Surrey CCC player Tom Maynard inquest.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just seen this on the BBC website and was wondering how any professional sports player could be a drug user for up to 3 1/2 months without anyone picking it up ?

It also seems odd that RHB, his flatmate was " unaware " that he had taken drugs that night but, as his flatmate and County Captain he must have been aware of something not being right ?

BBC News - Train death cricketer Tom Maynard was high on drugs

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Just seen this on the BBC website and was wondering how any professional sports player could be a drug user for up to 3 1/2 months without anyone picking it up ?

It also seems odd that RHB, his flatmate was " unaware " that he had taken drugs that night but, as his flatmate and County Captain he must have been aware of something not being right ?

BBC News - Train death cricketer Tom Maynard was high on drugs

Guess you have never taken drugs?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I'm sure it's almost obligatory to be off your head if you are at art college or similar, but as a professional sportsman sharing a flat with your club captain surely bells would have been ringing ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

What do you mean by that?

I would have said that if you were going out with a mate, you'd be pretty aware that they were on something else other than just drink. Primarily because they'd either be cuddling you and telling you what a great mate you are, and/or talking incessantly about shit non stop.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
What do you mean by that?

I would have said that if you were going out with a mate, you'd be pretty aware that they were on something else other than just drink. Primarily because they'd either be cuddling you and telling you what a great mate you are, and/or talking incessantly about shit non stop.

Plenty of people exhibit that behaviour when just drunk.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You'd feel pretty devastated losing your best friend and colleague. If you felt (unfairly) that you could have done something to prevent the tragedy, it would take a long, long time to get over that.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Hamilton-Brown and Dernbach were drinking too, which might have blinded them somewhat to what was going on under their nose.

Or perhaps it's just that they didn't want to tarnish his memory by confessing that they knew?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm assuming the drug use was confirmed by testing his hair samples and therefore it could mean the drug use was more prolonged. After the Ed Giddins incident I thought there was some kind of testing procedure pout in place ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm assuming the drug use was confirmed by testing his hair samples and therefore it could mean the drug use was more prolonged. After the Ed Giddins incident I thought there was some kind of testing procedure pout in place ?

Random though, isn't it? It's not systematic and regular, they do it randomly so that the players can't predict when they're going to be done.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Random though, isn't it? It's not systematic and regular, they do it randomly so that the players can't predict when they're going to be done.

Yep, it is random testing, either he was lucky and never got selected for a test or didnt realise they can test hair, or both, who knows, but Lance Armstrong managed to figure it out and get away with it for years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports