Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansea and Norwich "on alert" as Garcia set to quit Brighton

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It was at a fans' forum a few months ago he said that.

I don't remember them saying all of the spending has got to stop and we're now a selling club, but that appears to be what's happened.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Fairly much what I said to Thunderbolt. Final say in who they attempt to acquire and who they end up bringing in is different. If all your first choices fall through you can end up left with Hobson's Choice. Besides you didn't say attempt to acquire in your first post, you said "final say".

David Burke and his team of scouts have an ongoing set of dossiers on players here and overseas which are regularly updated. All sorts of information is on them - including their vital stats, player stats, strenghts, weakenesses, opportunities and threats, attitudes, likes, dislikes, personal habits, personal relationships, car, favourite food, sexual orientation - the works.

From there, a list is drawn up of not just who is available or affordable, but appropriate for the style of football and the lifestyle of the area. At the appropriate meeting, this is then presented to the team, including Paul Barber, Tony Bloom, finance directors and the management team, to ascertain who might be wanted by the club.

After all considerations regarding who the club should attempt to acquire, even if everyone in the room says 'yes' to Player X, if Oscar says 'no', that's it - his is the final say. Whether we get that player can be down to myriad of reasons - many of which might well be beyond the control of the club.

What did you think I meant?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
great first post
said it all along OG would love to play a system like Spain, problem is the players are not capable of that
players understand 4-4-2

I don't think the formation has been the problem at all. It's simple execution in front of goal with chances we have created already. We have created chances, and players have been in good positions to convert them and failed to do so. It doesn't matter what formation you play if you are going to blast chances wide from six yards out, miss penalties and screw up one-on-ones, all of which we have done recently and could have netted us another potential couple of points making the playoff picture completely different.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think Obika was probably at the top of Burke's most wanted list before Oscar was even appointed. We were after a season long loan knowing CMS and Hoskins would be out of action for most of the season. Obika picked up an injury which meant we didn't get him on loan until January and so we endured the disappointment of Lita being a failure too.

It was last August and Oscar arrived at the end of June.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
David Burke and his team of scouts have an ongoing set of dossiers on players here and overseas which are regularly updated. All sorts of information is on them - including their vital stats, player stats, strenghts, weakenesses, opportunities and threats, attitudes, likes, dislikes, personal habits, personal relationships, car, favourite food, sexual orientation - the works.

I heard the show and it was very interesting :thumbsup:

Clearly Kemy Agustien has only become an angry ego-centric tweeter carrying an extra couple of pounds after he joined us. Same for Andrews passing backwards and Obika's second touch being a tackle.

From there, a list is drawn up of not just who is available or affordable, but appropriate for the style of football and the lifestyle of the area. At the appropriate meeting, this is then presented to the team, including Paul Barber, Tony Bloom, finance directors and the management team, to ascertain who might be wanted by the club.

After all considerations regarding who the club should attempt to acquire, even if everyone in the room says 'yes' to Player X, if Oscar says 'no', that's it - his is the final say. Whether we get that player can be down to myriad of reasons - many of which might well be beyond the control of the club.

What did you think I meant?

I thought you meant final say as that's what you typed. He MUST have a pecking order out of those we pursue surely? He can't possibly like everyone on the database equally and so there will be players we end up with that he would be less happy with than the ones higher on the list but that he's still willing to take a punt on. This is all framed in a hypothetical theory I constructed around one headline in the Mail remember. I'm not accusing Burke or anyone else of not listening to Oscar - merely suggesting he might have preferred Grabban to Obika and, if he did, it might not have been the first time we didn't land his favourite.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I thought you meant final say as that's what you typed. He MUST have a pecking order out of those we pursue surely? He can't possibly like everyone on the database equally and so there will be players we end up with that he would be less happy with than the ones higher on the list but that he's still willing to take a punt on. This is all framed in a hypothetical theory I constructed around one headline in the Mail remember. I'm not accusing Burke or anyone else of not listening to Oscar - merely suggesting he might have preferred Grabban to Obika and, if he did, it might not have been the first time we didn't land his favourite.

The question is whether Oscar's favourite is from a list of players that DB has identified as signable. If it is, and we end up not signing them, then yes I am sure he may be hacked off. If Oscar's list is of players that he would like but have not been identified as signable then that is just life - they are out of our price range or whatever and he must get over it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The question is whether Oscar's favourite is from a list of players that DB has identified as signable. If it is, and we end up not signing them, then yes I am sure he may be hacked off. If Oscar's list is of players that he would like but have not been identified as signable then that is just life - they are out of our price range or whatever and he must get over it.

Good post. Would be interesting to know how it operates round the fringes too. We know that Messi and Suarez are out of our range. We're probably quite confident about landing DS targets. In between, who knows?

For my sins (when I'm not on here) I plan and budget software projects. The golden rule is that the budget cannot be exceeded. Therefore if someone wants to do something expensive and time consuming then a couple of less expensive, less time consuming things have to go by the wayside so that you deliver on time and on budget. The other golden rule is that the stakeholder never accepts this and wants you to do all three things in the original time and budget. How good a stakeholder is Oscar?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I don't think the formation has been the problem at all. It's simple execution in front of goal with chances we have created already. We have created chances, and players have been in good positions to convert them and failed to do so. It doesn't matter what formation you play if you are going to blast chances wide from six yards out, miss penalties and screw up one-on-ones, all of which we have done recently and could have netted us another potential couple of points making the playoff picture completely different.

if this is so then things really need a shake up
not as though I go along with the suggestion maybe a Summer with the players and a good pre-season will do the trick or maybe a new British manager will do the trick and you will note I say manager not coach.
whatever it is going to be the very,very annoying thing is we have lost points when those points would have already put us in an unassailable position with the play-offs to look forward to or dare I say in the top two and already there.
I keep asking myself the question .........do we really want to get into the premiership?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here