Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC- 2022 Season Edition

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hampshire getting beaten to relegate Yorkshire.

Poetry.

Jul 7, 2003
I see Joss Butler is following the official ECB line on the proposed changes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/63080117

There is a wonderful irony if you pick out two sentences from this story:

Jos Buttler says a proposed reduction in County Championship and T20 Blast matches could raise standards and benefit England.

Buttler made 57 Test appearances for England between 2014 and 2022, but he has not played a first-class match for Lancashire since 2018.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Kirtley confirms the aim to sign an overseas pace bowler for next season:

"(For next season) we know we've got three or four young bowlers that have ability and skill, but much of the time they've had to play together and that isn't by design. Hopefully we can sign an overseas pace bowler, Ollie Robinson can play a couple of games leading up to the Tests, Steven Finn with his experience, then you provide the right environment for them to grow and learn."

The batting, if they don't all move to Surrey in the winter, looks rosy.

the 554 runs racked up in that second innings, includes 523 scored by players aged 23 or younger!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

the 554 runs racked up in that second innings, includes 523 scored by players aged 23 or younger!

I'd bring in Darren Stevens for a season. Seriously. Be good for the youngsters.

He did say he had a couple of approaches from elsewhere. I wonder if Sussex have looked at it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'd bring in Darren Stevens for a season. Seriously. Be good for the youngsters.

He did say he had a couple of approaches from elsewhere. I wonder if Sussex have looked at it.

I said that a couple of weeks ago. Sussex would be perfect for him - he wouldn't have to move and he'd be great fit for a year while the youngsters develop

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

If we're bringing an overseas bowler, could we get Kyle Jamieson - he'd be unplayable on April greentops

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If we're bringing an overseas bowler, could we get Kyle Jamieson - he'd be unplayable on April greentops

Current 13th and 14th all time best test average bowlers with Archer first change?

Might win a couple of games.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Is Finn still sufficiently fit to get through a few Championship games. His knees seem shot.

It might help the bowlers if the Hove pitch isn't such a road. I could have scored a hundred against the Glamorgan attack

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
"I'd bring in Darren Stevens for a season. Seriously. Be good for the youngsters."
"If we're bringing an overseas bowler, could we get Kyle Jamieson - he'd be unplayable on April greentops"

Just putting it out there...I know nothing! :thumbsup: :whistle:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Talk of Karvelas as an overseas player next season .
That would be pretty underwhelming.
We’d need a lot better to mount a proper challenge.
Obviously Finn isn’t going to take many wickets.
I’d sooner have Currie plus a quality overseas.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Talk of Karvelas as an overseas player next season .
That would be pretty underwhelming.
We’d need a lot better to mount a proper challenge.
Obviously Finn isn’t going to take many wickets.
I’d sooner have Currie plus a quality overseas.

Is he overseas? Has he been here long enough to qualify as English, as Goodwin and Magoffin did? I don't know the answer but I agree that I'd pretty underwhelmed if he were our overseas player.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

That would be an awesome signing. Not cheap, mind. But Pujara came, so.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Is he overseas? Has he been here long enough to qualify as English, as Goodwin and Magoffin did? I don't know the answer but I agree that I'd pretty underwhelmed if he were our overseas player.

I’ve heard he’s an overseas, he is not an overseas and he is an overseas now but will qualify as domestic by next season.
Nothing from the club although that may be with good reason - if other counties were aware he is non-overseas they may start sniffing around if they’re not already. As a non-overseas he’d be an upgrade on Finn, hunt, Crocombe, Atkins, Currie.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
I’ve heard he’s an overseas, he is not an overseas and he is an overseas now but will qualify as domestic by next season.
Nothing from the club although that may be with good reason - if other counties were aware he is non-overseas they may start sniffing around if they’re not already. As a non-overseas he’d be an upgrade on Finn, hunt, Crocombe, Atkins, Currie.

He's been playing for Greece in ICC events, so my guess is that he would be classed as an overseas player.

He's done quite well, but not really proved himself in the county championship yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here