Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Day June 16th

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Intresting to see that according to the Argus sometime ago tomorrow will officaly be Sussex Day. With West Sussex County Council among others approving it. Be intresting to see what it will be like. I know Yorkshire have their own day. So trying to copy Yorkshire I see though heard that you see more of the Yorkshire Rose on Yorkshire Day that is really it, is there anything else the Yolks do on that day? Wonder what we could do for Sussex Day?

I hope we have cheap or free beers in all Sussex pubs if you wear a Sussex team shirt (eg Sussex CCC, Brighton and Hove Albion, Crawley Town and East Grinstead HC etc). Or even anything connected with the Martlets would be cool to wear.

Nothing in the Argus the last few days on it, has it been scrapped I wonder?

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
It's definitely on. Our band (guitars, sax and drums) have been asked by Seaford Town Council to play Sussex by the Sea down by Seaford beach on Saturday afternoon. The Seaford Gazette has forecast that it will be "a lusty performance" though they haven't actually spoken to any of us so I don't know how they would know. Actually I was all for using my Rat effect and turning the amp up to infinity, but the other guys voted for a much more low-key jazzy performance so guess I'll have to go with the majority this time.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
From West Sussex County Council website:

A Day To Show You're Proud Of Sussex

June 16 is a day that West Sussex County Council Leader Henry Smith says he hopes everyone who is proud of the county will put in their diaries year after year.

Mr Smith was speaking about the enormous interest being shown in the County Council's recent decision to support the idea of declaring June 16 as Sussex Day.

The date has been chosen because it is also St Richard's Day - to mark the life of St Richard who was Bishop of Chichester from 1245 until his death in 1253.

Mr Smith, who this week visited the imposing statue of the Saint outside the Cathedral, said: "I feel that June 16 is very suitable for having a Sussex Day because it is also an important day in the calendar for the diocese of the whole county of Sussex.

"The thinking behind Sussex Day is to encourage people and organisations across the county to consider holding events on June 16 to celebrate our rich heritage and to give a sense of pride in where we live."

Mr Smith's challenge has already been taken up a member of his Cabinet.

Mark Dunn, who looks after the Children and Young People's Services portfolio, has pledged a personal prize of £500 for a competition in West Sussex schools linked to Sussex Day. Ideas for this are still being developed.

Mr Smith said: "I would very much like Sussex Day to be a community led effort, with the County Council encouraging and promoting events that people want to hold to show they care about a very special county.

"I also hope it will develop a strong sense of community cohesion between old and new communities alike."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here