Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex release Gatting (and Miller)

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Gatting had SO much talent bottled up inside but rarely ever decided to show us some of it. Whenever he came out to bat you just knew he would get out for next to nothing all of this season, his form was just absolutely abysmal and his body language was all wrong, a walking wicket all year which was why Robbo had finally run out of patience.

I hope another county signs him up and is patient with him, rumours that Worcs are willing to give him a go which is good news. Remember he is only 25, Darren Stevens had a similar avergae at 25 and now look, he's one of the best players out side the England squad in the country.

Miller was no surprise, we gave him a year to see if he was any good and he wasn't, no point keeping him around when you could just have a home grown teenager such as Hobden playing his role, I hope he does find somewhere but sadly he hasn't got much going for him, lovely bloke but a crap cricketer.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
maybe I was slightly harsh but at the end of the day he failed to make the grade and was released from both. I certainly respect him for clearly being talented at more than one sport to the extent that he was able to briefly make a living from each, but I do suspect that if he'd concentrated at one at a younger age he'd still be plying his trade in the one he'd chosen (all hypothetical of course). But then it's not my career so I can't really judge.....he did once drop a catch from my bowling though when we played for our Primary School team...perhaps that is something that he never quite got over....?

Depends what you mean by failed though. Most of the Sussex team have been let go at various stages of their career, including Jordan who's in the England development squad. He could very well go and get a deal with another club. Michael Thornely's still playing pretty much every game for Liecestershire I think since being let go

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's a shame he has been released. At least he had had the pleasure of playing for Sussex's two biggest sports teams. That is something most of us have dreamt of and would give up a lot for the opportunity. I wish him luck for the future.

This.

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
I think playing first class cricket in Division one of yhe County Championship, and professional football in the football league makes home a bit more than 'mediocre'

Fully support this comment. How many sportsmen have had the talent to have played at that level in the last ten years for two sports?

Not you turienzo for sure. Nor me. Can you name anybody?

I personally wish him well with getting a new club. If that doesn't happen it is Nomads gain

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It's a shame he has been released. At least he had had the pleasure of playing for Sussex's two biggest sports teams. That is something most of us have dreamt of and would give up a lot for the opportunity. I wish him luck for the future.

Yes, the pressure of playing for his local teams AND the fact that his dad and uncle were such successful sportsmen must have been quite a burden on his shoulders. Hopefully he can get set up away from home and start delivering the sort of performances and promise he seemed to have been destined for. Good luck to the lad.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, the pressure of playing for his local teams AND the fact that his dad and uncle were such successful sportsmen must have been quite a burden on his shoulders. Hopefully he can get set up away from home and start delivering the sort of performances and promise he seemed to have been destined for. Good luck to the lad.
Couldn't agree more. As has already been said he played football for Brighton AND cricket for Sussex. In the modern era where you tend to have to make choices early that's quite an achievement; and as a fan of Brighton and Sussex I personally would have loved to have been that type of 'failure' as a young man.

Really hope he doesn't give up; as keaton points out people are always released and go on to blossom elsewhere - and there's been something wrong at Sussex this season which may have contributed to his poor form. And if at the end of it all he does end up as the new Liam Botham then at least he's still got something to tell his grandchildren.

Oct 25, 2003
Depends what you mean by failed though. Most of the Sussex team have been let go at various stages of their career, including Jordan who's in the England development squad. He could very well go and get a deal with another club. Michael Thornely's still playing pretty much every game for Liecestershire I think since being let go

yep great point

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I envy him, I am crap at sports and to be born in Brighton and say you have scored goals for the Albion and a century for Sussex CCC, two of my most loved things is amazing. It's always odd how some people knock their own.

Good luck Joe, I will miss losing another local lad from our teams and hope that another county takes you up and gives you more time in the middle to develop further. I've enjoyed watching you play for the two best teams.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Sad he has gone,but it was on the cards.
Hope he gets a chance at Worcestershire and flourishes.
Good luck Joe.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You have to be astonishingly good to succeed as a professional sportsperson (even those who appear crap to spectators are way above the average amateur player). He just isn't quite good enough

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
My thoughts LOL.

It's never going to happen. Imagine Gatting coming off the bench tomorrow afternoon/evening with us 2 nil down and banging in a hat-trick. The look on Billy Davies face shaking Garcia's hand at full-time. Wenger gets on the blower to Bloom on Sunday morning to discuss terms...

Roy of the Rovers stuff :whisky:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here