Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sussex Police admit there was no knife or knuckleduster confiscated at the Palace game

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I also have a nose for conspiracy at the best of times, but this just stinks of incompetance. My guess is that even the lie was a cock up rather than anything thought through.

The lie was kettled, and moved around Brighton nick for hours.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My guess is that even the lie was a cock up rather than anything thought through.

I really don't know what to make of the lie. A knife at a football match? Practically unheard of in this country, at least nowadays. It's just about the worst thing any policeman has accused football fans of having on them. You'd think that someone would have checked the veracity of the claim before going public.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I really don't know what to make of the lie. A knife at a football match? Practically unheard of in this country, at least nowadays. It's just about the worst thing any policeman has accused football fans of having on them. You'd think that someone would have checked the veracity of the claim before going public.

The police panicked, and this was a way to justify the heavy handed policing.( and I'm not excusing the HF for any shenanigans)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The lie was kettled, and moved around Brighton nick for hours.

No, that was for the bangs and whizzes and the forced entry. Claims of WMD may have been absurd, but your teenage wankers still deserved what they got.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Ch Insp Simon Nelson's tweet today passed the buck to the club (it's in this timeline) and the club referred the Fanzine back to the police. Just after that the police issued their statement apologising.
CI Simon Nelson has now tweeted he's going to be off Twitter for a while, whilst away on holiday.

https://twitter.com/albionroar/status/938826642990002176

[tweet]938826642990002176[/tweet]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yes. My only point was cock up not conspiracy. I am soft enough to think of our police as being vulnerable to lazy stupidity, rather than ludicrous and easily disproven absurd lies.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
No, that was for the bangs and whizzes and the forced entry. Claims of WMD may have been absurd, but your teenage wankers still deserved what they got.

But the tennage wankers got away Scot free . Due to the police cocking up big time the only people to suffer were innocent fans caught up in the aftermath. This is unacceptable and if the police cut our tickets for the cup game it will be scandalous.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012

No one is disputing that, but the fact the police LIED to justify their actions, and shouldn't be swept under the carpet .To actually say the weapons were being kept as evidence has far reaching consequences for ALL football fans.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Part of the Sussex Police statement:

The reference to weapons being found discarded at the stadium following the Brighton v Crystal Palace match on November 28 was based on information logged by our officers on the night and done so in good faith.

Subsequently, it has been established that no such items were physically recovered at the stadium or in the city.

What was done in good faith? Making reference to the information in the officer's logs, or multiple officers recording non-existent items and events in their official logs?

Either way, I believe the officers who created fictitious accounts of events in their official reports need to consider their position or face disciplinary action.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
But the tennage wankers got away Scot free . Due to the police cocking up big time the only people to suffer were innocent fans caught up in the aftermath. This is unacceptable and if the police cut our tickets for the cup game it will be scandalous.

And regardless the current statement - it’s still your fans that forced entry and stopped ticket holders get in. You’ll still quite rightly get a reduced capacity.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I hope someone (The FYP chaps, maybe) follow up on this....

"The reference to weapons being found discarded at the stadium following the Brighton v Crystal Palace match on November 28 was based on information logged by our officers on the night and done so in good faith."

...who logged it and how? Where did the information come from? Would another FOI request lead to more info coming out perhaps?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
As stated and just to give a very small bit of credibility to those Utras, even they have enough brain cells not bring a weapon to a football match these days.

I suspect possible conspiracy theories to cover up a not very well planned operation

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I hope someone (The FYP chaps, maybe) follow up on this....

"The reference to weapons being found discarded at the stadium following the Brighton v Crystal Palace match on November 28 was based on information logged by our officers on the night and done so in good faith."

...who logged it and how? Where did the information come from? Would another FOI request lead to more info coming out perhaps?

It seems the story in The Independent suggests Sussex Police told them to contact BHAFC, as their staff found the weapons in the stadium.
More lies ?

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
There's not any argument that the behaviour of a number of the Crystal Palace support was totally unacceptable. Evidence for that is in the public domain.

But why then the need to embilish that with tales of weapons?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I suspect possible conspiracy theories to cover up a not very well planned operation

It would be a staggering level of incompetence if the conspiracy to cover up a not very well planned operation turns out to be even less well planned than the original not very well planned operation that they are trying to cover up.

:shootself

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It seems the story in The Independent suggests Sussex Police told them to contact BHAFC, as their staff found the weapons in the stadium.
More lies ?

The Indy say that tweet has been deleted. It hasn't.

[tweet]938733093480992768[/tweet]

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don’t recall any other games where opposing fans broke in, bullied their own fans from their seats, injured stewards (I believe one was your own) and injured their own fans when throwing fireworks.

Don’t get me wrong, this police story is troubling - particularly as it may serve to increase tensions at the Cup game - some of your lot won’t be able to resist using it to get at police officers.

However it doesn’t change the fact that some people associated with your club acted appallingly that night.

Palace fans shouting “But police!” doesn’t change that.

and still we wait for Parish to condone his favourite supporters....will he ***k
....somethings don't seem to change

It's people throwing themselves in the air from three rows back, to land on somebody is not permitted behaviour in a football stadium," Parish told The Eagles Element. "It's quite clear what we have to do and people need to understand that we have higher masters -- we have a safety council that can shut our stadium if we're not in control of it.

"Our first obligation is towards the safety of people. We've got to make people safe and one kid has got hurt, you've seen it; there's a guy that was pretty badly hurt and it could have been a lot worse. People on the periphery could have easily been caught up in it, a flying boot and lose sight in an eye."

But it's not the first time the group have tested the club's patience; I've witnessed the group ignore the club's requests not to let off flares at games, and several ticket holders have informed me of witnessing the group causing damage to seats.

The club have been accommodating in the past, organising block ticket allocations for the group at big away games. Fans also stand throughout matches, something they are not able to do in other parts of Selhurst Park.

And it seems they are testing the patience of fellow fans, too. Chants of "little boys" and "can you shut up every week" could be heard from the rest of the Holmesdale Road Stand against QPR, When Saturday Comes reported.

The group are also upset at increased security measured in the area they sit in, brought on reportedly after an incident against Newcastle United where a coin was thrown onto the pitch and hit Magpies captain Fabricio Coloccini. That coin, say the group, wasn't thrown from their block.

They might be right to feel like their liberties are being infringed upon. No one likes being filmed at football matches, something police seem to do to any group of away fans these days, but when supporters are being hurt, missiles are being thrown from the stands and private property is being damaged, what choice does the club have? Safety must come first.

By and large, the Holmesdale Fanatics' offences are more silly than they are criminal. It seems like the ultras like to poke the hornet's nest a few times, usually when things are going well on the pitch and everything seems grand. It just makes you sigh and wish everyone would just grow up, have a pint and get on with things.

The thing is, the rest of the ground was markedly quieter on Saturday without the Holmesdale Fanatics doing their thing, which does suggest that when they have an off day so do the rest of the Palace fans. A bit like Mile Jedinak in the Eagles side.

No Palace fans want to see the Fanatics stop what they do, or disbanded, they just want to see them get on with the good things. Then all Eagles fans can go to games and concentrate on the one common goal which unites them all -- Crystal Palace FC -- instead of creating factions among the support. Because that is all that matters, and on Saturday against Stoke, the club will hope the red and blue army will be back to their noisy best.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Why don't you and your other sodding troll gimps, feck off to your own forum. :tosser:

If you actually read my posts, I'm not digging out YOUR club,I'm digging out the police !
:tosser:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here