Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surely palace can't...

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Hmm, that only shows the average attendance, so isn't really that helpful in the whole 'never filled Withdean' argument. Could really do with a source that shows the ground capacity for that season and what the largest crowd was.

However, judging by the average for the first season at Withdean and knowing the capacity was 6k makes me think it must have been full pretty much of the time. In fact those figures seem to suggest that there was only about three seasons when the average attendance was poor, given the capacity.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Source? Or just plain crap?

No one will know exactly how many Brighton fans were on the waiting list at the Withdean stadium or were on the database bar the club themselves.
However if it's based on fact our 1st season at the AMEX and 2nd both had waiting lists for season tickets. This is fact, no source required.
However as you love sources here is a link to the website even detailing the waiting list for 2012/13
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/documents/st-pricelist-2013-14229-713841.pdf
So logically speaking and this is only logic so may be hard to comprehend when the AMEX 1st opened I believe the capacity was around 21k. So in the 3 months from leaving the Withdean stadium to playing at the AMEX the club did not magic another 13k of fans from nowhere. That 1st season average was 20028
Likewise when the capacity increased it was done so with demand in mind. There was a waiting list. People wanted season tickets. Those facts speak for themselves.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Thing has turned into something rather tragic

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It seems that this thread has been derailed by Little Al demanding that all squabbles have to be backed up with citations. It would be interesting to provide footnotes to each argument. (Peer reviewed books and journals only of course).

Lets start with this one. The post that started the argument:

Isnit it half already with no shows?(1) Certainly looked that way on Friday(2), plus your 5 year deals will run out before next season (3), you'd better hope you get promotion or there will be a lot of those not renewed. (4)

(1) "Little Al's World of Sarcastic, but incorrect rhetorical questions" - Al, Little (Oxford University Press 2016)
(2) "The I-Spy Book of Things To See Whilst Spending Your Friday Night Watching The Team You Hate on Television" - Al, Little (I-Spy Books 2016)
(3) ""I Dunno, Does It Matter?" - Guesses I Have Made Whilst Trying To Wind Up Strangers On The Internet" - Al, Little (Janet & John 2016)
(4) Ibid

Feb 14, 2010
Okay you took what I said literally to support the argument.

You would have though with 27k plus fans trying to get in to a 7k capacity stadium that it would have been full every game, but it was not.

My friend, we were playing in the lowest tier of football against Hartlepool and without a proper ground. Now remind me of your gate against a well supported Cardiff in The Championship a few years back, at Selhurst your proper ground, thats right, 11000 with adults using kids season tickets and 2 for 1 deals. Brighton were selling out Withdean in the lowest tier for a number of seasons despite no decent football for what nearly 30 years, and didnt sell it out for what 2 or 3 seasons. You lot really are special. Daft as a brush to run this one given your disappearing fans even in the Championship.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
My friend, we were playing in the lowest tier of football against Hartlepool and without a proper ground. Now remind me of your gate against a well supported Cardiff in The Championship a few years back, at Selhurst your proper ground, thats right, 11000 with adults using kids season tickets and 2 for 1 deals. Brighton were selling out Withdean in the lowest tier for a number of seasons despite no decent football for what nearly 30 years, and didnt sell it out for what 2 or 3 seasons. You lot really are special. Daft as a brush to run this one given your disappearing fans even in the Championship.

So not only are you an expert on London but also this. I see you left that thread pretty quickly when you were shown up.
Did you always sell out withdrawn? No. So where did the other 20k appear from? Of all the clubs to talk about JCLs, Brighton really are not the best placed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A ridiculous debate. People who, presumably, go and support their team and have done for some time arguing about when some other people started coming along themselves.

It's bizarre that Palace fans, with their club enjoying one of the most successful periods in their entire history, are bothering to get into a tit-for-tat over attendances. You think they'd concentrate on what really matters: their success on the field.

It's particularly bizarre given attendances is one area where Palace have not excelled. You can only compare like-for-like and the last time that happened was 2012-13. Two clubs with stadiums with enough capacity for their fanbase and both challenging at the right end of the same division. Palace's average attendance was 17,280, and Albion's 26,236. That's 51.8% higher. It's not even close.

Feb 14, 2010
So not only are you an expert on London but also this. I see you left that thread pretty quickly when you were shown up.
Did you always sell out withdrawn? No. So where did the other 20k appear from? Of all the clubs to talk about JCLs, Brighton really are not the best placed.

It was a Saturday night, as I live in London, I er had something to do. No idea how I was shown up. Ive lived all over London including 5 areas of S London, both inner and outer in the past. But have it your way. As for the rest well read the post before, you will see the answers to you post plus I suppose you could ask where our missing 10,000 have gone snce we were getting 34000 for Rochdale in the third division. By the way, why are you on a forum of a club that is not your own on a Saturday night. You really should get out and about in London, its a great city you know.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
You would have though with 27k plus fans trying to get in to a 7k capacity stadium that it would have been full every game, but it was not.

Oh do f uck off. Classic ignorant Palace fan post about our crowds at Withdean. Do come back when you know what you're talking about....on second thoughts, please don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here