Namibia win, they will also advance and Netherlands will be dumped out despite having the same points - due to worse run rate.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
When this was originally planned before lockdown, I had tickets for all the England games, the semi finals and final. I had taken a few weeks leave and my company was happy for me to base myself in our Sydney office to top it up a bit so I would have had 5+ weeks down there. I am watching all of the rearranged tournament on TV 😫

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Sri Lanka have beaten Netherlands this morning and progress to the next round. Namibia vs UAE has just started. If Namibia win, they will also advance and Netherlands will be dumped out despite having the same points - due to worse run rate.
Hoping for an Emirati miracle but can't see it.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
So Netherlands go out even though they have beaten Namibia...

Crap format

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
So Netherlands go out even though they have beaten Namibia...

Crap format
Yup. Or Namibia lose today and Netherlands go through.

But if Nambia win, the triangle at the top of that group would look like this:

Nam def. SL
SL def. Neth
Neth def. Nam

So you can't tiebreak on basis of who beat who. Hence why cricket uses the net run rate tiebreaker.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Yup. Or Namibia lose today and Netherlands go through.

But if Nambia win, the triangle at the top of that group would look like this:

Nam def. SL
SL def. Neth
Neth def. Nam

So you can't tiebreak on basis of who beat who. Hence why cricket uses the net run rate tiebreaker.
Cheers...

My 50% Dutch is lent to the UAE for the next 90 minutes ( Disclaimer...Cricket only )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here