Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surfing

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I used to belong to the Brighton Canoe Club when we had an clubhouse on the fishermans hard.

Very rare for any decent surf but I do remember one classic evening when there were about 5 kayaks and about the same number of boards surfing in the gap between the Palace Pier and the groyne all shouting "My Wave" 1970 ish.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Anyone get in early doors? I heard it was shoulder high at the Hot Pipe. A lovely clean swell and offshore. Smaller at lunchtime.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
They actually do surf near the steel mills in Chicago (south of downtown). The water is about 7 to 10 degrees C here this time of year.

Gallery_Abakumov.jpg

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Not been in for a couple of years now, but the winter swells are the best obviously. The only thing that annoyed me was the drift and messy waves on windy days, very rare you get clean sets unless in the arms.

Plan to get back into again shortly now life permits.
True about the lack of clean swell, although keep an eye on sharkbait.co.uk as James is very good at calling the swell.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Hot pipes, Carats caff, day after a big storm, marvellous & mushrooms on toast & a cuppa afters
Nice. I prefer the Roedean caff over by the Marina. A couple of decades ago all the surfers parked there and had a tea and whatnot in the cafe, then a set of tenants got arsey with those who didn't avail themselves of the scram on offer (even though the car park is huge) and started clamping. Thankfully now the the current tenants are really welcoming and the cafe serves good honest grub. I've dinged 2 cars squeezing through the metal posts over the road so I'll pay my dues in the form of a takeaway coffee. Surf's been mental for the last few months and warm - I've only worn gloves twice.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Lived in Bali the past four years. Now in Cornwall. Messy and cold, makes me angry :angry: but hey-ho, could be worse :smokin:
A few of my friends have moved from Brighton to N Devon and they've not been in for weeks this autumn/winter - no shelter on the local beaches and miles to drive to the 'secret' spots which will be crowded when they get there.
Bali - there's somewhere I'd like to live. I visited it for 4 days on the way back from a 4 week holiday in Oz in 87. Wished I'd done it the other way round.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here