Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surely Palace can't... 16/17

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
The deficit for last year includes spending on infrastructure and is not relevant for FFP. Apart from the installation of a few plastic seats and the addition of a bit of cladding, in what way has Palace’s infrastructure been improved since promotion four years ago?

New scanners on the tills at sainsburys to allow the customers out the ground quicker?

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
You are avoiding the question, how much did bha lose last year and how much did we lose.

Palace’s next set of figures should be interesting, and they will not be able to attribute any losses to expenditure on infrastructure.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Anyone would think you are avoiding a very simple question.
Will parachute payments cover the wages of your players when you go down? You seem to have really gone for it wage wise recently.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Anyone would think you are avoiding a very simple question.

To compare Palace’s finances with Albion’s is not to compare like with like, since Palace have been raking in hundreds of millions of pounds for the last four years, a bounty and a basis for success which it seems hell-bent on squandering in an orgy of desperate spending on transfer fees and players’ wages.

How about we compare the financial records of the two clubs when Palace were not in the Premier League?

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
To compare Palace’s finances with Albion’s is not to compare like with like, since Palace have been raking in hundreds of millions of pounds for the last four years, a bounty and a basis for success which it seems hell-bent on squandering in an orgy of desperate spending on transfer fees and players’ wages.

How about we compare the financial records of the two clubs when Palace were not in the Premier League?

So you are laughing at us for spending money we made in profit, but we must not mention you spending money you have not. Hypocrisy at its finest.

If we go down it won't look good for us, though I'm sure Parish has a contingency. He and the others are not exactly paupers. If we go down we will lose most of our good players, the same way you will if you don't go up.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
So you are laughing at us for spending money we made in profit, but we must not mention you spending money you have not. Hypocrisy at its finest.

If we go down it won't look good for us, though I'm sure Parish has a contingency. He and the others are not exactly paupers. If we go down we will lose most of our good players, the same way you will if you don't go up.

My point is that our losses are the result of spending on infrastructure - that is, investment - whereas your losses, which caused you to enter administration twice, could not be attributed to such forward planning. Even when you have hundreds of millions of pounds to spend, you neglect your infrastructure.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003

I'm sure Parish has a contingency ..... I kind of like that.

I also have a saying at work, "Assumption is the mother of all F*** ups" maybe that would look good hanging on the Holmesdale stand when you do your next laser/confetti display?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Last 12 months you guys have done great. Looks like you have got a good squad together and have the right ingredients for promotion. :thumbsup:

Previous 408 months...less so

What are you talking about - we've been very successful in our respective leagues overall for about 17 years. We're also about 12 places higher than you in overall league record since football existed (someone posted the table the other day on here if I could find it I would post). So no, you're well wrong.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
What are you talking about - we've been very successful in our respective leagues overall for about 17 years. We're also about 12 places higher than you in overall league record since football existed (someone posted the table the other day on here if I could find it I would post). So no, you're well wrong.

Was thinking the same, spending outside your means and being in a higher division doesn't really constitute success does it, especially longer term.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Was thinking the same, spending outside your means and being in a higher division doesn't really constitute success does it, especially longer term.

It's pretty much impossible to compare the financial success (or otherwise) of two clubs in such drastically different divisions. Despite this, it would be interesting to look at £ spent per point across all clubs in these two divisions and see where we stand against our peers.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Remind me again how much bha lose every year? Deluded hypocrite's!

Lose every year? Well it depends on who we sell. Last season looked particularly bad as we didn't sell anyone to off-set the books. We all know championship clubs (esp without parachute payments) aren't at all sustainable. If you want to cling on to one or two sets of figures like most of your lot seem to to convince yourselves then go ahead. We've not overspent on players or bought our way to our league position - infact nowhere near it (if you want me to post the table of who spent what this summer I can). Of course, the irony of any Palace fan daring to talk about anothher clubs' finances is just plain embarrassing. You don't have the right to ever discuss finances in football if you support the franchise in many people's eyes - not just BHA fans.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing

To be fair you bring up a good point, but there is a few differences, we have spent Mr Bloom's money on securing our future, ensuring that we do not go under or god forbid an admin. If you understand football finance, then if you I both take off our Blue and Red and Blue and white tinted glasses, where would you rather be financially ?, spending loads of money on players and wages, who frankly do not give a damn about your club, or spending on an infrastructure for future generations of fans to go and enjoy the wonderful facilities and watching a team which wins quite a bit. I have a few Palace mates who are not happy with the situation of spend spend spend and they feel that your owner is running the club like a fan, with added pressure from the yanks, think how that ended last time with the failed mobile phone salesman. Blooms money is an investment from the heart, not like your owners who only are looking for profit. We can also be confident of getting some major money in from the Property deal which is under way with 600 houses and Ikea on our land, again good money for the club. I actually feel sad for my mates who like you are just supporters of a club and feel worried about the future of their club. In summary we are investing, within FFP rules, unlike lots of other clubs in our league and where will our clubs be in 5 years time?, I know where my money is on. I actually don't want you to go down or go bust/admin again, as we could be playing each other again, which is something I would enjoy, although, I would never go to Selhurst again, until the Met treat me as a human being and we can sit/stand is surroundings that are acceptable.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Oh and it doesn't surprise me that several of the Nigels are going big on this thread today - the second they'd seen we'd signed 16 goal Glenn permanantly their hearts must have sank. Such a kick in the balls after all their gloating about him signing for them as a free agent. :lol:

Oh and the brilliance of FFS MURRAY now being used against them :lol: couldn't have scripted it better. So much better than £30 mil Benteke too :clap:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
My money is Boro going down with Hull and Sunderland

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Can someone remind me, wasn't there a January transfer window recently where Palace bought something like 10 players using a similar scatter-gun technique?

And another Palace-related transfer story, was it Nicklas Bendtner that was going to sign for them, got to the training ground and took one look at it and turned round again?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My money is Boro going down with Hull and Sunderland

Could be right. I don't think any BHA fans are expecting palace to REALLY go down - they've spent far too much money on that squad and have a ridiculous wage bill - they just can't go down. Everyone on this thread has looked at the next 4 fixtures and realised palace will comfortably win 3 or 4 of them and be out of trouble. There's no pressure on them after these 3/4 wins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here