Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swindon Town vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
We are Brighton & Hove Albion, not Barcelona. I really think some people struggle to remember this when setting out their idea of what our expectations ought to be.

However many millions we had to spend, whatever our average attendance was, 10th place in the toughest and most competitive league in the country in our first season back in said leagye is a far better achievement than you are making it out to be, and to write off all the progress we have made under Gus on the basis of one shitty League Cup defeat is short-sightedness at its most extreme. We will not win every game, we will not play perfectly every time out - this does not make us shit, nor our manager untalented, it makes us just like every other football team on this planet.

Were we poor tonight? Yes we were. We also had nearly half a first team, including two key creative players, missing from the lineup. Had we had those 5 players (Crofts, CMS, KLL, Buckley, El Abd) on the pitch, would the result have been different? Yes, it probably would have.

Have lessons been learnt from last season's shortcomings? Of course they have, just because they were not in evidence tonight (against, to give them their due, a good Swindon side who should do well in League One this season) does not mean they have not been learnt.

Perhaps you're the one who is too easily forgetting where this club has come from in a bloody short space of time.

Good post but I think you're wasting your breath on the miserabilists.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Let's look at the positives.
Pleased we are out of the competition.
Glad Vicente up front didn't work - stick to what he is best at in midfield, and it reinforces our requirement for another forward.
Proved Dicker and Harley aren't good enough - Dicker may make the bench.
Showed again that Noone needs to look up and pass when coming off the bench. Seems that all our wingers are prone to injury. Bring back Peter O'Sullivan, he was rarely injured in all those years on the wing!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
People can be pissed off with a turgid performance, it hurts.

Most of realise in the grand scheme of things it does'nt matter to much but it still HURTS watching us look like a pub team on TV.

I think the problem is that you then get complete twunts like [MENTION=1517]junior[/MENTION] and [MENTION=21699]DBL[/MENTION] calling for Gus's head. Yes it hurts but anyone with even a brain cell can see it was ONE f***ing MATCH !

Benjyman1990

Registered Boon.
Jul 31, 2011
North Stand & Worthing
Can i just say that obviously my comments about a refund for my ST and Poyet out were obviously sarcastic! I am a proud Albion fan, and i don't give a s**t about tonight.. We're ten times the team we were a few years ago at the Withdean, and i wouldn't change that for anything! Tonight was a bit of a reality check at the most, but it isn't the be all and end all.. Hopefully the players will have learnt something and on Saturday against Hull we can get business started!! Anyone who is seriously annoyed about tonight should cheer the f**k up.. Poyet knows what he is doing, in Poyet we trust!

D

Deleted member 2719

Spoils the week even if you know it's an irrelevance

Yes it certainly does, especially when we deserved to get beat. The main positive for me was it looked like Bruno hates losing, but the best thing tonight was that Pompey got stuffed as well.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We are Brighton & Hove Albion, not Barcelona. I really think some people struggle to remember this when setting out their idea of what our expectations ought to be.

However many millions we had to spend, whatever our average attendance was, 10th place in the toughest and most competitive league in the country in our first season back in said leagye is a far better achievement than you are making it out to be, and to write off all the progress we have made under Gus on the basis of one shitty League Cup defeat is short-sightedness at its most extreme. We will not win every game, we will not play perfectly every time out - this does not make us shit, nor our manager untalented, it makes us just like every other football team on this planet.

Were we poor tonight? Yes we were. We also had nearly half a first team, including two key creative players, missing from the lineup. Had we had those 5 players (Crofts, CMS, KLL, Buckley, El Abd) on the pitch, would the result have been different? Yes, it probably would have.

Have lessons been learnt from last season's shortcomings? Of course they have, just because they were not in evidence tonight (against, to give them their due, a good Swindon side who should do well in League One this season) does not mean they have not been learnt.

Perhaps you're the one who is too easily forgetting where this club has come from in a bloody short space of time.

