Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Sunderland v Newcastle

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Both grappling each other, and the defender got a key touch on the ball just before to ruin the striker’s path.
He hooked his arm round then let him go as he fell, clever defending but with the microscopic nonsense of VAR it would no doubt have been given.

Scored an own goal anyway so they will be glad he stayed on :lolol:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Am I right in saying re: VAR that we're still in the farcical situation that if this game were at SJP there'd be VAR, but as it's at the SoL there isn't?

Surely if there can't be VAR in all games in a competition, there shouldn't be in any?

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Am I right in saying re: VAR that we're still in the farcical situation that if this game were at SJP there'd be VAR, but as it's at the SoL there isn't?

Surely if there can't be VAR in all games in a competition, there shouldn't be in any?
Its only the FA cup. Even the FA don't really care anymore

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Didn't Newcastle stop a deal going through for Pedro to get Isak instead?
I know who I would rather have.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
You think it’s better now? It’s worse.
Its slightly better. VAR is shit because of the referees, not because of the technology. We also have better tech in terms of offside, but because the premier league is so f***ing special, they decided to keep the lines. I say we change who uses the technology, and try to phase the onfield ref out as they're not fit to ref. At some point we will have no refs anyway as they keep quitting at grassroots level

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Football is so much better without VAR. In the Premier League we’d have had several minutes of stoppages already scrutinising heavy challenges*

*trying to find a way to send someone off
Is it a better watch because the lack of VAR, or because it is two teams trying to be as competitive as possible and win the game? As a neutral sure, the lack of VAR adds to the chaos which is fun, but it is also accepting a poor standard of officiating as correct, which is crap.

Fundamentally, the standard of refereeing so far in this game has been pretty average (veering towards poor - he’s missing a lot of fouls by both sides) and we’re only an absolute stinker away from going “this is why VAR is necessary”. (Clear DOGSO red card for the foul on Isak aside).

VAR obviously needs to improve (only a fool would be happy with it in its current form) but I just can’t understand how, especially if you were invested in a game as a supporter of either side, you’d be happier with the wrong decisions being made.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
All these inferior teams trying to play the ball out from the back.

Leave it to the experts. :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's enough for me to switch it off. Defending that bad is unacceptable at any level of football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here