Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex v Hampshire Bob Willis Trophy

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just catching up with this WhingeFest. [emoji23]

Just because Albion “supporters” spend most of their time on NSC moaning it doesn’t mean the cricket threads populated by Sussex “supporters” can’t be a bit more positive (albeit with the hilarity of sometimes pretending we are being shit when we are not being shit...).

This season is obviously a very different one and it is equally obvious that SCCC are working on a massively reduced budget.

Nine Sussex Academy products in this XI. Currently still in the game with Hants after 14 wickets fell on first day. 50s for Phil Salt and George Garton (both players with ECB recognition) that I would have greatly enjoyed watching if allowed to be at the ground.

Good for you. Very generous towards club. Poor quality championship side now blamed on virus. However standard of side has gone down every year for a long time. Cant justify it by saying we are still in game because standard has gone down in nearly every county. ECB are just not interested in championship. When I watch Albion and Sussex cricket I want to see outstanding players plus always good to see a few youngsters come through. If I go back many years to my league playing days youngsters that dominated played 2nd team cricket and when did same there got in Sussex first team. Now youngsters getting in Sussex team that dont even look outstanding in club cricket

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
“It was better in my day” is a subjective view though. It’s fine to think that, but I disagree from my own perspective that the county game is weak.

Sadly the counties need to survive commercially to remain viable. T20 is the most lucrative source of income. I prefer red ball cricket and always have, but the white ball game is where the current crop of stars are. Why not enjoy watching those too? Last season Sussex had a bowling attack of Archer, Jordan, Mills, Rashid and Topley. That doesn’t include the leading T20 wicket taker for Sussex (Beer) or the domestic leading wicket taker since the completion started (Briggs). International sides would be happy with that attack.

When a side is 130-4 it’s always seen as poor batting. Does the bowling not deserve praise too? County bowling in England is incredibly strong right now as shown by the national side and the players who can’t make the final test squads, let alone 11! White ball cricket has been shoved to fit around red ball games, which is an issue. Can’t speak for all counties but Hove has been an excellent bowling track. It’s no surprise this game has seen 18 wickets (at the time of writing) in 4 sessions. I don’t think this is a direct reflection of poor county sides, more good bowling attacks, tricky conditions and an inconsistent run of red ball games. England’s greatest ever test run scorer has said himself how much harder batting has become in England, and he’s still playing!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
For those who didn’t hear the Gillespie interview on the radio earlier :

On Wells - not selected because ...“I don’t think he got the volume of runs he, or us, hoped he would do over past couple of years”. There is a Way back for him but not at the moment.
On Evans - happy for him to go on loan to Leics. another who has underperformed despite plenty of chances, according to JG. Happy with his short form form.
On Briggs - another casualty of Gillespie’s preference to give youth a chance this season after the team underperformed in long form.
On past couple of seasons (4 day) - } “the reality is we haven’t done as well as we should and we have to look at that”
On meaker : still getting fully up to speed, and may be better placed in a week or so. Crocombe selected ahead of him. JG impressed with meakers attitude.
Bopara - wont play long form this season , this was always the plan. Maybe next season.
Van Zyl - fishing in SA at the moment. Will be back next season, not this .
Overseas players - none coming this year
Carson - young spinner from Ireland who had impressed. Selected over Briggs
Garton - hopeful he will become an all rounder . Needs to play more games and develop. Highly rated .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
For those who didn’t hear the Gillespie interview on the radio earlier :

On Wells - not selected because ...“I don’t think he got the volume of runs he, or us, hoped he would do over past couple of years”.

