Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

T20 cricket this has to stop.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I think we might be falling into a bit of a trap: the big city franchise works for the Aussie's Big Bash and therefore will work in England. I think one of the problems is that whereas the Aussie set-up simply reflects existing state teams ours would be very artificial and super-imposed on the existing fist class structure. When you look at counties like Essex and Sussex we do OK now (especially if we could string some wins together!) and yet would be frozen out of the big time franchises. If the counties then became feeders for the franchises it would inevitably relegate the non-franchise teams to second tier status.
I suspect the whole thing will be driven by the broadcasters - but no-one will pay top dollar to broadcast games played in half-empty stadia. Meanwhile great to see impoverished Northants giving the bigger boys a bloody nose.....................

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
We invented t20 and are now lagging the rest of the world with our version. I think we have to change it.
We should trial day-night county (and maybe test) matches too, the inaugural aus vs nz one last year was a big success.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Don't they want 2 T20 cups?

A county one and franchise one?

That is my understanding, a franchise one which will be played over one short period with far more overseas players permitted with games played at test grounds or other large stadia with drop in pitches such as London Stadium. At the same time the existing county T20 Friday with run alongside but over the season as now.

The question is wil the franchise format attract new fans to the game, or will existing county fans shun it as their county is not involved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here