Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Countdown to follow on target - 8

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
I've often thought that if we combined countie then the standard would be so much higher. Too many average county cricketers in my opinion (Hoppo excepted obviously). But it would never be popular. If you look at the Aussie Sheffield Shield or Pura Cup or whatever it is called now, they have quality all round in every team. Usually 3-4 current test players, 2-3 up and coming youngsters and 2-3 fringe test players. Means that when they play test cricket the jump in standard is not as high as it is for county cricket. Also if there are less contracts available to players, then they will work harder to get better.

My suggestion would be:

Kent
Sussex
Hampshire

Renamed Sussex

Surrey
Middlesex
Essex

Gloucestershire
Somerset
Glamorgan

Durham
Yorkshire
Lancashire (that would be popular!)

Notts
Derbyshire
Leics

Warwickshire
Northants
Worcs

There would be some good quality sides in there. Warne can be 12th man and bring out the drinks to Mushy to seek advice as he learns how to be a top class leggie.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Bugger.
Follow on avoided.

Sussex are shite.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Leesy's off to grab a baguette, but he's not impressed by the selection today...

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
And Leesy's having a baguette. He didn't like what was put on for the commentary team, although he may be tempted by the Macaroni Cheese.

I love it when they leave the mic on.

edit: oh...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
And Leesy's having a baguette. He didn't like what was put on for the commentary team, although he may be tempted by the Macaroni Cheese.

I love it when they leave the mic on....
:D yes, it's brilliant isn't it... someone else said the other day about being able to hear the tannoy announcements and the sound of people playing on the outfield (and even the occasionall seagull - or did I make that bit up?) - so evocative of happy days at the county ground... (and making me want to go there tomorrow all the more... I have my 11 month old son to look after but I think it's about time he was introduced to the Cromwell Road End...)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
So what's the plan here?

Assuming we can get the last wicket fairly soon (damn that man Jones, damn him to hell) can we still win this game?

Lead of perhaps 150....thrash another quick 200 and declare mid-morning and try to bowl them out knowing that 350 is too much for them to chase?

Looks like a draw though. So two weak sides played and (probably) two draws. Tough games to come......we're going to have to retain this title the hard way.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
There'll be no routing here! We are just leading them into a false sense of security and the POW!!!! Give them one 'ell of a beating, with an "Ooo" and when they're not looking a quick "Arrrr" :lol:
have you SEEN their team line-up....?

Horton
Sutcliffe
Loye
Hodge
Law
Flintoff
Sutton
Chapple
Marshall
Mahmood
Anderson

how do you expect to even make a game of it against those champion players?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
So what's the plan here?

Assuming we can get the last wicket fairly soon (damn that man Jones, damn him to hell) can we still win this game?

Lead of perhaps 150....thrash another quick 200 and declare mid-morning and try to bowl them out knowing that 350 is too much for them to chase?

Looks like a draw though. So two weak sides played and (probably) two draws. Tough games to come......we're going to have to retain this title the hard way.
blimey... that's a fairly gloomy picture - we're in a stronger position than that, aren't we...? although I fear you may be near the truth - Adams certainly won't declare any earlier than at least an hour beyond the last possible minute for most people... if we could get 2 or 3 wickets before lunch tomorrow then we'd be a reasonable shout to force a win? anyone know / have a view on the pitch? will it be a proper last day pitch (variable bounce and plenty of turn for Mushy)? or do the dampish conditions mean it will be easier to bat on than normal?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Horton - is a who
Sutcliffe - long dead
Loye - past it
Hodge - old footballer
Law - long arms, past it
Flintoff - busted flush
Sutton - long dead