Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sunderland

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I think that's being very harsh on Sam, and Sunderland. He's not been there overly long and everyone can see how woeful that squad is. He's got a massive job on his hands, but the first half/hour of the game was better from them than earlier in the season. Then it fell apart but it fell apart because they were trying to get back in the game - and their defenders remembered they're PROPERLY useless, despite the coaching.

Sunderland will be fine - but Watford and Aston Villa will end up being dragged in I reckon, Norwich and Bournemouth are probably goners and I hope to see Villa relegated too, finally.

What makes you think Watford will get dragged into it? To me, they look well-organised, have an experienced, quality manager in Quique Flores, the fifth best defensive record in the league and a striker that has 7 goals in 11 games. I think they'll end up in a solid mid-table position, if not better.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sunderland :lolol:

They've now tried four managers with totally different approaches to very little effect. They need a MASSIVE clear out in January because, frankly, it's the players isn't it? And, yes, that includes Buckley and Bridcutt.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There was some irony to the cameras cutting to the Sunderland fans after they equalised with many of them holding 6 fingers up. I thought at the time it was in reference to their record wins in a row against their rivals, however clearly as supporters they were more insightful than I gave them credit.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

They've now tried four managers with totally different approaches to very little effect. They need a MASSIVE clear out in January because, frankly, it's the players isn't it? And, yes, that includes Buckley and Bridcutt.

Bit early to say that about big Sam but to be honest I hope we go down, re-build the club get rid of all the dross we have. It may take years but anything is better than watching this week in week out

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The only way Sunderland could stay up with their current squad would be if they were allowed to play Newcastle every week.

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
What makes you think Watford will get dragged into it? To me, they look well-organised, have an experienced, quality manager in Quique Flores, the fifth best defensive record in the league and a striker that has 7 goals in 11 games. I think they'll end up in a solid mid-table position, if not better.

Uncanny

House.jpg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

The only manager with any nous about the situation was PDC. He's been the only manager, so far, who has attempted to take on the rotten player culture ... and look how long he lasted. It does need a wholesale clear out, but will Big Sam to allowed to do it?

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
The only manager with any nous about the situation was PDC. He's been the only manager, so far, who has attempted to take on the rotten player culture ... and look how long he lasted. It does need a wholesale clear out, but will Big Sam to allowed to do it?
To be fair, he's also a complete & total fruitcake.
Oh & a fascist

SAC

May 21, 2014
This comes with a disclaimer as I predicted Leicester to be relegated but I think it will be Sunderland, Bournemouth and Norwich for the drop this season.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I completely agree, at the moment they're looking very good and they look like they'll comfortably avoid any real trouble but I do see Newcastle and Sunderland picking up and pulling away, so someone else has to get dragged in and I reckon it will be Watford, there's always one team who drops like a stone. Hull a few years back being a fairly classic example, they won at Arsenal and then at Tottenham but ended up only just surviving and then being relegated the following season.

That said, I am very impressed with Sanchez Flores at the moment, and obviously he's vastly superior in comparison to Phil Brown!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I completely agree, at the moment they're looking very good and they look like they'll comfortably avoid any real trouble but I do see Newcastle and Sunderland picking up and pulling away, so someone else has to get dragged in and I reckon it will be Watford, there's always one team who drops like a stone. Hull a few years back being a fairly classic example, they won at Arsenal and then at Tottenham but ended up only just surviving and then being relegated the following season.

That said, I am very impressed with Sanchez Flores at the moment, and obviously he's vastly superior in comparison to Phil Brown!

True, it wouldn't be the first time a team has started well and gone to pieces.

I think Newcastle will pick up eventually, not sure on Sunderland but Allardyce is definitely the kind of manager you'd want in the situation they are in.

Bournemouth and Norwich look nailed on to go down at the moment, whilst Villa's squad should be strong enough for Garde to turn it around. Any of the bottom 10 (bar Chelsea) could get dragged into it quite easily. Time will tell.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have a high regard for Sam Allardyce as a manager - he gets a lot of unjustified flak (from those who regard a headed goal from a well hit centre as clear evidence of hoofball) - but I think this time he's bitten off more than even he can chew, and I will be seriously surprised if he manages to pull off yet another Sunderland miracle.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm surprised more people aren't picking Villa for the chop. They don't score, they don't create, their keeper's rubbish, they've lost seven in a row. Grealish was anonymous tonight - maybe the hype's gone to his head?

I fancy Bournemouth will go down with Villa, Watford will be OK as they look like they've get their act together. It could actually be Newcastle for the drop in the third spot.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
With Sunderland, Newcastle and Midldesbrough in the Championship next season we had better get promoted.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I'm surprised more people aren't picking Villa for the chop. They don't score, they don't create, their keeper's rubbish, they've lost seven in a row. Grealish was anonymous tonight - maybe the hype's gone to his head?

I fancy Bournemouth will go down with Villa, Watford will be OK as they look like they've get their act together. It could actually be Newcastle for the drop in the third spot.

I fancy B'muff, Villa and Sunderland, think Newcastle and Norwich will walk the tightrope.
Having said that, if none of them are too far adrift come January and spend well it's anybodies guess.
If Watford can keep key player fit they should be alright. Could see Stoke maybe getting pulled into the mix too, maybe even West Brom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here