Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Support acts that proved better than the main concert

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Yes, I was at that gig too, one of the very first when Bowie appeared as Ziggy Stardust. Most of the audience were big hairy greasers who had come to see The Groundhogs, and weren't much impressed with Bowie's theatrics.

Me and my mate, who had only come to see Bowie, got some very funny looks. Was probably a good idea that we decided to leave 10 minutes into the Groundhogs appalling act.

Excuse me, but I had gone to see the Groundhogs perform "Split" which is still one of my favourite albums although I do tend to save it for the car these days. However I was a mere hairy schoolboy at the time.:lolol: Thought Bowie was very good - even the "This is Major Tom to Major Tom" faux pas.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
First saw Lynyrd Skynyrd at the Dome (74 I think) supporting Golden Earring - bloody awesome.

Me too------so impressed I told all my mates and a couple of years later I got tickets for all of us at the Dome.
We managed to turn up a week early :facepalm:---cost me a bit in :drink:

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I was playing at The Bull and Gate in Kentish Town in the mid 90's.
Our support band, consisting of 3 young lads from the south west, blew us offstage.
They ( muse) went on to better gigs, we didn't .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
About the same time I saw the Genesis, Lindisfarne, Van der Graaf Generator concert at the Dome. VDGG topped the bill.
Probably Worthing couldn't afford VDGG as well! I had seen VDGG anyway - I thought they were excellent, but a bit surprised they topped the bill - Lindisfarne were big for a while, while VDGG never really rose above cult status, and Genesis at the time were just breaking.

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011
August 18 1979 - the same day as our first ever game in the old Div 1, 0-4 vs Arsenal. Hugh Cornwell made a point of announcing the result to the crowd during The Stranglers' set - one of only two things he said during a piss-poor performance. AC/DC were also pretty average on that day. The external speakers failed mid-set and the band carried on for about 2 songs because the stage speakers still worked and they couldn't hear the crowd whistling.
Nils Lofgren was the second-best on the bill.

The Who were awesome.
Time machine order cancelled, thanks for the date correction, good to hear from someone who was actually there. Love The Who too so it could still be worth a visit :)

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Was chuffed to catch Black Rebel Motorcycle Club as support to The Killers at Brighton Centre in 2007 I think. For me they were better.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
When Blur headlined Mile End, I enjoyed Sparks, Boo Radleys and Dodgy more
Dodgy always put on a good show.Saw them around 40 times ,always better in a smaller venue like The Old Trout Windsor where they were supported by Pele another good band of the day,The Agincourt Camberley and The West End Centre Aldershot.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
THE PIRANHAS supporting THE JAM at the Top Rank Suite Brighton. 1978.

I think it was the biggest gig the Brighton boys had played at the time. It was one big party!

Supporting Weller at the BC, My mate insisted we watch the Ordinary Boys,first time I'd ever heard them. They wernt as good as the main man obviously, but put on a good show to the 100 or so that went in to watch. Not long after that he was on big brother and had his day in the Sun, good luck to him, wonder what happened to em?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Saw the stranglers at the Apollo in March and nine below zero pushed them all the way . The floor was pretty full early doors !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A Band Called O who were the support band for the truly dreadful loud pile of shit Welsh band that was Man. Not that many of you will have any idea who a Band Called O were though, they were very good in Prog Rock way. :smile:

The Robin Trower Band were so much better than the main act that I have forgotten who the main act were :lolol:

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
The Maccabees supporting my mate john's band Autokat at the basement on the seafront.

They went round all night saying they were about to be 'massive' and Orlando whatshisname did a great Ian Curtis impression.

We mocked them heavily.

1 year later I was watching them at bestival in front of 15,000.

Gits

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here