Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Switzerland seeded for the World Cup ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What's the alternative then? Do you have a committee sitting down and agreeing on the seedings when it will be based on opinions. The rankings aren't perfect but they are transparent. There is a formula and that's that. Also, as mentioned on the thread that dealt with this earlier, can you name the only team that has beaten Spain at the last three major tournaments, ie two Euros and one world cup.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
This was the Swiss group for Qualifying
1 Switzerland 10 11 24
2 Iceland 10 2 17
3 Slovenia 10 3 15
4 Norway 10 -3 12
5 Albania 10 -2 11
6 Cyprus 10 -11 5

And this was their group to qualify for the South Africa World Cup

Switzerland 10 6 3 1 18 8 21
Greece 10 6 2 2 20 10 20
Latvia 10 5 2 3 18 15 17
Israel 10 4 4 2 20 10 16
Luxembourg 10 1 2 7 4 25 5
Moldova 10 0 3 7 6 18 3

Does anyone expect some interference from Sepp Blater when these draws are made :rolleyes:

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I think I said before that our previous top seedings, on the basis of concerns about our supporters, mean we can't shout too loud !

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
The rankings have one big flaw: the more games, particularly competitive ones, you play the higher the ranking. Host countries tend to go down rankings (Brazil lowest ever I think) because don't play many competitive games.

S American countries do well because they play 16 qualifying matches worth 2.5 times the ranking points of friendlies. Uruguay are high because of winning Copa America 2011 and SF in South Africa.

Italy bombed with a 2-2 vs Armenia so Switzerland pipped them and Holland by a tiny margin. 2 more 2013 qualifying wins definitely (and 1 possibly) would have got England in top 7. France have lost out big time by being in a small qualifying group with just 8 matches so are not even a seed in the Euro play offs - could get Portugal or Croatia.

I am not one ot rubbish the rankings - any system is flawed - but they should try to even out the impact of playing more competitive matches.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
What's the alternative then? Do you have a committee sitting down and agreeing on the seedings when it will be based on opinions. The rankings aren't perfect but they are transparent. There is a formula and that's that. Also, as mentioned on the thread that dealt with this earlier, can you name the only team that has beaten Spain at the last three major tournaments, ie two Euros and one world cup.

Oh yeah just looked down the bottom of page and just seen the other thread - oops got away with that quite lightly
On a final note then from me FIFA IS CORRUPT!!!!!!!!

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
My 8 seedlings would have been, quite simply because every World Cup you know one of the winners will come from this lot or at least they generally make it to the semis - Put England in there cause we invented the fecking game OK!!!!!!:thumbsup:
Brazil
Argentina
Italy
Germany
Holland
Spain
England
Draw lots for the 8th seed

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Assume the following win their play-offs
Uraguay
Portugal
France
Croatia
Sweden
Ivory Coast
Nigeria
Tunisia
Ghana
Burkina Faso

Based on current rankings, the four pots could look something like this.

Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, Colombia and probably Uruguay.
Netherlands, Italy, England, Chile, USA, Portugal, Bosnia, Ivory Coast,
Croatia, Russia, France, Ecuador, Ghana, Mexico, Sweden, Costa Rica
Nigeria, Japan, Honduras, Tunisia, Iran, Burkina Faso, South Korea, Australia

However it is likely that pots 2, 3 and 4 will be on a regional basis. One could assume then that we are likely to end up with a south american seeded team and then it's a question of the quality of the other two teams. Based on 2010 draw, the pots could be

Pot 2. Asian, North American, Oceania
South Korea, USA, Japan, Mexico, Honduras, Iran, Australia, Costa Rica

Pot 3. Africa and South America
Nigeria, Tunisia, Ivory Coast, Ecuador, Ghana, Chile, Burkina Faso

Pot 4. Europe
Netherlands, Italy, England, Portugal, Bosnia, Croatia, Russia, France, Sweden

There are 9 non-seeded European teams and only 7 African/South American so one of the Euro teams could go into pot 3. That could be by drawing out of a hat or, more preferable, by ranking which means it would be Sweden. We could therefore end up in a group of Argentina, USA and Sweden!!

Still, speculation but role on the draw.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That's the big issue with their ranking system. You would have thought it not beyond the realms of possibility to work out some kind of equation that takes the ranking of your opponent into consideration. As I understand it, we would have got the same ranking points for beating Poland and Montenegro as we got for beating San Marino.

Suggest you take the time to look at the ranking webpage as it explains how points are allocated based on the quality of the opposition.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Brazil
England
France
Nigeria
:facepalm:
Could be one scenario going by your rankings Drew
I love the World Cup Draw

Group of death springs to mind however based on previous draws that couldn't happen as there would have to be a team from Pot 2, Asia, North America and Oceania.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I'd love to see England get drawn into a "group of death". The last World Cup we had a piss easy group and that led to some abject performances and a 4-0 drubbing from the first decent team we had to play.

Yes. England in a group of death and being written off by the press before a ball's even been kicked would suit me (and the England team) fine.

D

Deleted member 18477

There will only be 2 teams from the same continent in a group. Pots 2-4 are regional based.

We could still end up with a group of death though for sure.

Regardless I LOVE the World Cup! Absolutely buzzing for the draw in December now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here