Sunderland suspend season tickets of persistant standers

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

surferdave

Nov 24, 2012
They care about "elderly" supporters who can't see when someone stand in front of them, but why don't they care about fans who want to sing and support their club?
With 7000 empty seats last match it shouldn't be hard to find another place to sit for people who can't stand for 90 minutes.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I was at the Sunderland v Man City game, and noticed that there was one section of the ground where everybody was standing. Chatting to regulars there, it seems this is the club's designated signing section. It didn't look like anyone in that section was having their view obscured. I don't think many people who were worried about having their view obscured would go into the singing section.

However, whenever I see a Stoke home game on MOTD, it seems like the whole stadium is standing!

I understand the need to observe the ground regulations, but there has to be some sort of consistency of application, surely?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I was at the Sunderland v Man City game, and noticed that there was one section of the ground where everybody was standing. Chatting to regulars there, it seems this is the club's designated signing section. It didn't look like anyone in that section was having their view obscured. I don't think many people who were worried about having their view obscured would go into the singing section.

However, whenever I see a Stoke home game on MOTD, it seems like the whole stadium is standing!

I understand the need to observe the ground regulations, but there has to be some sort of consistency of application, surely?

MOTD only shows highlights, so maybe they are only standing because something exciting is happening and are sat down the rest of the time :shrug:

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
your reasoning and logic have no place here, begone foul demon!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Smart move in a recession :nono:

It probably is. Make examples of a few, discourage the others from standing and encourage back those older and younger supporters who were put off by all the standing. And they already have the ST money in the bank.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It probably is. Make examples of a few, discourage the others from standing and encourage back those older and younger supporters who were put off by all the standing. And they already have the ST money in the bank.

90% of the ground sits down, I doubt there's many people who will refuse to attend matches unless they can sit in that 10% that does stand. But carry on.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
They care about "elderly" supporters who can't see when someone stand in front of them, but why don't they care about fans who want to sing and support their club?
With 7000 empty seats last match it shouldn't be hard to find another place to sit for people who can't stand for 90 minutes.

The thing is, there's a wall behind the seat, meaning no ones view was obstructed.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The thing is, there's a wall behind the seat, meaning no ones view was obstructed.

But what if people think, if one person can stand they can too?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I was at the Sunderland v Man City game, and noticed that there was one section of the ground where everybody was standing. Chatting to regulars there, it seems this is the club's designated signing section.

Did you go over and get any autographs?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
This seems like a sensible way of addressing the situation from the club, they have got national recognition from the photo so now all supporters are aware of what they can expect from their own persistent standing

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to the Eithiad last week and all of the lower tier behind the goal and sweeping around the sides stood all match unchallenged. They even sang a song to the small number of away Reading fans in the same area goading them for sitting. Man City seemingly let their fans get on with it. Why don't others?

Also, is it the club, FA or police who initiate enforcement of sitting?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports