Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland and Burnley after Ward

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Chicksen may turn out to be a real find, but having lost Upson and PIG I am not sure I would be all that happy going with a back four including Dunk, Chicksen and possible Ankergran and hope to achieve a decent finish.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Assuming this is based on the Express article..

The Seagulls and Boro are the first clubs to make contact to indicate they are prepared to sign the 28-year-old left-back on a permanent basis.

But Premier League duo Burnley and Sunderland also have him on their radar and are waiting in the wings if a move to the south coast or Teesside falls through.

The next step is a meeting between Ward’s representative and Wolves which is expected to come shortly to thrash out the Ireland international’s ‘exit strategy’.

But the indications are all parties want a quick resolution.

Ward has a year left on his £12,000-a-week contract which Brighton paid all of last season as he made 44 Championship appearances, scoring four goals and helping them to the play-off semi-finals, where they were beaten by Derby 6-2 on aggregate.

His consistency and success at the Amex Stadium means there may be some negotiating to be done over the fee.

Either way, Brighton would appear to be in the driving seat, although Ward may want reassuring over his place after manager Oscar Garcia walked out at the end of the season.

Boro currently have former Wolves man George Friend at left-back, but they have no cover for the one-time Exeter defender, who has a year left on his contract.

Why are people assuming he's Premier League bound?

Would be fairly confident of him choosing us over Boro if that's what it comes down to. They already have an established (and pretty decent) left-back.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Assuming this is based on the Express article..

"But Premier League duo Burnley and Sunderland also have him on their radar and are waiting in the wings if a move to the south coast or Teesside falls through."
Wow, that's a shit article. They reckon two premier league sides want him, but won't consider making an offer until two mighty Championship sides have had their chance :facepalm:

Last edited:

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Hopefully we'll have the edge over Middlesborough, if not Burnley or Sunderland. Interesting article, the most surprising note of which suggests that Ward is on £12,000 a week - I would think that we'd be prepared to match that, especially since we paid it all last season.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport...stephen-ward-is-edging-closer-to-wolves-exit/

Yes have no fear, I am sure Burke and Jones have more pulling power than Karanka or Poyet and Dyche in the Premiership.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Wow, that's a shot article. They reckon two premier league sides want him, but won't consider making an offer until two mighty Championship sides have had their chance :facepalm:
Agreed, I'd be doubtful of that 12k weekly wage figure being anything other than a bit of fairly poor guesswork as well.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Good luck to ward! A decent enough season for him and he's earnt the right to a crack in the prem.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
As I think Stat Brother said on another thread Money Talks and at £12k a week the premier clubs can let us do the bartering down and then come in and offer a bit more.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought he'd gone on record as saying he'd love to sign for us? Bloody worrying if we can't even land players who want to sign for us.....

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Until we find the new messiah, maybe Ernest could fill in, with Nick Griffin as his assistant and Hove Born & Bred could wash all the player's smalls.

Dirty kits, no more black or non British players and overweight players spending more TIME in the CLIFTONVILLE than the training GROUND.........

Surely Bloom realises if he does it, they'll also force him out and bring back Dick Knight.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Ward will have signed for someone before the World Cup I imagine
He is not involved in the World Cup and has plenty of time to decide what he wants. He is under contract at Wolves, involved with ROI for another 3 games then goes on holiday.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
He has been good for us but he is hardly going to be impressive with the trickery which goes with the Premiership. That is what Bridge was about and the difference in class (when fit) was pretty obvious. We are in with a good shout, if we really want him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just paper talk, the premier league may be a step too far. I'd imagine its out of us, Middlesboro and Ipswich. I think location rules Middlesboro out.

BattFink

Jan 31, 2012
Buggers Hole
I seem to remember towards the beginning of the season, the Argus was reporting that Ward was "using" his time with us to get himself back in the international spotlight. I can see the opportunity to be playing in the Premier league as a massive draw for him

He'll be a big loss if he doesn't sign

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
NSC is GRIM at the moment.

Any manager we want, West Brom want as well.

We are itching to sell Ulloa for a pittance.

Ward is wanted by richer clubs.

Can we have some GOOD news please ? And lots of it ???

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
For some 'unknown' reason I think we will find Sunderland linked to every player we are interested in, even though they are not really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here