Sunderland offer

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
If Cattarmole is worth 6 million then that is what we should be asking for bridcutt,he should also demand the same wage that Cattermole is on, it`s about time we stopped getting raped when selling key players

Gus must be pissing himself laughing with talk of people willing to pay 6 million for Cattermole. I agree it's about time we grew some balls in the transfer market and started getting a fair price on players.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
playing 4 3 3
you need goals and assists from wide attackers
i think Buckley has more goal threat than Lua Lua and Conway
But may never recover full pace with chronic hamstring problems
and pace is his main attribute
Lack of goals from wide attackers has been the biggest weakness this season
and a weakness over all 3 seasons in championship
Which is why a wide attacker with a real goal threat would be the most effective
new signing if selling Bridcutt and Buckley brings us such a player
who maintains his fitness then great.
It is a very big if.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
playing 4 3 3
Which is why a wide attacker with a real goal threat would be the most effective
It is a very big if.

Good poem. Needs more rhymes though.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
After reading through the thread I wonder if some of us are assigning a value to our players that is conpletely unrealistic. Bridcutt, much as I love the man for the last few seasons, could reasonably be expected to go for 3.5m, he's untested at the highest level and been injured/out for most of this season. Shove in a % of next sale clause in case it goes really well for him and happy days.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
After reading through the thread I wonder if some of us are assigning a value to our players that is conpletely unrealistic. Bridcutt, much as I love the man for the last few seasons, could reasonably be expected to go for 3.5m, he's untested at the highest level and been injured/out for most of this season. Shove in a % of next sale clause in case it goes really well for him and happy days.

It's what he is worth to us that matters though not his "open market" value as we neither need or want to sell him. If Sunderland or anyone else aren't prepared to pay us the compensation we require then he stays a Brighton player.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
playing 4 3 3
It is a very big if.
Lewis Grabban would be good.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
It's what he is worth to us that matters though not his "open market" value as we neither need or want to sell him. If Sunderland or anyone else aren't prepared to pay us the compensation we require then he stays a Brighton player.
For Liam to stay as a Brighton player I would like to see him earn it and then wear the shirt.

I really don't get this not playing stuff he is a professional, the more he plays the fitter he gets and the better his game will get (which hasn't been too great this season) and put him and his agent into better terms of negotiations with any new club.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

But is he actually worth more than that to us now? If this was last year then I'd be one of those suggesting higher prices as we didn't have much of an alternative but, as good as he is, I no longer panic when his name isn't read out as we've got enough about us to carry on. A good player no doubt, not the lynchpin he was though.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
playing 4 3 3
It is a very big if.

And that is one of the reasons Barnes played so many games under both Poyet and Oscar. Good defensively and scored his fair share of goals from wide on the left.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
But is he actually worth more than that to us now? If this was last year then I'd be one of those suggesting higher prices as we didn't have much of an alternative but, as good as he is, I no longer panic when his name isn't read out as we've got enough about us to carry on. A good player no doubt, not the lynchpin he was though.

I'd agree with that. I'm also appears that Sunderland are the only ones who have made a bid. If we don't sell then come the summer window they are likely not to need him (stay up) or "can't afford" him (relegated). On top of that if his season continues to misfire his value will probably diminish.

I say take a decent offer now

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Well had he been playing Saturday instead of Andrews I don't think Derby would have scored so that is at least a point not playing him has cost. How many more will there be before the end of the season? I would tell Sunderland to get lost and let's see where we are at the end of the season.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Well had he been playing Saturday instead of Andrews I don't think Derby would have scored so that is at least a point not playing him has cost. How many more will there be before the end of the season? I would tell Sunderland to get lost and let's see where we are at the end of the season.

If we're playing with hypothetical scenarios (and as football fans, it's what we're good at), how many points have we gained through mistakes he might've made earlier in the season not happening?

Obviously there's no way of knowing this, much like at the end of the season we would really have no idea how much better off we would/wouldn't be with Bridders around.

As said above, if Sunderland go down and implement a mass cost-cutting (which you'd assume they'd have to, no parachute is that big) then what chance of them being able to buy him then? If it has become clear by then that we don't need him (want and need being different things), would we still get 3.5m (for example) for him?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Its all about opinions but when was the last time that Buckley changed a game, certainly not this season and if you are saying that Conway had three good games it is three more than Buckley has had this season. I'd sell him and get his wages off the books and get someone in that is fit to play every week. On games played we must be paying Buckley the equivalent of £20K a week.

But those players are so so hard to find...

I think Buckleys had several good games this yr. Granted, he's not been the same player as the start of last season but it will come back IMO. I'd say he changed the game v Barnsley I think (may not have been can't remember!) when he came on as sub and we looked a whole lot better... I just think selling our best players mid season when well placed is risky and stupid!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I'm not sure who has the upper hand in the battle to sign Bridcutt. I understand that it might look like Sunderland do, what with Bridcutt handing in a transfer request and 'not being in the right frame of mind' to play for us but...

It is absolutely clear that Poyet needs a player like Bridcutt. Bridcutt was an outstanding player for us in Gus's system, he made the team play. At the moment Sunderland don't have anyone who can do the job like Bridcutt did for us. Cattermole isn't up to it. So Gus needs to buy someone for the role. However if he brings in someone new, who he doesn't know, he can't be sure that that player will do the job effectively or will hit the ground running. Bridcutt, on the other hand, is someone he knows is more than capable of playing there and is someone he can 100% rely on. It makes sense therefore, that Bridcutt would be his preferred choice for the role as Sunderland don't have the time to give a player a month or two to learn how Poyet wants him to play. Therefore, if Oscar and Bloom are happy to let Bridcutt sit in the reserves for the rest of the season, does the pendulum swing back in our favour?

As for any interest he has in Buckley and Ulloa...I'm not sure either should be a serious target for him in this window. I'd suggest neither are better than Fletcher or Johnson so it would only be wasting resources that could/should be directed at Bridcutt. Bridcutt, or a player for that role,has to be his priority. His team won't work without a capable player there.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

I agree, although I think our valuation will be around £4M.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure who has the upper hand in the battle to sign Bridcutt. I understand that it might look like Sunderland do, what with Bridcutt handing in a transfer request and 'not being in the right frame of mind' to play for us but...

It is absolutely clear that Poyet needs a player like Bridcutt. Bridcutt was an outstanding player for us in Gus's system, he made the team play. At the moment Sunderland don't have anyone who can do the job like Bridcutt did for us. Cattermole isn't up to it. So Gus needs to buy someone for the role. However if he brings in someone new, who he doesn't know, he can't be sure that that player will do the job effectively or will hit the ground running. Bridcutt, on the other hand, is someone he knows is more than capable of playing there and is someone he can 100% rely on. It makes sense therefore, that Bridcutt would be his preferred choice for the role as Sunderland don't have the time to give a player a month or two to learn how Poyet wants him to play. Therefore, if Oscar and Bloom are happy to let Bridcutt sit in the reserves for the rest of the season, does the pendulum swing back in our favour?

As for any interest he has in Buckley and Ulloa...I'm not sure either should be a serious target for him in this window. I'd suggest neither are better than Fletcher or Johnson so it would only be wasting resources that could/should be directed at Bridcutt. Bridcutt, or a player for that role,has to be his priority. His team won't work without a capable player there.

Spot on. And this means we should hold out unless and until Gus offers what we want for Liam. I believe he is way, way short of our valuation at present.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports