Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

surround sound system

simon195

Sep 11, 2007
we went round neighbours house boxing night for few drinks etc and watched film, the person had surround sound system and have to say it was like being in the cinema, jsut awesome, so much so that i brought my own surround sound kit today from argos, just cheap one at under £60 quid ..reviews were very good, and have to say was taken aback by such great value, and fantastic sound, just would be without it, watched matrix and wow ...for anyone who dosent have home cinema sound ...id fully recommend it...

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
I've got one of these, creates 5.1 surround sound from 2 speakers. Saves on the mess of all those wires and its pretty good virtual surround sound

soundaround_unit.jpg

Xitel Soundaround Home Theater Sound from two speakers: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics Photo

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
we went round neighbours house boxing night for few drinks etc and watched film, the person had surround sound system and have to say it was like being in the cinema, jsut awesome, so much so that i brought my own surround sound kit today from argos, just cheap one at under £60 quid ..reviews were very good, and have to say was taken aback by such great value, and fantastic sound, just would be without it, watched matrix and wow ...for anyone who dosent have home cinema sound ...id fully recommend it...

Mine is a bottom of the range LG system that cost me £90 a year back. has been very good value. I have a blu ray player arriving in morning and i dont believe i can connect it to the LG system. So will have to look out for cheap receiever and speakers, but until can afford them my little budget theatre will be fine

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Mine is a bottom of the range LG system that cost me £90 a year back. has been very good value. I have a blu ray player arriving in morning and i dont believe i can connect it to the LG system. So will have to look out for cheap receiever and speakers, but until can afford them my little budget theatre will be fine

Does your LG surround have an optical connection port at the back ? (very small, square, might have a bit of plastic in it that you pull out).
If so, your blu-ray player should also have an optical connection. An optical lead costs less than a tenner, you can use that to connect them up. And believe me, blu-ray 5.1 ramps up the surround something ROTTEN. Its stupendous. I've got an old Acoustic Solutions 5.1 surround which I was considering replacing, until I heard blu-ray through it.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
I have half a surround sound system, I think it's neat

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Does your LG surround have an optical connection port at the back ? (very small, square, might have a bit of plastic in it that you pull out).
If so, your blu-ray player should also have an optical connection. An optical lead costs less than a tenner, you can use that to connect them up. And believe me, blu-ray 5.1 ramps up the surround something ROTTEN. Its stupendous. I've got an old Acoustic Solutions 5.1 surround which I was considering replacing, until I heard blu-ray through it.

dont think it has but will take a look later. The manual says/shows only scart, component video out terminals,aux audio input coonectors. thats all. a pain but i shall look for a av receiver and speakers some time

highway61

Jun 30, 2009

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
I eventually went for separates ......not the cheapest option I know but at least then you can swap/upgrade each individually. For example you may go blu-ray at some point and all you will need to do is upgrade the player .I have gone Denon(DVD) , Sony (AV amp) and KEF surround speakers , mindblowing and would recommend them all VFM wise , but not cheap and luckily I got them before I was made redundant or I couldnt have justified it !

Last edited:

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing

is it this one....?
Buy Alba AS122 100W 3.1 Silver Home Theatre Speaker Kit. at Argos.co.uk
was thinking of getting it myself

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Well said Easy. I also have my Sky+HD box connected via optical to my 5.1 system, and it really makes a difference. I'd like to see more content broadcast in Dolby Digital though.

simon195

Sep 11, 2007

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Well said Easy. I also have my Sky+HD box connected via optical to my 5.1 system, and it really makes a difference. I'd like to see more content broadcast in Dolby Digital though.

Blu ray player arrived today, will not be able to connect it to my current home movie system as no optical connection. a shame but will save for a av receiver then speakers. first thing to buy though is a blu-ray disc!!! as band of brothers set is still to arrive

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Blu ray player arrived today, will not be able to connect it to my current home movie system as no optical connection. a shame but will save for a av receiver then speakers. first thing to buy though is a blu-ray disc!!! as band of brothers set is still to arrive

Does the player have any other connections? You may still be able to connect it, even if you can't get the 5.1.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
component terminalls which i think i can use.

That will do it. You'll get the sound coming out of all speakers at the same time instead of the different channels (speach, background noise etc) but it it's better than the speakers on the TV!

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
cheers mate. one other thing, ive not read manual yet, but upscalling? does that happen automatically, i dont need set anything? the picture i just had for normal dvd seemed excellent

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
cheers mate. one other thing, ive not read manual yet, but upscalling? does that happen automatically, i dont need set anything? the picture i just had for normal dvd seemed excellent

Shouldn't have to, the player will do that for you. Sounds like it already is from what you say.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
yep, mind you it wouldnt be me if i did not have questions!! they still not made things totally idiot proof for this 50+ fellalol

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here