[Albion] Surely we must have some decent free kick takers in this squad?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It looked to me like Dahood was meant to take the free kick Sunday and Dunk over ruled it.
I then looked at his career stats and wonder why we signed this fella it’s not o exactly enlightening.
Out of interest what stats have you looked at?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
But I'm not saying it because it's a one off. If it was, we'd all just laugh and move on. But there have been a few occasions when it's happened, and he never remotely looks like scoring. I just find it odd that a team which goes to such great lengths to try and avoid giving the ball away (we still haven't taken a single long goal kick this season) would choose an option which seems to offer no more than a 50/50 chance of retaining the ball.

Look, I think Dunk is a great player: I just cannot fathom what it is about his technique which makes anyone think he's a likely scorer from a dead ball situation.
Maybe he's been watching Stuart Pearce videos on you tube 🙄

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ally Mac was the 1 but we don't have him now. On another note I'm always concerned when we concede corners but when we get them it doesn't bother opposition teams as we rarely score from them.
I think our corners have improved a little in recent weeks.

we haven't scored, but they looked nice ☺️

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Like I've said previously, he must be smashing them in at training for fun. He MUST be.

He's got the technique but isn't used to doing it on the big stage. The one against Ajax was going in, the one against Fulham hit the bar.

He's going to score one away somewhere when there's less pressure.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For at least the last 2 games the opposition have known exactly what was going to happen.
They've lined up their wall accordingly.
They've not included a draft excluder.
The wall has then jumped like salmons.

The goal is coming but it will be scored under, not over, the wall.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
For at least the last 2 games the opposition have known exactly what was going to happen.

I hadn't noticed. I'm going to go back over the highlights now to look. Have you texted RDZ, as that would be HILARIOUS :wink:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Good point. Is Dunky playing the long game....

The keeper knows which side it's going too, so to score it will need to be perfectly executed, or the keeper needs to make a howler.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It’s definitely happening. He knows what he is doing. When he smashes one in it’s going to be terrific.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That 32% includes all those that go limply into the keepers arms though (ie worse - imo - than Dunk’s effort that hit the bar).

I’m not not knocking LD, just some Athletic stats.

Although hitting the workwork is simply a miss. That’s just me being consistent … when hacks say ……. were so unlucky as they hit the woodwork several times (said about multiple Potter Amex losses), to me that’s nonsense. The attempts were all misses.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’m not not knocking LD, just some Athletic stats.

Although hitting the workwork is simply a miss. That’s just me being consistent … when hacks say ……. were so unlucky as they hit the woodwork several times (said about multiple Potter Amex losses), to me that’s nonsense. The attempts were all misses.
Yeah but that’s the classic ‘missed a penalty’ thing when it’s put just wide of the post…..’he couldn’t even hit the goal’. Wasn’t aiming at the goal, was aiming at a spot 6 inches inside the post and missed it by 6 inches. It’s not ‘simply a miss’ imo…….6 inches wide of the post is more accurate than 3ft inside the post if he was aiming just inside 🤷‍♂️

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah but that’s the classic ‘missed a penalty’ thing when it’s put just wide of the post…..’he couldn’t even hit the goal’. Wasn’t aiming at the goal, was aiming at a spot 6 inches inside the post and missed it by 6 inches. It’s not ‘simply a miss’ imo…….6 inches wide of the post is more accurate than 3ft inside the post if he was aiming just inside 🤷‍♂️

An aside about pens, they’re all described as misses …. but to me there’s a world of difference between doing a Waddle versus a great save.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports