Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Sussex Police

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We all have the power of arrest.
https://www.claims.co.uk/knowledge-base/police/citizens-arrest#:~:text=The law states:,are committing an indictable offence.

It is so complicated though many forces do not want the PCSO's to exercise what is a right of all of us.
We do all have powers of arrest and other powers to protect ourselves and others.

I think the PCSO’s are encouraged not to exercise those powers if possible due to public perception.

They’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

For what it’s worth, I think they do a good job but the general public doesn’t really understand their role. Which the police have to take some blame for. Their role should be clearer.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
ITV sinking to another low, it's just bashing the police for the sake of it, I wonder if one day they will show some positive policing?
the high ranking officer locking himself in his car whilst p.c's and the public dealt with machete wielding scum at Borough market....?? that takes some beating.

coppers are on to a hiding these days , they are damned if they do and damned if they don't , as with most walks of life its the knob heads at the top who take all the credit and financial rewards whilst the plebs in the street have to deal with what Britain has become.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
We do all have powers of arrest and other powers to protect ourselves and others.

I think the PCSO’s are encouraged not to exercise those powers if possible due to public perception.

They’re damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

For what it’s worth, I think they do a good job but the general public doesn’t really understand their role. Which the police have to take some blame for. Their role should be clearer.
Well this one didn't do a good job!

The Police Commissioner said she was frustrated, there were 100 responses he could have made, and as a PCSO, his job is to communicate...

The result of him not doing his job is, at the very least, bad publicity for the police service which has been broadcast nationwide.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Glad he wasn't in there when I went to nick a load of stuff last week.
How can anyone defend the PCSO? He's a total coward, he should've been straight round to the CO OP immediately to deal with the situation. If you don't want to 'deal with things' then don't become a PCSO. Forget all of the 'not his job to do so' etc, even if he had driven round there it may well have defused the situation.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well this one didn't do a good job!

The Police Commissioner said she was frustrated, there were 100 responses he could have made, and as a PCSO, his job is to communicate...

The result of him not doing his job is, at the very least, bad publicity for the police service which has been broadcast nationwide.
As I said, his communication was poor. He should have said he was waiting for back up.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Glad he wasn't in there when I went to nick a load of stuff last week.
Did someone say he wasn't there ? perhaps he was having his day off perhaps he was off sick.
I'm not his Dad but i am the Dad of someone who works there so i am reasonably well informed ;) :dunky:

They did go in there frequently to nick and cause trouble but its allegedly a lot better since he's been there . I'm just saying what iv'e been told !!!!!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How can anyone defend the PCSO? He's a total coward, he should've been straight round to the CO OP immediately to deal with the situation. If you don't want to 'deal with things' then don't become a PCSO. Forget all of the 'not his job to do so' etc, even if he had driven round there it may well have defused the situation.
It may have done. It may have also resulted in a lone PCSO in a situation they have no authority to deal with.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
It may have done. It may have also resulted in a lone PCSO in a situation they have no authority to deal with.
Agree with that it could've done, but he had a duty to attend. To not to was cowardly. Don't become a PCSO if you don't want to deal with potentially dangerous situations.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I totally agree with this. one person should NOT be expected to deal with several unruly youths who are drunk (Allegedly). Even if he was a bona fide Police Officer which he wasn't. Yes drive around in the Police car and park outside whilst waiting for assistance.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Agree with that it could've done, but he had a duty to attend. To not to was cowardly. Don't become a PCSO if you don't want to deal with potentially dangerous situations.
PCSO’s don’t have a duty to attend dangerous situations. Especially when lone working.

As for him driving there and parking outside. Maybe. I would say they are likely instructed not to attend that situation alone in any capacity. But I’m not 100% certain about that .

Chances are if he did that, you’d have the public saying “why is he parked there doing nothing”

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
PCSO’s don’t have a duty to attend dangerous situations.
Maybe they don't but he should've attended. I'm sure a Police car with siren and blue lights may well have helped to end the incident. He's made himself look like a total coward, he's lucky that no serious injuries occurred during the incident as he would've rightly received even more criticism.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maybe they don't but he should've attended. I'm sure a Police car with siren and blue lights may well have helped to end the incident. He's made himself look like a total coward, he's lucky that no serious injuries occurred during the incident as he would've rightly received even more criticism.
He’s not authorised or trained to use blues and twos. But he should have driven by at least

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m pretty sure he would not be permitted to go in there on blues.
So as I say, you’d get the public asking why he was just sat there in his car.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
A fully fledged officer would have also waited for back-up.
While I fully understand your argument, the implication is that the PCSO was waiting for back-up, but failed to communicate this.

Do you know if this is the case? As a PCSO, he isn't required to attend those incidents anyway. So if he had said 'I'm waiting for back-up', it wouldn't have been true, would it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here