Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansea City and Gary Monk.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Havent they all been sacked multiple times .........................
By teams who have gone on to be considerably worse after the event.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
CH was sacked by Naarch five matches from the end of the season, four of them deemed unwinnable because they were against Champions League contenders. The other was at Fulham, and Norwich dominated but lost 1-0, thanks to a certain Fulham goalkeeper named David Stockdale. I imagine CH's heart must be lifted every time he sees our fab stopper.

On the subject of Monk, the players weren't playing for him on Saturday. The fact that Ashley Williams, the club captain, was showered, changed and pacing the players' tunnel looking to settle a score with Riyad Mahrez five minutes after the final whistle instead of helping to rally the troops says it all. There'd also been a pre-match altercation between Sigurdsson and Shelvey when the latter refused to sit on the bench. All the local press knew that Monk was a goner, and the fact that Williams behaved as he did in front of journos suggests a complete breakdown of discipline at the club.

Well it was CH that got them to that point where those last unwinnable matches effected their survival ....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Don't think Pulis has been sacked multiple times: he was sacked by Gillingham for non-footballing reasons. sacked by that basket-case Portsmouth and sacked by Stoke (first time round) for not following chairman's wishes. And Pardew has been sacked a few times (but again, twice were for non-footballing reasons).

And it's no coincidence that three of these managed Newcastle - a club with a ridiculous sense of entitlement. Ashley would probably sack Guardiola if he got them to seventh

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
As opposed to who exactly?

Off the top of my head I can think of Pep as the only 'top' manager who decided to move on but Bayern is only his second club.

Ancelotti, Mourinho and Ferguson, arguably the 3 best managers of the modern era, have all been given the boot at one time or another.

Allardyce, as painful as it is to admit it, is bloody good at what he does and (slightly surprisingly considering his reputation) has long been one of the more forward thinking managers in terms of using data analysis to improve performance and shape his team. Or, you know, you can just ignore that.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
CH was sacked by Naarch five matches from the end of the season, four of them deemed unwinnable because they were against Champions League contenders. The other was at Fulham, and Norwich dominated but lost 1-0, thanks to a certain Fulham goalkeeper named David Stockdale. I imagine CH's heart must be lifted every time he sees our fab stopper.

On the subject of Monk, the players weren't playing for him on Saturday. The fact that Ashley Williams, the club captain, was showered, changed and pacing the players' tunnel looking to settle a score with Riyad Mahrez five minutes after the final whistle instead of helping to rally the troops says it all. There'd also been a pre-match altercation between Sigurdsson and Shelvey when the latter refused to sit on the bench. All the local press knew that Monk was a goner, and the fact that Williams behaved as he did in front of journos suggests a complete breakdown of discipline at the club.

What was the beef between Williams and Mahrez about ?

Oct 25, 2003
He's right and you're wrong. He really hasn't failed anywhere he's gone, unless you include Newcastle (and that one is highly debatable):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Allardyce

you're right. Allardyce was particularly harshly done by at Newcastle and I'd imagine most Newcastle fans would have him back in an instant

he may not play 'pretty' football (which is perhaps putting it mildly) but he has done well at every club he's been at. He has the respect of a lot of top managers as they recognise that his teams are extremely hard to play against. I used to be a bit of an Allardyce snob but I've warmed to him lately and have recognised him as a very good managers

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
it might be worth considering the reasons behind a sacking. It's not always due to poor results. Fergie was sacked more due to internal issues at St Mirren and I remember Adkins being sacked from Saints due to how the chairman saw the club working (Adkins wasn't keen on particular systems and formations). Had he been top of the Prem it might have gotten overlooked, but you know how it goes.

A more recent example would be Mark Warburton, manager sacked yet this wasn't really a comment on his success with the club.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Well it was CH that got them to that point where those last unwinnable matches effected their survival ....

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT A MINUTE

You have to remember that at that point they were 5 points clear of the bottom 3 - So The position was not a bad position and Man Utd were in freefall at the end of that season and in the end one win would have kept Norwich up, so ''The Cook'' and her cronies crumbled so to speak

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What was the beef between Williams and Mahrez about ?

I think it started when Mahrez fouled Taylor, the left back, in a sliding tackle and then as he was trying to get up, Williams went to retrieve the ball and accidentally-on-purpose trod on Mahrez' hand. There was a bit of eyeballing and later as Williams was running back to cover a Leicester break, Mahrez had a sneaky kick off the ball. Ref Michael Oliver - definitely one of the best around at the moment, IMHO - gave them both a bit of a talking-to, but it was obvious from Williams' body language and stare in the opposite direction while Oliver was talking that he wasn't having it.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
SSN; Swansea are interested in Avram Grant taking over from Gary Monk. Words fail me. Surely one of the most uninspirational managers of all time. Mumbled his way through a season with a half decent West Ham and presided over relegation. Why do clubs constantly look for the foreign option or the previously tried and failed option?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
SSN; Swansea are interested in Avram Grant taking over from Gary Monk. Words fail me. Surely one of the most uninspirational managers of all time. Mumbled his way through a season with a half decent West Ham and presided over relegation. Why do clubs constantly look for the foreign option or the previously tried and failed option?

The local massage parlour will be happy with that appointment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Careful now.

I seem to remember Ranieri's appointment being greeted in a similar fashion on NSC.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Careful now.

I seem to remember Ranieri's appointment being greeted in a similar fashion on NSC.

Fair point, I thought Ranieri's appointment was a shocking one, but proved wrong so far. Although I think he took over a club on a real high after they how they finished last season and that has continued into this season, plus he's had the benefit of a striker on a freakishly good run of scoring. But credit where it's due to CR. I'm glad to be wrong as he's a very likeable and charismatic person. Charismatic is certainly not a word you'd associate with AG.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here