Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sven Goran-Eriksson

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He would cost too much money, demand better players ( more money ) and then jump ship if offered an extra fiver somewhere else. No thanks.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I think Sven's dalliance with Notts County has made a lot of people wary of him.

Clearly only took that job (and the job in China) for the money.

But to call him clueless is ridiculous in the extreme. He got a very moderate England squad to the WC qtr finals ffs!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Your first 3 were all in 2000-2001, so lets say last 13 years then shall we. Man City with a billionnaire backing....not a great comparison for Brighton. Failures at Leicester and Notts County much more telling. Many would argue he failed with the quality he had for England too. So you seriously think he'll be good for us?
Bollocks. He was in charge of England for 3 major tournaments and qualified top of the group and got to the QFs in each. That's a far better record than his immediate predecessors and successors who had similar players at their disposal: Hoddle and Keegan before; McClaren and Cappello afterwards.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
I think Sven's dalliance with Notts County has made a lot of people wary of him.

Clearly only took that job (and the job in China) for the money.

But to call him clueless is ridiculous in the extreme. He got a very moderate England squad to the WC qtr finals ffs!

To be fair i changed my wording from 'clueless' to 'completely unsuitable for Brighton' later down the thread.

I do disagree that the England team were moderate. Many regarded them as our Golden generation! madness....this is all irrelevant anyway since Bloom will never sign him. Far too expensive and unproved at our level, wouldn't be a success without significant financial backing. Talk about Charlie and the Chocolate factory.....right through the ceiling

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Bollocks. He was in charge of England for 3 major tournaments and qualified top of the group and got to the QFs in each. That's a far better record than his immediate predecessors and successors who had similar players at their disposal: Hoddle and Keegan before; McClaren and Cappello afterwards.

2002 and 2004 England finished second in their group.

However I am all for the Sven Slalom rolling into town.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Also worth noting that Oddschecker show where the money is going, and just 2.42% of the bets on the market have been for Sven, compared to 54.9% on Sherwood, which suggests they are cutting the odds for a reason other than people splashing money on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Also worth noting that Oddschecker show where the money is going, and just 2.42% of the bets on the market have been for Sven, compared to 54.9% on Sherwood, which suggests they are cutting the odds for a reason other than people splashing money on.

Maybe, maybe not.

Oddschecker will only know who has clicked through from them directly.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

That's all the bets since May though, not since the book reopened on Saturday.

Screen Shot 2014-12-17 at 13.11.29.png

Last edited:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Would be a brilliant appointment.
Won loads.
Really supports upcoming younger players.
Tons of experience.
Worked at many different levels and all over the World.
Stroke of genius if this unlikely appointment were to happen.
But yes please.

I take the polar opposite view. He failed miserably in this division with far more money available than we would give him. If we are prepared to back a manager with money I would think Hughton would be a far better bet.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sven at Leicester 2011-12

2011-12: W5, D4, L4

Sami first 13: W5, D4, L4.

Then it got worse for Sami.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Permanent or Consultant?

I take the polar opposite view. He failed miserably in this division with far more money available than we would give him. If we are prepared to back a manager with money I would think Hughton would be a far better bet.

Chris Hughton plays the same system as Sami Hyypia, 4-2-3-1 and is just as flipping stubborn. That would mean a transition would be easy, but I can't see it would make all that much difference, so not worthwhile.

In fact, the Norwich underachievement and their failure to replace Hughton is an argument to persevere with Hyypia for three more matches at least. I don't want to see Nathan Jones in charge.

I prefer Sven to Hughton by a large margin.

the Chinese Super League starts in February or March (spring in China) and ends in November or December (early winter).

Last edited:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Sven at Leicester 2011-12

2011-12: W5, D4, L4

Sami first 13: W5, D4, L4.

Then it got worse for Sami.

First 13 league games: Lost five, drew six, won two. You could throw in cup wins against two League Two teams and Swindon.

Pretty sure Sven, Gazza or the ghost of Alan Ball would have won a league game in three-and-a-half months, but it's great to hear Hyypia is full of integrity and dignity.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There is definitely something in this. I suspect that we are going to get the Sven and Sami dream team.

The SCANDINAVIAN dream team, sitting on the bench showing absolutely no emotion whatsoever.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
"But football is a results industry and we couldn't get things right enough." Sven when leaving Leicester, tipping them for promotion after he left by mutual consent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here