[Albion] Surely we must have some decent free kick takers in this squad?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I was behind the goal and it was going in. It also didn’t go straight into the wall, the wall jumped and it skimmed off a defender’s head which changed trajectory over for a corner.
‘skimmed off a defenders head’ would not change the direction of the ball that much, it went totally the opposite way. You could argue any free kick which hits the wall is technically going in. It’s like saying it was going in when a keeper saves a penalty

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Wel it raised a smile in our house tonight when me and my boys all let out a loud “noooooooo!” at exactly the same time when we saw Dunky lining up that kick!

It’s like with our corners for the last few years - Gross and March putting exactly the same ball in time and again with no end result and no one else getting a chance to take them causing great frustration here! At least lately they seem to be mixing the corners up, time to do the same with direct free kicks now - sorry Lewis!
This. I have become accustomed to the usual disappointment with corners.You just can't beat a ferocious in swinger causing chaos under the bar. If someone has the stats for the number of corners this season against goals scored from corners please post. Regarding free kicks there is not many CD's know for their technical ability to bend the ball around the wall - usually the job of a number 10 maestro, the raw power approach usually ends up hitting the wall or row z.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I get your point. I was thinking of the free kick he scored against Portsmouth which was probably the perfect knuckleball

Yeah and because of that one free kick people think he was a great taker. In reality he wasn't but took so many he scored a few memorable ones.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I think many people have an unreasonable expectation of how effective free kicks are for scoring goals.

For example, though widely credited as the best in the PL, last season James Ward-Prowse only scored 3 direct free kicks from 17 attemps, under 18% conversion rate. In the whole PL there were only 17 scored, from 301 attempts - less than 6%.

Given that Albion only attempted 12 direct free kicks, achieving 0 goals (compared to an expected 0.68) is definitely within the margin of error. We created 3 goals from indirect dead balls (2 Gross, 1 March - as the provider, not the scorer) but were these all corners? (the stats I found combined all types of dead ball)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
‘skimmed off a defenders head’ would not change the direction of the ball that much, it went totally the opposite way. You could argue any free kick which hits the wall is technically going in. It’s like saying it was going in when a keeper saves a penalty
I’m not suggesting it was a great strike, only that it was on target and not directly into the wall as previously stated. It almost cleared the wall and won us a corner.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I’m not suggesting it was a great strike, only that it was on target and not directly into the wall as previously stated. It almost cleared the wall and won us a corner.
From my angle in the North Shelf it looked like it was at the right height to dip in under the bar had it not hit the wall.

He’s had his chances now I think someone should be given a go, to a least work the keeper

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Small margins….the one on Thurs was probably 2 inches away from at least making the keeper work. Pretty sure he’s taking them because he’s the best we’ve got based on what happens in training…….this stuff is analysed to death with sophisticated tech……so anyone else taking them is likely to be even less successful. As @schmunk essentially points out, if he sticks one in soon he’ll be statistically ‘normal’.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
All of the disappointments will be totally worth it when he clatters one into the top corner. Preferably against Palace.
So we are going to persist with this crap until he gets one?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports