Swift Sports Retirement Sale

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Absolutely loved popping in there to buy my airflow balls for the school playground and then first football boots - puma kings - and then first rugby boots and cricket bat - Michael Atherton Powersport blue by Gray Nicholls - and in later years when back from Uni always made a beeline there to purchase each pair of Predators.

Am amazed your old man is still going as I always thought he was about 70 from the age of 10 onwards! (I'm 35 now)

I wish him a very happy and long retirement.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'm really sorry to hear this. I bought my scout uniform from Swift Sports (well, my Mum did) and always remember
a friendly and great service. Please pass on my best wishes to your Dad.

Cub Scout uniform from Swift Sports, jeez that brought some memories back. 14th Brighton Cubs, later 56th Brighton Scouts, now where are those BB toffs?!

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Worth a read for sure, especially if you've ever played any village cricket. Simkins was the after dinner speaker at our cricket club dinner a couple of years ago - people were crying with laughter. Very funny.

I'm very much a village cricketer (well, I live in London but the standard's certainly village!). Will check it out.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Best wishes to your dad on his retirement, but I must say this is so sad to see that shop close. It's a Brighton institution, a constant and a reminder of my youth. The best sports shop I've ever been in. Bought my first football boots in there, a beautiful pair of Patricks with light blue stripes, my treasured cricket bat and cricket bag, and every other thing you can imagine (even a snooker cue).

All good things come to an end, I'm gutted.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Very sorry to hear this; I've bought lots of football boots, trainers and cricket gear there over the years in preference to the chains. I hope your Dad has a very happy retirement.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I used to take my lads in there and it was a great shop for buying unusual football shirts before they became big business. They had rather snazzy Ajax away shirts, Dutch & many others.

Brighton Boy

Nov 11, 2003
Lancing
Great little shop. Used to get my puma kings there and my Hove Park Colts orange socks as Swift Sports were the official provider for HPC socks.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Swift Sports, David Rose all memories and happy ones at least the Jogging Shop is still going!

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Loved Sport shops
Didn't go to Swifts much only because it was a distance away, always liked the window display there (football shirts/sports bags etc) when passing though.
These thread has given great memories of when purchased my first 2 piece snooker cue at the age of probably about 12 from David Rose.
I was going to be world champion one day with this cue, this was put to bed though when I had to start wearing glasses and no way would I be wearing Dennis Taylor type glasses to achieve my dream.
My local shop was in Boundary Road/Station Road, Portslade think was called Sports Corner
Bought all my gear from there, tracksuit bottoms were a regular purchase seem to recall and green snooker chalk (always thought I was the first ever to use it)
Thought about setting up a sports shop but didn't think would be a viable business and never really had the start-up funds to do so

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I was 12 years old in 1972 and remember Swift Sports having a pair of Adidas 2000 football boots in the window for the then astronomical price of £10. They were absolutely beautiful, I can see them now. They were however way out of my price bracket, and I eventually settled for a pair of St Crispins Wings which were a about £1.50 if my memory serves me right.

Best wishes to your dad

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
What sad news - my parents also bought my Cubs & Scouts uniforms from Swift Sports in the 1960s and early 1970s. Both my sons have bought sports gear from the shop, recognising the value of personal service and as they said 'it's different to Sports Direct'. As recently as August, we bought a quality cricket bat, gloves and ball. Have a happy retirement and thank you for the memories and quality service. You will be sadly missed - and we will always remember Swift Sports as we drive past (almost daily as we head up Edward Street).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Wow - another Brighton institution going. My Mum always brought mine and my brothers cub and scout uniforms from there despite being a cub leader herself which you would have thought would have encouraged her to buy them from the Scout Shop in St James Street.

As an adult I always used to get my badminton racket re-strung at Swifts as they always got the tightness just right.

I can see the shop from my work desk so it's going to be a sad day when it's gone. I hope your Dad has a long and happy retirement.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Tell your old man thanks. Swifts was Brighton sport. in my youth.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
First Two Way books and now this, end of an era
Bought a couple of Gray Nicholls in there : top drawer.
Most memorable shot was when representing the company (5,000 staff) footy team against the cricket team I was put down at a insulting no 7 in the batting order. Anyway the cricket teams prized opening speed merchant returned from a break for some cheap wickets and after a 30 yard run up my GN was played straight and true as my first ball I faced sailed over the dismayed & astonished bowlers head for a 6

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Yep, fond memories of my parents buying my cubs and scout uniforms from swifts sports and the massive investment in my first cricket bat for £20 in 1975

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports