Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Slang and Dialect

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
Smart Mart said:
I was told by a colleague from west London that 'Chav' was very much a southern home counties phrase (ie, mainly Kent & Sussex) that you didnt hear much in other areas around London.

Proud of the contribution weve made to the nation's vocabulary !

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Chav and Pikey are suseex up in the north no one has even heard of chav and most people dont know what a pikey is thankfully i have one person from kent who understand my dilect

the rest think i am a londoner.

on thing i have notice that the south pronounce "TH" different in there words espscially in kent and sussex

Get out into rural East Sussex and you'll find lots of idiosyncratic ways of speaking.

Here's a simple test.

How do you pronounce 'Newhaven' ?

New'AVEn (emphasis on "ave") - you're a local.

NEWhaven (emphasis on "new") - you're not.

BEDDing'm or BeddingHAM - another key way to tell the difference. (It's BeddingHAM to the locals).

And I've known kids round here who say "broccoleye" for broccoli - as in Ardingly.

Last edited:

Oval Gull

Feb 5, 2004
The Northstander said:
Twitten ...Yep I agree

Jasper...haven't heard that in years, me mum used to call wasps Jaspers!!

:clap:

'Jasper' is also a Westcountry expression for wasps...but I think another Sussex word is Ghyll (meaning stream)

And how about another great Sussex expression:
'Bellotti' - meaning wanker.

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
Smart Mart said:
Brighton people also ask "have you sin it" instead of "seen it".

Dont think Ive heard this anywhere else?

This reminds me of the League of Gentlemen sketch with the two greasy teengers in the Royston Vasey video shop, checking the titles on display with the comment: "sin; sin; sin.."

Good to see the word twitten; used in Haywards Heath when I was a kid in the 70's. I happened to mention it to some friends a while back & discovered that each had a different & equally exotic name to describe a back-alley, depending on what part of the country they were from ('twitten' was unknown to them). Why the alley-way should be subject to such variety is anyones guess.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
SuperFurrySeagull said:
Good to see the word twitten; used in Haywards Heath when I was a kid in the 70's. I happened to mention it to some friends a while back & discovered that each had a different & equally exotic name to describe a back-alley, depending on what part of the country they were from ('twitten' was unknown to them). Why the alley-way should be subject to such variety is anyones guess.

I used to have to walk up a twitten in Haywards Heath on my way to school (St. Wilfreds 1980-81), it was always full of dead slugs which one of my classmates had jumped on.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
A great chant from Goldstone days...

Give me a B
Give me an E
Give me an L
Give me another L
Give me an O
Give me a T
Give me another T
Give me an I

What's that spell?

WAAANKERRRRRRR !

Give me a C
Give me an O
Give me an L
Give me another L
Give me an Y
Give me a E
Give me a R

What's that spell?

WAAANKERRRRRRR !

punk:

I think Twitten's are a sussex/ Brighton word for (steep) paths. When Brighton was built these rights of way were preserved and the twitten's remained.

LC

Mr Popkins

Jul 8, 2003
LIVING IN SIN
lincs seagull said:
Chav and Pikey are suseex up in the north no one has even heard of chav and most people dont know what a pikey is thankfully i have one person from kent who understand my dilect

not true

I was up in Glasgow at the weekend and altough they dont use it much "Chavs" are alive and kicking in abundance up there.

Oval Gull

Feb 5, 2004
Lord Bracknell said:
A great chant from Goldstone days...

Give me a B
Give me an E
Give me an L
Give me another L
Give me an O
Give me a T
Give me another T
Give me an I

What's that spell?

WAAANKERRRRRRR !

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
London Calling said:
And "you'll getting on my wick":angry:

LC

a classic one that my father has oftened used to demonstrate someone is pissing him off

can also be "you're getting right up my snitch" or "up my hooter"

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Mr Popkins said:
The Brightonian accent is a softer version of cockney ,its very distinct. I have often been mistaken for an aussie by the yanks.

I've had that too. I've even been asked if I'm German for some reason???

Doesn't happen so often now which I guess means that my accent (and my chances of pulling American birds) is fading :(

I think the aussie thing might be because of us using the word "mate", which I rarely do nowdays.

Last edited:

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Not a word but Stoolball is a game that is unique to Sussex!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Twiten (correct old spelling) is an old English word meaning a narrow thoroughfare. I think lanes are meant to be wider.

How do Sussex people pronounce Falmer = Fow-ma,

"Oi, matey, goin' to Fowma. Not if I have buy a bluddy ticket first, I aint."

Last edited:

patchamsmostwanted

Jul 15, 2004
Shanghai/Brighton
Definitely found on my travels that 'kiddie' as mentioned before is a term used uniquely by Brightonians.
How about 'ank' as in 'let's just do it for the ank'? Or what about going 'bolo' a shortening of going 'balistic'?
I've also been told that us Brightonians tend to say 'of an evening' and 'yeah,no' a lot but I thought that was a bit more wider spread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here