Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex by the Sea: Which version of the words do you want to see on the big screens?

Sussex by the Sea: Which version of the words do you want to see on the big screens?

• A

Votes: 37 29.4%
  • B

Votes: 77 61.1%
  • C

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • D

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Tuesday night I recorded the singing in East Upper to hear what was sung. Clearly it's 'going up to win the cup'.
Anything other than D wont work. Anyway, us oldies cant read the screen from a distance.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I agree with the sentiment, but it wouldn't be an insult to modernise it for the sake of the football and modern generations - afterall, we've done it with the chorus.

"Hark to the merry bugles" is particularly dated, it's Edwardian language that people will not be able to relate to, or even understand. I don't think it would be a disservice to GOSBTS to modernise it so that all fans young and old can relate to it, learn the words and will sing it for years to come.

the "let your hearts be gay" should be modernised for similar reasons, the word is almost exclusively used to describe homosexuality in the 21st century - I am confident that younger fans would not feel passionate about singing this.
And while you're about it, that old Qu'ran book has a lot of embarrassing old tosh in it that modern kids might not understand. How about you focus on updating that?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
On a less serious note, as it is our anthem (County and Club), shouldn't the players line up, chests stuck out and hands (or clenched fists) on heart as we belt it out. Can just imagine the tears streaming down Calde's noble, bewhiskered face.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
For the home Pre Match Anthem it simply has to be Stand or Fall - preferably the simpler B version.

Let's have pride and emotion. Let the players Stand or Fall for the cause.

The 'going up to win the cup' is best left to informal crowd singing during the match.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I agree with the sentiment, but it wouldn't be an insult to modernise it for the sake of the football and modern generations - afterall, we've done it with the chorus.

"Hark to the merry bugles" is particularly dated, it's Edwardian language that people will not be able to relate to, or even understand. I don't think it would be a disservice to GOSBTS to modernise it so that all fans young and old can relate to it, learn the words and will sing it for years to come.

the "let your hearts be gay" should be modernised for similar reasons, the word is almost exclusively used to describe homosexuality in the 21st century - I am confident that younger fans would not feel passionate about singing this.

Yeah, let's have 'Yo! to the happening iTunes' instead :lolol:

Not.

:rock:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I voted for B but would make one small change that somehow seems to have been dropped from recent matches...

Now is the time for marching,
Now let your hearts be gay,
Hark to the merry bugles
Sounding along our way.
So let your voices ring, my boys,
And take the time from me,
<<<START TO FADE OUT MUSIC>>>
And I’ll sing you a song as we march along,
Of Sussex by the Sea!

Oh Sussex, Sussex by the Sea!
Good old Sussex by the Sea!
You may tell them all we stand or fall,
For Sussex by the Sea.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I know I'm going to get slated, but I'd prefer lyrics that are relevant to this Century rather than to 1907 when kids weren't sent to school but got sent to glass making factories and women didn't have the vote!

The old lyrics are completely irrelevant to most fans (including female fans) and players and it would be great to modernise the lyrics to something that's relevant to Sussex today.

Not sure the Welsh fans would agree with that as they are singing men of Harlech

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Sent the results off to Paul Barber this afternoon, and received a quick reply. He's sent the results to Paul Camillin and Paul Beirne.

It's now all down to the club to action this... The supporters have Spoken!!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Didn't see the words on the screens yesterday. Far too many der-der-ders was the result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here