A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Good article in today's Telegraph on Sussex

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Great researched article on the demise of SCCC. Really sad state of affairs at the moment but hopefully the county can rise again....has to be without Rob Andrew imho! Must be a toxic environment if ex-players are having to sign NDA's on they're exit from the club.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Great researched article on the demise of SCCC. Really sad state of affairs at the moment but hopefully the county can rise again....has to be without Rob Andrew imho! Must be a toxic environment if ex-players are having to sign NDA's on they're exit from the club.
It is a good article but would have been even better with quotes from the likes of Wells, Brown, Prior and others

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Main problem that we can't keep our better players.

I didn't know that Carson was over friendly with Miss Salisbury.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Carson played for the Lions today in their game against the test side. Got Root out.

Tom Haines got 84 and Jofra Archer returned to bowling.

With Ollie Robinson that makes FOUR Sussex players in this currently happening England v England Lions match. Not bad for a supposed complete shambles of a club on a one-way street to oblivion.

On a related note it is remarkable how many top quality coaching and support staff have been developed by Sussex and then selected for England Cricket roles in recent years.

I'll probably miss someone but it started with Peter Moores, Barney Douglas (Media/PR), and Richard Halsall (Fielding) from Phase 1 of the glory days.
They were followed by Mark Robinson, Carl Hopkinson and David Young (Psychologist) from Phase 2.
Then more recently we have seen Jon Lewis, Mike Yardy and Luke Wright all being recruited by ECB.

I suppose this outstanding success in people development could be held up as something negative about Sussex if you have an axe to grind.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

With Ollie Robinson that makes FOUR Sussex players in this currently happening England v England Lions match. Not bad for a supposed complete shambles of a club on a one-way street to oblivion.

On a related note it is remarkable how many top quality coaching and support staff have been developed by Sussex and then selected for England Cricket roles in recent years.

I'll probably miss someone but it started with Peter Moores, Barney Douglas (Media/PR), and Richard Halsall (Fielding) from Phase 1 of the glory days.
They were followed by Mark Robinson, Carl Hopkinson and David Young (Psychologist) from Phase 2.
Then more recently we have seen Jon Lewis, Mike Yardy and Luke Wright all being recruited by ECB.

I suppose this outstanding success in people development could be held up as something negative about Sussex if you have an axe to grind.
Its one of the main aims of the club (rightly or wrongly, depending on your view), to get players into the England setup. Bertie Foreman & Dan Ibrahim both got selected for the U19s this past season as well, so have their foot in the door for the future.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Its one of the main aims of the club (rightly or wrongly, depending on your view), to get players into the England setup. Bertie Foreman & Dan Ibrahim both got selected for the U19s this past season as well, so have their foot in the door for the future.
Fair enough, but it also has a duty to its members to put out a competitive team each week capable of winning. 3 CC wins in 3 years isn’t good enough.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Good post this. Garton also in and around contention until his long covid issues which started on England duty. He’s been out for a long time which has been a huge miss and will likely leave for a big club when he gets fit. Let’s not forget we got Topley fit and firing again he and left immediately. The sniping from the sidelines probably has some merit but I’m glad the article posted above points to the county’s successes, as well as their inability to actually win a match.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Good post this. Garton also in and around contention until his long covid issues which started on England duty. He’s been out for a long time which has been a huge miss and will likely leave for a big club when he gets fit. Let’s not forget we got Topley fit and firing again he and left immediately. The sniping from the sidelines probably has some merit but I’m glad the article posted above points to the county’s successes, as well as their inability to actually win a match.
Sniping from the sidelines (members stand) or just wanting to see Sussex be competitive?

How would you feel if the Albion developed players and as soon as they were fit/good enough they left for a Top 6 club FOR NOTHING? Or they left the club they had served well to go to another club FOR LESS MONEY? (Caps - not shouting just emphasising the key points).

Reactions: A1X

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton

Spot on 🙌🏻🙌🏻

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sniping from the sidelines (members stand) or just wanting to see Sussex be competitive?

How would you feel if the Albion developed players and as soon as they were fit/good enough they left for a Top 6 club FOR NOTHING? Or they left the club they had served well to go to another club FOR LESS MONEY? (Caps - not shouting just emphasising the key points).
Exactly this. I’m under no illusion that Sussex can financially compete with the likes of Surrey and Warwickshire, any more than I am convinced Albion can compete financially with Liverpool or Chelsea. But taking a pay cut to not even move that much further up “the ladder”? That screams that something isn’t right.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick

Yes, this. If I was a big cricket fan (rather than just having a life member stepfather whose ashes are buried in the outfield) I'd have been calling for supporter action years ago. But cricket's different, and I'd probably have been arrested :)

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Good luck to the Sussex Academy today as they kick off their three week tour of South Africa.
They've been acclimatizing since arriving Saturday - and have a very full training / game schedule in Pretoria, Stellenbosch, and Cape Town.
Should be a great experience for the lads, along with Kent Academy who they've joined up with for the tour.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Good news for the youngsters at Sussex, although Im sure it helps having last seasons Academy HC in charge of the Lions now!

Well deserved though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here