Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland and Big Sam.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
He managed Newcastle so he would start on minus 5 points with the fans at Sunderland.

Incorrect.

A lot of Sunderland fans wanted him to get the job in the summer ahead of Advocaat staying. Regardless of him having managed Newcastle, they're pragmatic enough to have recognised that he is a proven successful PL manager. Additionally, he is a former Sunderland player.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Do the doubters think he can't get a team to play hoofball and win? I doubt his ability to create a top level decent team playing a passing style of football, I don't doubt he can do well with Sunderland.

The doubters think that he's a one trick pony, as your response suggests. I happen to think he's not and has always evolved his teams. Others don't (want to) see that.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have a feeling that this one is too tough even for him. They have a pretty awful team. My bet would be, this is one step too far for big Sam, they'll crash and burn, then Sam will retire.
Must admit this was one of the first thoughts that went through my mind too. Why take the job - he can't need the money?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
He's done well at every club he's managed INCLUDING Newcastle.

His win percentage was poor at Newcastle, however in mitigation he was never really given a chance there by the fans or the new owner (Mike Ashley). But given time he would've got them into 8-10th place.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The doubters think that he's a one trick pony, as your response suggests. I happen to think he's not and has always evolved his teams. Others don't (want to) see that.
I don't think it's as much as one trick, but I remember him saying something like being able to manage a team playing like Barcelona if he had the players, as he think he can do anything. I don't think he can and keeping Sunderland up won't prove that wrong.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
And Bournemouth are 1-4 to stay up, I know where my money would go. Safest bet out there though could be boring..
Really? They're unbelievable odds for such a tinpot outfit to stay in the most competitive league in the world!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Must admit this was one of the first thoughts that went through my mind too. Why take the job - he can't need the money?

I don't say that because I don't like him, I don't mind him at all and wouldn't complain if circumstances dictated that TB chose him to manage us, I just think this is too tall an order even for him. I could be wrong (it did happen once ... It was a Thursday)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't say that because I don't like him, I don't mind him at all and wouldn't complain if circumstances dictated that TB chose him to manage us, I just think this is too tall an order even for him.
I'm not in the don't like him camp either. I think he's a very good, very progressive manager, but I agree with you that keeping this shower up may be a challenge too far. That's why I'm wondering why on earth he's agreed to take it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Big Sam is a proven fire fighter, he has saved clubs from seemingly hopeless positions several times in the past, and l have every confidence he will do the same for Sunderland. He won't do it by playing attractive attacking foootball, but at the moment who cares.

Any more than that l'm not too sure. First thing's first though. Sunderland have made a very good appointment l think..

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Very happy with the new manager, the whole mag thing is long forgotten about and he is an ex player. The main thing is keeping us up and then re-building.

Would not be surpised if as part of the talks he has (for now at least) agreed to stay if we do go down and help the rebuiliding of the team when we can finally tear up all the useless contracts we have, I do not think its the end of the world, Coca-Cola football league is often a good competitive league to watch

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Right man for the job.
I've got nothing against Sunderland.
By the way, is GP still playing golf?

No, he was a guest at the RWC game last night on ITV

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm not in the don't like him camp either. I think he's a very good, very progressive manager, but I agree with you that keeping this shower up may be a challenge too far. That's why I'm wondering why on earth he's agreed to take it.

i kind of agree with this, i would have thought there was a better job out there for him. Although i think he will keep them up. i would like to see him do well, i like him and them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here