Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Sportsmen

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Why does Sussex produce such a limited amount of sporting fellows?

Obviously we are not so densely populated as many other regions, but we seem to be a little shy on producing sports personalities.

Are we academics?
Is sport not considered to be paramount?
Do we lack facilities?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just 2.5% (1/40) of the uk pop'n, is one reason, but perhaps as affluent, haven't the hunger
eg the conurbations of Liverpool, Newcastle and Glasgow have each produced countless top sportsman, and they have pop'ns of just 650,000 to 1m.

Lack of facilities and coaching too.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Just 2.5% (1/40) of the uk pop'n, is one reason, but perhaps as affluent, haven't the hunger
eg the conurbations of Liverpool, Newcastle and Glasgow have each produced countless top sportsman, and they have pop'ns of just 650,000 to 1m.

Lack of facilities and coaching too.

Lack of facilities? yes and no,think the real reason you mentioned at the beginning-HUNGER

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Hastings has one player each in the cricket and football teams. Keep up. ;)

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It's all about facilities. Basically there are none in Sussex and not that many in the south as a whole.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

You want me to give you the reasons why they (councils,sports bodies,developers) don't build sports facilities in the South?
I shall be off to bed shortly and I don't want to stay up all night typing.
I'll give you one example. Brighton Borough Council as was. Hey, after many many years of fannying about, you will be familiar with this with the Amex as an example. We have and have had since the end of the War, second not first, a nice big site for our pool.
That's good there's room for a nice 10 lane 50 meter pool with seats, we can hold local, national and international swimming competitions. Add a diving pool that would be perfect.
What? Proper swimming, we don't want their sort round here being successful and getting medals and such. OK we can make it 48 meters long, that'l put a stop to all that sort of thing.
That's just one. :facepalm:

Marler and Twelvetrees in the England rugby team are Sussex born.

Billy Twelvetrees went to primary school in Wisborough Green and learnt his rugby at Pulborough in the mini section. He then went on to Horsham and Haywards Heath RFCs, also playing for the 1st XVI at the Weald Community School in Billingshurst as had his three older brothers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here