Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Switzerland-FIFA corruption?

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Your link says: "A team's total number of points over a four-year period is determined by..."

Although points depreciate over time, so only those gained in the last year are worth the full amount.

Ahh ok, I was going on the first line that said its done over the last 12 months. I did wonder what the other bit meant with the "Avg. Weight" bit.

It all boils down to 2 points in the rankings table, it's just unfortunate for Holland/Italy that the seedings line falls where it does. A friendly really can prove the difference between a seeding or not.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
According to the BBC article about this, they are now placing far more emphasis on recent results rather than previous tournaments. So I guess Switzerland's decent qualifying results and recent run is behind their ranking (7th) being high enough to make them a seed. The fact they were playing a bunch of pub teams in that qualifying group is irrelevant because the formula isn't designed to take this into account.

Having said all that, Holland won 9 and drew 1 of their 10 qualifiers, finished second in the last World Cup and won 9 of their 10 qualifiers for Euro 2012 (before, admittedly, having a poor tournament). In comparison, Switzerland won 7 of their 10 qualifiers this time, got knocked out in the group stage of the last World Cup and failed to even qualify for Euro 2012. Why exactly are Switzerland above Holland?

Quality of the opposition is taken into account in the calculation as well as the strength of the confederation they are from.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Its true , its deliberate

FIFA want a Switzerland versus Norway Final.

They think it will keep the neutrals interested.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
They drew against world ranked 134 Cyprus and world ranked 46 Iceland twice in qualifying. I know their record looks good on paper but I'm pretty sure even Wales or Scotland would have had a good chance of qualifying from that group.

If you win games, you go up the Fifa rankings.

Again, nothing 'mysterious' about it.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Switzerland's group for Euro 2012 qualifying had England and Croatia in it, did it not? Circles and roundabouts.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Its true , its deliberate

FIFA want a Switzerland versus Norway Final.

They think it will keep the neutrals interested.

Well, if Norway reach the final of the next World Cup, I'd be in full agreement that it's a fix

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
It's funny, because I remember the days when England were seeded at World Cups just to keep all their fans in one place ! Many other nations were not best pleased.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here