Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surely any club thinking of employing Poyet....

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Football is one of those few industries where your previous conduct is overlooked if you're deemed to be good enough. Marlon King, Joey Barton and a few others have all served prison sentences and gone on to be re-employed. Whatever has happened with Gus, it won't make him unemployable by any stretch.

Exactly!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
and Poyets CV has written on it? He did a lot for Brighton, no, I view it the other way round, our club did a lot for him and put with his antics for long enough. If his players had not had bailed him against Palace at home in the league, he would have gone then. The only element missing in our promotion last year was the manager.
If he moves on to a prem team fine, but I guarantee like Di Canio he will be found out very quickly.

And I guarantee you're talking shit.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Its all about spin and what people choose to say and what they get out of it.

Gus could say that everything was hunky dory at the Albion until the conditions were changed in the final year (aka Barber) and this all could be dismissed as a personality clash. TB may be happy to accept this if the whole Poohgate etc brooha blows over. After all, then its not his problem anymore.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
In many businesses, giving a verbal reference would lead to severe bollacking at the very least.

a) most businesses do it
b) this is football

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Who is going to give TB a bollacking?

It's not the bollacking but the underlying risk. It's a hugely sensitive legal area hence why few sensible employers stray from a very tight and prescribed format. TB may well decide to ignore but I'd have thought he'd have more sense

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
It's not the bollacking but the underlying risk. It's a hugely sensitive legal area hence why few sensible employers stray from a very tight and prescribed format. TB may well decide to ignore but I'd have thought he'd have more sense

A man worth £700m scared of telling the truth, hardly

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

You're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think few employers will discuss ex employees over the phone. Complete and utter nonsense. And that's from someone with 7 years in recruitment. And that's with sensible businesses, we're talking about football clubs here! The first thing Ellis Short would do after interviewing Poyet and deciding he is interested, is call Tony Bloom / Paul Barber. Of course he would!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
You're living in cloud cuckoo land if you think few employers will discuss ex employees over the phone. Complete and utter nonsense. And that's from someone with 7 years in recruitment. And that's with sensible businesses, we're talking about football clubs here! The first thing Ellis Short would do after interviewing Poyet and deciding he is interested, is call Tony Bloom / Paul Barber. Of course he would!

Well then we have 2 very different experiences, but if you want to ask any of Amex, GE, BA, or Citi they for starters will tell you SFA.

Didn't appreciate Football was different in respect to the laws of defamation and such like

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Well then we have 2 very different experiences, but if you want to ask any of Amex, GE, BA, or Citi they for starters will tell you SFA

There's a difference- these people in football all know each other. They will talk, guaranteed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We can't be sure about Sunderland.

Maybe he just didn't impress.

What if honest Radio Poyet had said he would need time to make a decision as he was waiting to see what happened at Fulham.

Wouldn't have gone down well, and is just an example that he could fail to get the Sunderland job for many reasons.

Would Gus want to manage any club without Tanno? I thought there was a clue in the Argus article on Saturday.

Taricco is expected to link back up with Poyet if the Uruguayan lands the Sunderland job, although he was coy when asked about the Black Cats. He said: "For me no, there's nothing in there."

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

He didn't call Swindon, apparently.

For the record, I have been told by several different HR departments, in different companies noever to discuss former employees, officially or unofficially, just direct queries to HR.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He didn't call Swindon, apparently.

For the record, I have been told by several different HR departments, in different companies noever to discuss former employees, officially or unofficially, just direct queries to HR.

Your missing the point. In many businesses, the companies are in direct competition and relationships between them are more about getting one over each other. In football, you need to get on with the other chairman because you need to do deals with them over players and managers etc. No one would admit to talking about prospective managers with their former employees but I would have no doubt that in many cases it goes on.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Your missing the point. In many businesses, the companies are in direct competition and relationships between them are more about getting one over each other. In football, you need to get on with the other chairman because you need to do deals with them over players and managers etc. No one would admit to talking about prospective managers with their former employees but I would have no doubt that in many cases it goes on.

You're correct about the rivalry situation. I've done work on the Sunderland back office IT system and as a trading organisation they don't consider Newcastle to be rivals, rather they feel the two busineses have a symbiotic relationship. Financially it's best for both when they're both doing well as the rivalry helps sales. And both know they could never attract 'customers' from the other!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Didn't appreciate Football was different in respect to the laws of defamation and such like

It is. You're not allowed to tap players up on football, does it happen? Yes, all the time.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Do any employers give bad references though?

I thought the standard format if someone was crap was just to write something like "I can confirm that Mr Jeremiah Shagpile was employed by Griffin Simpson Wetherby Hale for a continuous period from June 2009 until August 2013", and leave it there.

Whereas if you're good, they're effusive in their praise?

Things have obviously changed massively since i gave up 3 years ago.

For 30 years all written references were as Edna pointed out, with the less said, the worse the reference. (Everyone knew what should be on the reference and what it meant if it was missing). I worked in a particular area of business and had a lot of contacts at other companies (previous employees, employers etc) and we would all call one another for verbal references all the time. And this included medium and large companies (FTSE 100s).

*edit* I can't remember written references but know i've had verbals from 2 of the 4 that Rugrat mentioned.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here