Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Surely we must have some decent free kick takers in this squad?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I really don't want our centre back trying to take free kicks like Ronaldo did once successfully in 2007. Yesterday's effort was one of his most accurate yet was pretty much a side foot down the middle of the goal.

We need someone with guile who could potentially get it up and over the wall either side rather than what Dunk is doing. Would like to see Fati have a go or Pascal every now and then (Enciso when he's back). The way Dunk takes free kicks, he needs to stay away from the ones close the edge of the area. A bit further out - fair enough but just let someone else smack it true and hard when close rather than this weird laces action he does which hasn't ever worked in all the bloody years he's being having a go (the one at Liverpool doesn't count as the goalie wasn't ready and he passed it into the net).

Very happy to be proved wrong!

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
It’s not even just free kicks. Our awful record from corners I think is a lot about delivery as well. I love Pascal but his corners are a bit floaty, and March (pre injury) very inconsistent. Given how well coached we are otherwise I’m surprised we’ve not got more focus on it, it seems like something that should be quite coachable.
Actually incorrect. Groß is one of the most accurate corner takers in the league, finding our players the most out of any player in the league from corners I remember seeing in an article a while back

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I really don't want our centre back trying to take free kicks like Ronaldo did once successfully in 2007. Yesterday's effort was one of his most accurate yet was pretty much a side foot down the middle of the goal.

We need someone with guile who could potentially get it up and over the wall either side rather than what Dunk is doing. Would like to see Fati have a go or Pascal every now and then (Enciso when he's back). The way Dunk takes free kicks, he needs to stay away from the ones close the edge of the area. A bit further out - fair enough but just let someone else smack it true and hard when close rather than this weird laces action he does which hasn't ever worked in all the bloody years he's being having a go (the one at Liverpool doesn't count as the goalie wasn't ready and he passed it into the net).

Very happy to be proved wrong!
But……...what has Fati done that makes you think he could hit a decent free kick ?

Dunk is only taking the because he’ll have the best numbers in training……not sure what else we can go on. If we get one in a different position (ie more to the left or right) suspect someone else will be taking it. The Dunky knuckleball only really works when it’s relatively straight

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
But……...what has Fati done that makes you think he could hit a decent free kick ?

Dunk is only taking the because he’ll have the best numbers in training……not sure what else we can go on. If we get one in a different position (ie more to the left or right) suspect someone else will be taking it. The Dunky knuckleball only really works when it’s relatively straight
Fati is technically class and 'Dunky's knuckleball' (like that!) has never worked has it? No idea if Fati is any better but want someone else taking them rather than all of these Dunk efforts although he is getting closer I suppose!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fati is technically class and 'Dunky's knuckleball' (like that!) has never worked has it? No idea if Fati is any better but want someone else taking them rather than all of these Dunk efforts although he is getting closer I suppose!
Dunky has to score one in 15 to be at par on direct free kicks
He’s evidently the best in training (otherwise he wouldn’t be taking them)
Has Fati ever scored a direct free kick ? How much does he practice it ? What are his tracmaster stats for dip/speed etc ?

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
So you'd rather someone else, who we have no idea if they even practice free kicks, take them than the player who hit the bar and forced a good save from his last two and clearly has shown in training he's good at them.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Why don't we stick Igor in goal actually. He's tall and good on the ball so why not.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Dunky has to score one in 15 to be at par on direct free kicks
He’s evidently the best in training (otherwise he wouldn’t be taking them)
Has Fati ever scored a direct free kick ? How much does he practice it ? What are his tracmaster stats for dip/speed etc ?
Bar a quickly taken one in 2019 has Dunk ever scored a direct free kick? How much does he practice it? What are his tracmaster stats for dip/speed etc?

I didn't know you got to watch Albion train. How do you know he is the best in training?

Dunk's scoring ratio is not even close to 1 in 15.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bar a quickly taken one in 2019 has Dunk ever scored a direct free kick? How much does he practice it? What are his tracmaster stats for dip/speed etc?

I didn't know you got to watch Albion train. How do you know he is the best in training?

Dunk's scoring ratio is not even close to 1 in 15.
I doubt he would be taking them if we had someone better…….
Dunk’s ratio is exactly 1 in 15 :shrug:

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
So you'd rather someone else, who we have no idea if they even practice free kicks, take them than the player who hit the bar and forced a good save from his last two and clearly has shown in training he's good at them.
Do you have any idea if Dunk practices free kicks? Dunk has got closer in his last two but what about the previous 20 or so? Dunk's style of free kick wasn't suited for either of the last two free kicks as it needed someone to get them up and over. Not hard and in a straight line.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Why don't we stick Igor in goal actually. He's tall and good on the ball so why not.
Wanting a more attacking player with more guile and skill over his shooting to take the free kicks isn't exactly the same as wanting a centre back to go in goal but keep typing these witty things Slothy.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I doubt he would be taking them if we had someone better…….
Dunk’s ratio is exactly 1 in 15 :shrug:
and that probably doesn't include the decent free kick he took against WBA which had to be retaken because of referee incompetence....

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Can’t believe this is still open for debate. Have you seen the last two. He is decent. Gross was probably the last regular to get one but how long ago? How many has he failed with since?

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Wanting a more attacking player with more guile and skill over his shooting to take the free kicks isn't exactly the same as wanting a centre back to go in goal but keep typing these witty things Slothy.
Free kicks aren't the same as shooting from open play. They require a completely different technique.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
MOTD stat tonight shows Sterling scores his second direct free kick in 361 PL appearances.

So there’s hope for Lewis yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here