Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
And they're off again.

Slurrey are 199-0 (effectively)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well, that was another good day for Sussex. I assume Surrey will try and bat Lancs out of the match so they look f***ed but Durham look set to win.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
My goodness the mighty Lankies are well on their way to their inevitable Championship whilst poor old Sussex can look on in wonder as bad light destroys their chances. :lol:

Feel sorry for Robin Martin Jenkins out for 99. He did look a tad upset. He played a beautiful innings as did Liddle for his 53. It does look an easy batting wicket and with Hick there it's going to be a tough ask for Sussex to get another 18 wickets with a weakened attack.

If we do win this one, and so do Durham but Lancs lose or draw, the championship is ours again?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Correct. Durham have already surrendered 2 batting points, which means they can only score 20 if they win. If we were to win, we score a minimum of 19 points (5 batting points and 14 for the win). Durham would need to score 3 more points than us, so a we are assured the title if we were to win and Lancashire were to lose, whatever happens in the Durham game.

Of course we won't!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This is fantastically tense, this could well go into the last day with three possible winners of the CC.

I expect Durham to win today, which will put pressure on us and Lancashire. We should bowl Worcs out and make them follow-on but I can't see us winning this match until tomorrow afternoon (if we do win it that is). Lancs need a great bowling effort this morning. If Surrey are still batting by tea-time, I think it's game over for Lancs.

Who ever said cricket is boring?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I'm still concerned about being able to bowl Worcs out twice with the depleted attack we've got. I got the horrible feeling it's gonna be a draw and the title will head to Durham (which is obviously better than it heading to Lancashire, but a pisser non the less).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm still concerned about being able to bowl Worcs out twice with the depleted attack we've got. I got the horrible feeling it's gonna be a draw and the title will head to Durham (which is obviously better than it heading to Lancashire, but a pisser non the less).

It's not that depleted though; we have or leading two wicket takers from the last few seasons playing as well as Tucker (who's chipped in with vital wickets throughout this season). We're missing Saqlain (who has played, I think, just three CC games for us) and Rana, who was missing most of last season when we actually won it. And this is only Worcs, not the strongest batting side in the world.

If we have two full days, I'm sure we'll bowl them out twice. I'm more concerned about the weather than Worcs.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It was rather grey over there, when my bus passed The County Ground.

This should give you some idea...

cam.jpg

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Should get a full day in I reckon. There's cloud about but it's not threatening and there's bits of blue over the sea.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Let's move the ground over the sea then.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I also have concerns about bowling Worcester out in 2 days --- call it irrational, but that would be a very frustrating way to lose the title.

I can't get down to the county ground today (work), but if you can, get down there and support the lads - they need as much as we can give them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can we win the title with a draw and reliant on bonus points gained or lost i.e Surrey reaching 250 for 1 and declaring then bowling out Lancs for under 200, and us gaining virtually maximum bonus bowling points

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If Lancs lose, they will gain four points. That means we would only need 10 points to equal their overall tally. However, we would also need Durham to lose or draw. If Durham were to tie/draw from here, they will have 13 points for a tie (unlikely) and 10 points for a draw. If we were to lose we would score a minimum of 5, maximum of 8, which means that Durham would take the title if we were only to take 1 bowling point.

Edit: I meant tie NOT draw.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Code:
          1     2   3     4 
Lancs    186    4   190   0
Sussex   180    5   185   3
Durham   177.5  6   183.5 0

1 = Pts tally prior to start of the final game
2 = Bonus pts guaranteed
3 = Score + bonus points