Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex by the Sea V Men of Harlech

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Get the words up on that screen. Just bloody do it. They do it everywhere else. It's not cringey or tinpot or anything else. It's awesome.

We're crying out for a bit of soul back in this club. You can tell people want to make it happen, but with so many thousand fans it seems like it's a very difficult thing to coordinate. Unify people.

"Here's our song. This is how fast you should sing it. These are the lyrics. We sing it as the teams walk out. This is our ANTHEM."

Similar to how the great escape hand-clappy thing brings everyone together, this will to. It's one of the most obvious things I can think of on how to improve the atmostphere at the amex. I just wish the marketing/video people at the club see sense. Instead of blogging about what delights we can be entertained with at half time, why not spend an hour or two making an inspirational video to get the fans warmed up.

Two verses. Original lyrics. Including the word GAY. Watch how good it is. WATCH.

This this this this and this

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They had to otherwise it would have been silent

To be fair to the Cardiff fans, they could be heard from the north stand, when they sang it at the Amex, in September. I also saw some of those to our right clapping in time with the phrasing.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Like it or not, the gay bit will always be a stumbling block. It just doesn't mean the same these days and it is used globally.

Change that line to something like "Now open your hearts and play" and more will join in for the whole song.

I'd sing the word gay in every line to avoid the durge were have at the moment with all the nur nur nur nur clap clap as fast as we can CRAP

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
They had to otherwise it would have been silent

The loudest I heard that sang was a Swansea game I saw last season whilst down there on a golf tour. We were in with the Swansea fans and I came out deafened by their singing......and very impressed with their team too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What response would we get from the naysayers?

A sit down protest.
Delayed admission
No clapping.
No singing.

Of course not.

Nothing will change except the words will be on screen and more people will sing the right ones.
What's the problem.

Hopefully the club will sell a half & half scarf to commemorate the occasion.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I've never really understood the demand to put the words on screen. They are available all over the place and really aren't that difficult to learn. But if the stupid and / or lazy really need them up on the screens then I withdraw my objection.

But please lets all remember the history of this march. It's not a song we should mess about with and I would be extremely disappointed if Barber changed the words. Yes, "gay" has another meaning now from when the song was written. Is it going to cause offence to any BHAFC fan? I would hope not.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Get the words up on that screen. Just bloody do it. They do it everywhere else. It's not cringey or tinpot or anything else. It's awesome.

We're crying out for a bit of soul back in this club. You can tell people want to make it happen, but with so many thousand fans it seems like it's a very difficult thing to coordinate. Unify people.

"Here's our song. This is how fast you should sing it. These are the lyrics. We sing it as the teams walk out. This is our ANTHEM."

Similar to how the great escape hand-clappy thing brings everyone together, this will to. It's one of the most obvious things I can think of on how to improve the atmostphere at the amex. I just wish the marketing/video people at the club see sense. Instead of blogging about what delights we can be entertained with at half time, why not spend an hour or two making an inspirational video to get the fans warmed up.

Two verses. Original lyrics. Including the word GAY. Watch how good it is. WATCH.
This is the truth. I am going to email the bloke (Paul Beirne?) in charge of this tonight and ask him when it is going to happen. Anyone else doing the same might help nudge things along.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Absolutely this.

Paul Barber said at a supporters meeting earlier this season that he had no problem or issue with it, and that it was doable.

Unfortunately nothing gets done, perhaps we should have a definitive vote on NSC, (pretty sure it would be a yes to words on screens) and then email him, at least he replies to emails.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Whenever I see this thread pop back up again over the last few days I always think we are on to a hiding. I just keep getting this vision.. Men of Harlech = Zulu V Sussex By The Sea = Oh What a Lovely War.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I've never really understood the demand to put the words on screen. They are available all over the place and really aren't that difficult to learn. But if the stupid and / or lazy really need them up on the screens then I withdraw my objection.

But please lets all remember the history of this march. It's not a song we should mess about with and I would be extremely disappointed if Barber changed the words. Yes, "gay" has another meaning now from when the song was written. Is it going to cause offence to any BHAFC fan? I would hope not.
I only looked them up after that game where the PA system malfunctioned and the crowd starting singing (mainly going der der da der) instead. However, I'd be surprised if many did this, so it would be brilliant to have the words on the screen so that 20 thousand were actually singing the correct words. I reckon it'd take no more than 4-5 home games max before everyone knew them by heart.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
For forty years I have belted out "for we're going up for to win the cup, for Sussex by the sea". Don't care if it makes no sense, don't care if I'm out of tune, don't care if big band versions are old hat, DON'T CHANGE A THING!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
For forty years I have belted out "for we're going up for to win the cup, for Sussex by the sea". Don't care if it makes no sense, don't care if I'm out of tune, don't care if big band versions are old hat, DON'T CHANGE A THING!
Get with the times.

"Stand or Fall" is where it is at these days (and back in 1914...)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Really?

F*ck off Pompey, Pompey f*ck off.

Surely mockery?

Just an easy way to have a go at Pompey though, isn't it? Nobody's going "Oh I say, what a quaint & old fashioned set of lyrics". They're just thinking "#twats".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here