Sorry but it's not where the club has come from, I speak of someone who has been a ST for 38 years, i know where we have, it's that we have not learnt from last year. We played the same way many times away from home with no penetration at all. Barnes will never be a lone striker and so will not Vicente. This lack of a signing is doing my head in, other clubs are managing it. The players missing would make a difference but injuries suspensions etc happen throughout the season, and it's obvious if they do we're are not good enough in depth.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Just got back.......disappointing and rusty performance. Glad to get that out of the way, onwards and upwards :thumbsup:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
When the ball hits the net its Navarro

Congrats to Swindon, they looked a good side. Williams looked a better bet than Noone (but not better than Buckley) and Navarro (I still have not deleted him in favour of Vicente as my favourite Albion player on NSC) looked like that midfielder that could arrive in the box at the right time. Their back four looked better than ours, although I thought Dunk and Bruno played well. Swindon reminded me a bit of Cardiff who caused Liverpool trouble in the Final last year (Benson reminded me of Mason). I did not think Harley did too badly (did not do anything good though) but Dicker was anonymous to me.

Alas, I think Murray might have put away at least one of the the two good chances that well to Ashley Barnes. I thought Noone just might have improved on his failings at crossing and shooting. Alas, the same as before. His first touch was well Ok though, not quite as good as Buckley, but better than Lualua.

We are not suddenly a bad side. Neither are Chelsea. I though Chelsea played quite well against us but lacking that sharpness in attack and we were the same tonight. It will always be like that unless we get another Peter Ward or Bobby Z.

When the ball hits the net its Navarro.

PS: when the draw was announced I was glad we were not facing Northampton!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Magnificent post. My feelings about this awful performance are far more than just the wanky 3-0 routing, but that has added perspective to the footballing side of my disappointment. Danke.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
only 3 players looked like they cared bruno, bridcut, and when he came on calderon,harley was pants and dicker worse

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Swindon done very well tonight, If they play like that for the rest of the season then we'll be playing them next season but if we play like we did tonight for the rest of the season then they could well be passing us on our way down. Still very positive for this season though, quite happy we're out the cup as now we can concentrate fully on the league, top 6 finish hopefully!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

I havent and will never forget nothing....Poyet has done well,nothing more nothing less.This season is his acid test and last night as an opener,was shite......We havent even played a league game yet and he is slagging individuals,,,,,,he picks the side no one else.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Well that was awful. We need that striker. Although without better delivery he won't get many goals, Noone was dreadful.

At least Gus proved that system with Vicente up front doesn't work, in a game that doesn't matter.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sorry but it's not where the club has come from, I speak of someone who has been a ST for 38 years, i know where we have, it's that we have not learnt from last year. We played the same way many times away from home with no penetration at all. Barnes will never be a lone striker and so will not Vicente. This lack of a signing is doing my head in, other clubs are managing it. The players missing would make a difference but injuries suspensions etc happen throughout the season, and it's obvious if they do we're are not good enough in depth.

Yup, an aggressive yet skilful striker who has done it at this level or above is essential. If we don't get one we are going to struggle to get above mid table. Our forwards are not capable of causing panic in the box, too lightweight.

Anyone who can't see we need "presence" in the box is wearing those tinted specs.

Last edited:

boik

I think the problem is that you then get complete twunts like [MENTION=1517]junior[/MENTION] and [MENTION=21699]DBL[/MENTION] calling for Gus's head. Yes it hurts but anyone with even a brain cell can see it was ONE f***ing MATCH !

I think they must be very young. I've just speed-read this thread, and when you do it jumps out at you who are the immature people. Football is full of ups and downs lads, that's a major part of it's attraction. If the "big" clubs nalways beat the "small" clubs then then would be no point us watching matches against say Chelsea, Sunderland, or Newcastle to pick three at random!!

Everyone has off days - I bet even young young whippsersnappers are perfect every day (although I bet you think you are!). Just enjoy the good days, and encourage the team when they're struggling. That's called being a supporter - different from being a fan.

off to work now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here