Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Sussex Police

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
West stand was forced to go clockwise once we left. Those of us using the P&R then had no choice but to go against the flow.

This. Although it shouldn’t have been ‘against the flow’ as everyone was meant to move clockwise. So East Stand fans were supposed to turn right and take the long way round to the station, in the same way fans in the West needed to to reach the buses.

The club put this information out there in advance in the pre-match briefing email and on the website, but it’s a stretch to think people will take much notice without very clear guidance on the night.

As Palace can’t be trusted not to disgrace themselves, it seems weird we all have to be inconvenienced rather than holding them inside for longer.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Was a total disaster in my experience. Turned right (as we always do in this game) out of the west stand as needed to get back in direction of coach park and we were stopped around the north east corner in a massive crush. Then the police came wading in and told everyone to go the other way, so we turned back in our original direction. We then had to walk single file past the scum who'd been kettled outside the away end. I felt sorry for some as there was quite a few elderly and kids put in a situation going past those away fans they really didn't want and need to be in. My guess would be they let the palace fans get too far out of the away end before kettling them, thereby not allowing the usual clockwise tactic to work, but who knows. Either way was a total shit show and amazed it didnt kick off more than it did.

What I found odd is that when we got back round the other side, by the coach park steps, I couldnt work out what was stopping the flow around the south east corner originally as there were no palace fans there etc. Strange

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Well, I don't know. What do you think? It would be an interesting anthropological experiment.

I agree. I think there would be less hassle. You’d get the ten or so people on each side who actually want to fight having a quick bout of fisticuffs and that would be it. Outside the Railway Bell at 6pm there must have been a mob of two or three hundred. All shouting and gesturing and throwing stuff at about 20 Palace walking up the road. Jostling the police and pretending to desperately try to break through the line, which had 6 foot gaps in it. Hold me back hold me back. All the while if anybody actually wanted to fight the Palace fans they could have calmly walked 20 yards to the left and into the station unobstructed by any police. I’m sad for the state of football hooliganism today, things were better in the past. These kids Grandparents’ who invented the art in the 70s would be ashamed of them.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
If they keep the palace fans in why can’t they just police the away end and just left people exit normally for 15min then it is pretty much clear anyway

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well, I don't know. What do you think? It would be an interesting anthropological experiment.

I'll tell you what would probably happen based on a happening last night.

Stood at the top of the steps for Mill Road P&R and along walk about half a dozen Palace screaming at people queuing that Lewis Dunk is a sex offender. Not one person responded which somewhat upset the Palace ****s. So then we all became "w@nkers". They then went off to their hovels in Croydon while we all got on a warm bus and home in time for hot chocolate and brandy.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We’re you there ?
Tbf I would expect unlawful towing of a caravan to be a more likely crime

You didn’t need to be there to know that police lied about it when they actually admitted that they made it up a few days later. Such a strange story to feel the need to come up with when they had cctv footage of actual law breaking with a load of fans breaking in through the fire exit.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Left the ground (west stand) straight after the whistle, big crowd heading for the station and Uni car parks. The police had blocked one of the 4 lanes on the bridge over the railway, when asked why the officer said it was all to a plan and that we should shut up and use one of the other 3 lanes. What a pointless exercise, 30k people leaving the ground, and they block off one of the routes away.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Following excellent advice on here, left WSH north entrance, went up the steps and walked up the ramp for the coach’s and was back on the coach in 5 minutes, even got a free program from an oversubscribed steward.

Took us 45 to leave the coach park but was expected

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Whatever else happened, what they did by the East Stand was shameful. I have never seen that behaviour towards away fans, let alone completely peaceful home fans. I genuinely thought there must be a fire, bomb threat or mass riot. It was like watching riot police - marching forwards, screeching at people to get back. There were kids and older people who looked terrified. Even a veteran of old school away games like myself was a bit perplexed. I went back to the catering van area, hung around for a few minutes, watched a few kids petting the police horses, wandered back round the East to see what was happening and found it clear and just had to walk past the goons screeching about sex offenders from behind a police horse so I could get to the coach. It seems like a massive overreaction to whatever it was that made them feel like they needed to act like Robocop.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’m sure Paul Barber will tell us (at length) in next weeks match programme what WE did wrong.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I’m sure Paul Barber will tell us (at length) in next weeks match programme what WE did wrong.

"We can't be accountable for the fans that FAILED to read the pre-match brief and completely disregarded our instructions"

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
Barbers response, standard bollocxs

Dear David

Thank you for your opinions.

Unfortunately, when it is necessary to segregate the movement of almost 30,000 leaving a football stadium at the same time, this will inevitably lead to some delays. Therefore it is necessary for everyone to remain calm and patient. The vast majority of people were exactly that last night. Thankfully, for every other visiting team external segregation is not necessary.

All movements of people before and after matches at the Amex are closely monitored and managed by very experienced police officers and stadium operations staff via CCTV in the stadium’s control room. They are in constant touch with staff on the ground who will always do their best to ensure that any delays are minimised so that fans can leave as safely and as quickly as possible.

Regards, Paul

Paul Barber​
Chief Executive and Deputy Chairman⁹

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Dear David

Unfortunately, when it is necessary to segregate the movement of almost 30,000 leaving a football stadium at the same time, this will inevitably lead to some delays. Therefore it is necessary for everyone to remain calm and patient. The vast majority of people were exactly that last night. Thankfully, for every other visiting team external segregation is not necessary.

All movements of people before and after matches at the Amex are closely monitored and managed by very experienced police officers and stadium operations staff via CCTV in the stadium’s control room. They are in constant touch with staff on the ground who will always do their best to ensure that any delays are minimised so that fans can leave as safely and as quickly as possible.

Regards, Paul

Paul Barber​

Sounds totally reasonable to me :shrug:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Dear David

Regards, Paul

Paul Barber​

Stock response which doesn't address the specific problems caused by the barriers outside the NE "corner" and lack of stewards/police/signage telling people to go clockwise.

Basically a few stewards with signs, outside the East stand, saying go clockwise and a police officer with a loud hailer directing people would have meant it didn't happen.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Firstly, we got away relatively easily from the WSU south end but we're lucky in that our seats are next to an exit. Came down the steps at the north end of WSU and got on the second train to Btn so didn't experience any problems.

The clockwise exit plan has been used before and even when we used the P&R at Mill Rd so have had to go against those exiting the ES we've never had any problems so the question is what was different last night for so many? Would suggest everyone that had problems email the club and they'll have to address it.

Personally, I agree with others that if you are holding in the away fans then let everyone else exit in either direction. When the bulk have gone then frogmarch the scum to the station. We have to wait outside Selhurst for nearly an hour for most games (although the last one there was no kettling) so why can't they do the same when they come here.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It really is simple. Keep the South stand closed for 20 mins, let everyone leave as per normal, then do a clockwise/anti-clockwise/tour of moulsecoomb/whatever they want to do thing :shrug:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It really is simple. Keep the South stand closed for 20 mins, let everyone leave as per normal, then do a clockwise/anti-clockwise/tour of moulsecoomb/whatever they want to do thing :shrug:

I think this is the sensible option. Keep them inside whilst we try and clear the coach park and p&r queues. Have their train ready for 30 minutes after the game. Keeping fans in under these circumstances is fairly standard. We've been kept in for much longer at their place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here