Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Sussex and Yorkshire - The ties that bind.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I live in Yorkshire and love it up here. People are nice, and everybody (apart from the Leeds fans) hate Leeds United!

One thing I can't get my head around though, is that nobody seems to use their lounge/sitting rooms... They all sit round the kitchen table like they are in an episode of Corrie or EastEnders.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Yorkshire Tea is the best tea.

Aye. Got to love the sight of all those vast tea plantations, stretching across t'hills from Wakefield to Bridlington

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Wuthering Heights (the song) has always been something of a guilty pleasure of mine.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I was born and raised in Bradford. Came to East Sussex when I was 18.

I would rather slam my conkers in a car door and smear chilli paste on the remnants than move away from Sussex.

So, unless I become a raging pervert - you lot are stuck with me.

I love this place.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I live in Yorkshire and love it up here. People are nice, and everybody (apart from the Leeds fans) hate Leeds United!

One thing I can't get my head around though, is that nobody seems to use their lounge/sitting rooms... They all sit round the kitchen table like they are in an episode of Corrie or EastEnders.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

That’s because the lounge, although in their house, is on loan from someone darn sarf.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was born and raised in Bradford. Came to East Sussex when I was 18.

I would rather slam my conkers in a car door and smear chilli paste on the remnants than move away from Sussex.

So, unless I become a raging pervert - you lot are stuck with me.

I love this place.

I've been to York Leeds, Bradford Howarth Keighley and plenty of other places over the years, A school trip, Some work/business and one 'holiday' to visit a school mate whose mum moved there, when I was 14 ( not for long!) some really nice and beautiful places, but frankly Not a location for a continental kid, I also had my worst ever business experiences with a Few proper c**tS from Yorkshire. I've Never been threatened in business for chasing an unpaid invoice, both crooked tight arsed Yorkshireman. One even threatened to sue me for non performance, having done all the work, he expected me to deliver an engine and then he would pay for it . . . Turns out he's a bonafide fraudster with a proper criminal record. The other was just an ordinary chancer northern ****.

I can be in Half a dozen civilised european countries with a similar outlook to mine in half the time it would take me to get North of Watford Gap, I'll never be in any rush to go to Yorkshire.

Conversely, I have good friends and business relationships with people from Lancashire and the north west.

A minuscule sample granted, but one can only comment reliably on personal experience.

The tea is ****ing shyte. India makes good tea.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
There's lots of excellent breweries in Yorkshire, ranging from old timers traditional bitter to more recent innovative styles. I quite like an away game in Yorkshire with plenty of drinking time.

I did wonder about your choice of user name.............

Before we became Seagulls, I thought that Terriers might be a good nickname for the club (I probably didn't know enough about Hull City back then),

Do any photos exist of the Brighton Railway Works football team? I believe they played in white and improved engine green striped shirts :)

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
My younger brother grew up in a football mad household, but had no intrest in football himself. He was much more in to animals and nature.

So from the ages of 5-7 he decided to support Leeds, because he thought they were called Leaves United. :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
. I've Never been threatened in business for chasing an unpaid invoice, both crooked tight arsed Yorkshireman. One even threatened to sue me for non performance, having done all the work, he expected me to deliver an engine and then he would pay for it . . . Turns out he's a bonafide fraudster with a proper criminal record. The other was just an ordinary chancer northern ****.

I was on a business trip to Yorkshire once. We were staying in a hotel in Barnsley and my colleague parked his car. Just as he got out, two blokes walked by us and one of them punched him in the boat and walked away. No words had been exchanged: it was just a random act. For any southerners visiting, that's Yorkshire summed up

(I should say that I was at uni in Bradford for three years and loved it, I had very few experiences like that .. and when I did, they were usually southerners)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I was on a business trip to Yorkshire once. We were staying in a hotel in Barnsley and my colleague parked his car. Just as he got out, two blokes walked by us and one of them punched him in the boat and walked away. No words had been exchanged: it was just a random act. For any southerners visiting, that's Yorkshire summed up

(I should say that I was at uni in Bradford for three years and loved it, I had very few experiences like that .. and when I did, they were usually southerners)

Funny how things taint your opinions of a bigger picture . . . . like seeing a refugee fleeing for their life, in a dinghy and believing the newspaper that says your country is being invaded. :rolleyes:

One of the committee members of a car clab I used to be involved with was a very conservative old fashioned Yorkshireman. Painful to deal with. A contributory factor in me not being in anyway involved any more.

Your, and Howarth are very nice places. the museums are great, as is/was the photography/film museum in Bradford ( it was 35 years ago I went!)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do any photos exist of the Brighton Railway Works football team? I believe they played in white and improved engine green striped shirts :)

I think if any photos exist they would clearly show the stripes were black and white (that replaced the original sepia and white kit they abandoned early in the 20th. Century).

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I love Yorkshire. There, I've said it.

Junior PG the elder lives in central Leeds with a lass from Ponte. He went to York Uni and plays for Long Marston cricket club.

Scenery, hiking and beer is wonderful. It's also vast with a huge offer to the visitor.

Yorkshire folk? Have met some brilliant ones but....eg. it's a myth that they're more friendly. Certainly out hiking Sussex folk are more likely to say hi. Mind you, they can probably tell I'm a southerner from 50 yards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here