Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland are just about to get tonked by the Toffees.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We're talking about successful seasons...Barry Lloyd got us to the playoff final and 90 mins from the top flight.

The original point was about 'best ever managers'.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Best ever manager?:D
Arguably most certainly as he is no way in the top 2,Barry Lloyd done better with far limited resources 😀

Only one way to judge a manager in my book. Difference between the position he started and the position he finished. By that token it is MA, GP, AM in my time in that order.

BL = - 31 I think.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Only one way to judge a manager in my book. Difference between the position he started and the position he finished. By that token it is MA, GP, AM in my time in that order.

BL = - 31 I think.
What about MA and MA's second spells though?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Nothing against Gus. Yes he was arguably our best ever manager and co managed well at other clubs. However, 'careful what you wish for' and all that. Sunderland had an early and very generous Christmas present at the loveable glad all over boys much to the disappointment of the cheeky, cheerful Yorkshireman. I think QPR and Leicester will finally get a bit of luck and haul their way to safety. Sunderland for the drop. Just stating a FACT, no sour grapes.

Although you consistently post about him? If nothing against him then you are obviously obsessed - what a tonking that was!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

BL = - 31 I think.

That's one way. However, it doesn't take into consideration the financial context of a manager's reign.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
No, it doesn't, but as we would never have the full information on the financial context my approach does have the advantage of being purely objective.

I know what you are saying. However, by removing the context, it leads to some highly questionable judgements. Steve Gritt's achievement in leading Brighton from almost certain relegation in 1996/97 (I think they were one off the bottom again when he was sacked) merely registers as an improvement of one position when it was one of the greatest managerial achievements of any Brighton boss in the club's history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here