Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex coast windfarm a step closer

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Someone told me today this is starting to happen - thought there would be a bit more news about it - anyone know what stage its at?

They are very proud of their off-shore windfarm in Blyth, Northumberland.

http://www.360flowers.net/360flowers_pages/blythquay.html

blythquay1.jpg

The Port of Blyth wind turbines provide a landmark visible from as far away as South Shields.
They provide a fitting backdrop to the modern abstract sculpture of a steam engine made of panels held by tentacles rising from the quay.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Personally, I think solar panels on all new houses is a better idea. That way people get the benefit of producing their own electricity for free and there doesn't have to be a massive windfarm.

If this windfarm goes to Newhaven, will it effect the boats that go in and out of Newhaven harbour?

I don't have a problem with a windfarm off of our stretch of coast as long as it is run efficiently.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Personally, I think solar panels on all new houses is a better idea. That way people get the benefit of producing their own electricity for free and there doesn't have to be a massive windfarm.

If this windfarm goes to Newhaven, will it effect the boats that go in and out of Newhaven harbour?

I don't have a problem with a windfarm off of our stretch of coast as long as it is run efficiently.

Let us know where you get free solar panels from????

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Its being named after our county flower (sussex) - anyone know what that is (without looking it up!) I didn't know - why don't they teach stuff like this in schools?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
This is a massive con at our expense - and also the expense of our seaside aesthetics and the oceanic wildlife. The cost of maintaining these things really does not make it a worthwhile or long term investment.

If we really had a future thinking government, they would be focusing their efforts on nuclear fusion - which is obviously the fuel of the future.
This.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This is a massive con at our expense - and also the expense of our seaside aesthetics and the oceanic wildlife. The cost of maintaining these things really does not make it a worthwhile or long term investment.

If we really had a future thinking government, they would be focusing their efforts on nuclear fusion - which is obviously the fuel of the future.

What do we do with the waste that is generated by nuclear power stations?

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Let us know where you get free solar panels from????
I didn't say they were free. But if they were compulsory on all new builds, the people who buy the houses will soon be in profit from a free energy source. There is a lot of wasted roof space and I think it should be used.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
One could suggest the 'other' PR has got to you, there are plenty who will confidently argue the benefits, suitability and success of wind power generation. I guess this is a no score draw.
So one lot of PR is right, the other is wrong. Isn't it quite easy to find the truth:

Offer energy companies use of the sea for free. They can build the wind turbines, and maintain them, and sell all the energy they produce for whatever they like (ie, at market rate). Done.

Presumably they won't do it, because it's not viable.

Stumpy Tim

So one lot of PR is right, the other is wrong. Isn't it quite easy to find the truth:

Offer energy companies use of the sea for free. They can build the wind turbines, and maintain them, and sell all the energy they produce for whatever they like (ie, at market rate). Done.

Presumably they won't do it, because it's not viable.

The royal family own the seabed in British waters. Unsurprising that Prince Charles is in favour - there was one proposed wind farm off the Scotland coast he was campaigning for... Turns out he was due to make millions from it. God bless 'em

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Don't confuse nuclear fusion with nuclear fission. Fusion waste is largely harmless (not completely, but largely)

It is but however exciting the results from recent R&D sound, realistically we are still decades away from economically/commercially viable fusion.

It doesn't need to be wind farms or no wind farms, solar energy or no solar energy. Being realistic, the best way forward would be to continue to develop the clean sources of energy and manage the withdrawl from "dirty" fossil fuels. A combination of unsustainable coal, oil, gas, nuclear fission with renewable wind, tide, wave, geo thermal, hydro, solar and eventually nuclear fusion is surely the way to go.

I'm sure that if the same amount of money that was spent on developing nuclear power had been used to develop solar energy then we'd have solar fuel cells efficient enough to function at night!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Its being named after our county flower (sussex) - anyone know what that is (without looking it up!) I didn't know - why don't they teach stuff like this in schools?

Yes, a county flower none of us would recognise plus our county cricket team are named after a legless bird, and no, not Lauren from Eastenders, a legless bird that does not exist.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The royal family own the seabed in British waters.
But they don't own the oil underneath it? Bizarre. I imagine they owned the lot until oil was dicovered, and the government pointed out the royal family couldn't have it.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
A wind farm off the coast of Sussex has moved a step closer – but with major question marks against its impact on the environment.

E.On wants to install up to 175 turbines 13km south of Brighton beach as part of its Rampion project.

Bosses believe the offshore site between Worthing and Newhaven will create enough power for about 450,000 homes.

But, as a major step was taken forward in the application, the proposal reveals concerns around the impact on marine life, such as seahorses and herrings.

It comes as the Planning Inspectorate registered the application for the site.

Chris Tomlinson, E.ON development manager for the project, told The Argus yesterday (March 26) he expected a further 12 months of consultation with a final decision expected in May 2014.

He added there had been no decision on the number of turbines which would be at the site.

More details on the plans will be unveiled at an application launch event in The Dome foyer in Church Street, Brighton, on April 9.

Once this is held, members of the public will be allowed to register with the Planning Inspectorate as an interested party in the application.

According to the application, the project would make a “significant contribution” towards the achievement of the Government’s renewable energy target.

It said the rotor diameter of the turbines would be between 112m to 172m.

1900494.jpg

Sussex coast windfarm a step closer From The Argus)

Current wind farms are put out of production for a large percentage of every day,this is because the current network cannot store the electricity they produce as well as the electricity produced by our nuclear power stations.What is the point of building more wind farms if the wankers in charge of this country refuse to stop using nuclear power

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here