Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex uni union opposes falmer

reuters

Feb 15, 2007
Brighton
I just got back from Sussex uni UGM, its this NUS thing where they pass motions on what the union should be doing, they voted in favour of a motion to oppose the falmer stadium. They doing this based on environmental issues, the amount of carbon that will be created by the extra traffic, the fact that the uni is opening up 1800 car parking places for the fans on match days. They seem to think we will go on their campus because they have cheap beer.
They want us to look at other sites including water hall, they are going to try and get the uni to oppose the stadium as well, as they think they have been too neutral on the situation.
Finally they have this crazy idea that we want to use their fields to train they don't seem to understand that there is nowhere else to train!!
Bloody environmental hippies!! :angry: :censored: :angry:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
tedebear said:
eh? I thought the Uni were infavour?

I'm confused!!

This is the students who are, funnily enough, about three years too late to do anything about it.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
the uni are in favour but the Union have never been in favour basically because its a hippy uni. Not really anything to worry about as has never effected the process before hand

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
reuters said:
They doing this based on environmental issues, the amount of carbon that will be created by the extra traffic
Falmer offers the best facilities for sustainable transport. If they are only worried about their atmosphere, then that is prime NIMBYism.

the fact that the uni is opening up 1800 car parking places for the fans on match days.
Providing valuable revenue for the Univeristy that has had to close departments etc.

They seem to think we will go on their campus because they have cheap beer.
I think they will find that it will be impossible, for non-students, to use the University facilities

They want us to look at other sites including water hall, they are going to try and get the uni to oppose the stadium as well, as they think they have been too neutral on the situation.
Good luck to them.

Finally they have this crazy idea that we want to use their fields to train they don't seem to understand that there is nowhere else to train!!
I think it would be great having a professional team training on your facilities. I used to go and watch Oxford United train on Magdalen College's grounds.

Hardly, if they are advocating building the stadium on sites that are not classified as brownfield
Thankfully, it is not up to them and I don't think they will have much clout with the powers that be. Time to invade their forum again. :lol:

Last edited:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
The University themselves (the people who hold the lectures and pay for the library books and do research into bats and stuff) are in favour.

It's just a bunch of student eejits who are on a bit of a knee-jerk environmentalist bent.

We could try expressing our opinions -- politely -- on here

http://forum.ussu.info/

The University are in favour - they stand to get some brand spanking new buildings and some dosh!

This is the students - and since when did students know anything about anything?

Oh, except 1962 - 1965 when I was a student.

That's different :)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
To slightly paraphrase Sir Robin Day:

"Why should the good people of Sussex listen to you 'here today, gone tomorrow three-year drinking holiday student activist fuckwits' rather than, for example, Brighton and Hove council who actually have a stake in the future provision of facilities in our county?"

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Stereotyping our opponents as "inbreds" or "hippies" is pointlessly counterproductive, really. I had a long and very annoying chat with an urbane and otherwise intelligent Sussex student who could spout fluent Nimby drivel along with the best of any the gnarled olde rusticke village idiots that supposedly inhabit Falmer.

Except the LibDems LDC, of course. They really are all ****s.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
reuters said:

we already train there, so don't really understand that one. Kuipers always used to be in the gym (he still might for all I know). Thats why training has to be moved on a wednesday as the Uni teams use the pitches

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
The stupid thing is the students who are there currently will have left and be nowhere to be seen by the time Falmer is built.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
reuters said:
They doing this based on environmental issues, the amount of carbon that will be created by the extra traffic, the fact that the uni is opening up 1800 car parking places for the fans on match days.
Why do they think that this will be different at any other site? It would be worse!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here