[Football] Sven Goran Eriksson

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Very sad, its incredibly brave to come out with this and say he's going to try to fight the inevitable for as long as he can.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
DIfficult to dislike Sven . Probably should of done better as England manager but did ok. Always had an eye for the birds which normalised him.

Wish him well

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
DIfficult to dislike Sven . Probably should of done better as England manager but did ok. Always had an eye for the birds which normalised him.

Wish him well
Sven was underrated as England manager, I think. We always qualified easily for tournaments and we came close ish a couple of times. People say we should have won something with those players, and on paper we should have done. But something was deeply wrong with that England setup at the time, and only Southgate (and Ashworth) have managed to turn it around. History should judge him as a decent manager in a dreadful setup.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I met him once when I lived in Sweden. He was from the same village as my ex girlfriend (Marcus Berg too!) and I had a 5 minute chat with him. The guy oozes football and was really nice to me despite my half drunken state and slurred Swedish.

Really sad news.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Sad news.

I was at that Portugal quarter final in 2006, that was probably his sliding doors moment as England manager, our team was good enough to win that tournament but it wasn’t to be.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sad news. Inoperable. No plan B. Which is sadly ironic, and ironically sad.

• Sad
Reactions: A1X

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Sven was underrated as England manager, I think. We always qualified easily for tournaments and we came close ish a couple of times. People say we should have won something with those players, and on paper we should have done. But something was deeply wrong with that England setup at the time, and only Southgate (and Ashworth) have managed to turn it around. History should judge him as a decent manager in a dreadful setup.
He got us to the quarter finals of every single tournament he was in charge for, didn't he? Certainly a lot better than McClaren, Capello, or Hodgson managed after him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He got us to the quarter finals of every single tournament he was in charge for, didn't he? Certainly a lot better than McClaren, Capello, or Hodgson managed after him.
And won 18 trophies as club manager.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed. They had all the club rivalry tribal bolleaux stuff. Beyond Sven's grasp. Southgate has completely eliminated that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here