That may be true but last year he got 527 runs at 24, Harry Finch got 161 runs at 12

I'm not sure why lack of form the previous year doesn't count against Finch

(and it you look at the career records, Wells is on 35, Finch is on 26)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That may be true but last year he got 527 runs at 24, Harry Finch got 161 runs at 12

EDIT: Watch Finch score a 50 now!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Finch is lucky to still be paid to play cricket , that’s for sure. Im guessing he did himself some favours in the Hants friendly.
One can make a case for Wells but Reading between the lines I think Gillespie wanted to make a statement In his team selection, following some disappointing Sussex long form seasons.
Overlooking Briggs and Evans wouldNt have done that. So Wells is the big name who misses out.
Imho it’s fair enough for JG to say last year’s team had plenty of chances and didn’t cut it, so it’s time to cut some losses.
These games don’t really matter, so let’s see what these new players have got.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Finch is lucky to still being paid to play cricket , that’s for sure. Im guessing he did himself some favours in the Hants friendly.
One can make a case for Wells but Reading between the lines I think Gillespie wanted to make a statement In his team selection, following some disappointing Sussex long form seasons.

I think it's fair enough to make a statement and it's fair enough to drop Wells to do so, what I don't understand is playing Finch who, unlike Wells, has never looked like a first class cricketer. Why not play another youngster in his place? Is Jenner still around? Or should Muyeye be thrown in at the deep end?

And none of this explains why Sussex is playing with Brown at 5 and Robinson at 8 - both at least a place too high. Although to be fair, I thought that of Garton and he's done well

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I think it's fair enough to make a statement and it's fair enough to drop Wells to do so, what I don't understand is playing Finch who, unlike Wells, has never looked like a first class cricketer. Why not play another youngster in his place? Is Jenner still around? Or should Muyeye be thrown in at the deep end?

And none of this explains why Sussex is playing with Brown at 5 and Robinson at 8 - both at least a place too high. Although to be fair, I thought that of Garton and he's done well

If the policy is no more last chances, then finch has indeed dodged a massive bullet .
age is on his side compared To the others, but Sadly he never delivers . This game, case in point .
Fair points about Robinson and brown, but not a biggee for me .
Full credit to salt - he’s become our go-to. Still young .

Btw - did you see Surrey are signing Overton .....I suppose they were down to their last 12 quicks

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If the policy is no more last chances, then finch has indeed dodged a massive bullet .age is on his side

He's 25, he's not a kid.

Yes, I saw that Surrey had Overton, there's no end to their signings - that's always been the case

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Salt gone

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
“It was better in my day” is a subjective view though. It’s fine to think that, but I disagree from my own perspective that the county game is weak.

Sadly the counties need to survive commercially to remain viable. T20 is the most lucrative source of income. I prefer red ball cricket and always have, but the white ball game is where the current crop of stars are. Why not enjoy watching those too? Last season Sussex had a bowling attack of Archer, Jordan, Mills, Rashid and Topley. That doesn’t include the leading T20 wicket taker for Sussex (Beer) or the domestic leading wicket taker since the completion started (Briggs). International sides would be happy with that attack.

When a side is 130-4 it’s always seen as poor batting. Does the bowling not deserve praise too? County bowling in England is incredibly strong right now as shown by the national side and the players who can’t make the final test squads, let alone 11! White ball cricket has been shoved to fit around red ball games, which is an issue. Can’t speak for all counties but Hove has been an excellent bowling track. It’s no surprise this game has seen 18 wickets (at the time of writing) in 4 sessions. I don’t think this is a direct reflection of poor county sides, more good bowling attacks, tricky conditions and an inconsistent run of red ball games. England’s greatest ever test run scorer has said himself how much harder batting has become in England, and he’s still playing!

Certainly not subjective but fact. Just look for example at Sussex team 5,10 and 15 years ago. No comparison to what we see now and last season. Not my cup of tea but agree 20/20 has been fantastic for finance and attracting a new audience. Also agree in this form you tend to see best players. Trouble is, it is taking over. Of course ECB is right less interest in County and that is all down to them. Only 6/7 games in June/July and August. Many players missing first 3/4 game because playing 20/20 abroad, No England players, Very few stars to watch, Large amounts spent on marketing 20/20 but nothing on county game Have just gone to Argus online for a report on todays play but no mention.
If our 20/20 and new Hundred competition was played in April and September crowds would be low.
In the meantime will of course continue to follow Sussex but just want to see the majority of players are far above good club standard. We must all hope Robinson stays fit. Talking of him how on earth did Toovey get selected ahead of him when all he has done is play a few games for Sussex last season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here