Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunday roast

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
This is the new craft beer place?

It is. Although I agree with pishead, it is a bit of a marketing term. A bit like when they call a pub restaurant a "kitchen". Well worth a look though IMO.

P.s. still in here as a matter of fact

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Coopers Cask

so good that I can't get a job in the kitchen

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Any places still doing a decent Sunday roast for under a tenner? Prices have got noticeably much steeper recently.

I can never understand that because roast is one of the cheapest dinners to produce and serve in as much as it doesnt cost a lot more to serve 100 than it does to serve 80 in relation to the extra income generated. Or in the case of a small pub 20 than 15.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I can never understand that because roast is one of the cheapest dinners to produce and serve in as much as it doesnt cost a lot more to serve 100 than it does to serve 80 in relation to the extra income generated. Or in the case of a small pub 20 than 15.

Suspect it's more to do with rising costs of rent, energy etc. than it has to do with the cost of the food itself. Might be wrong.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Any places still doing a decent Sunday roast for under a tenner? Prices have got noticeably much steeper recently.

Coopers Cask as mentioned above is excellent which I believe is £9.75 per roast.

The Royal Oak in St James Street is fabulous and I think that is just under a tenner.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
For a more fancy affair Hotel Du Vin are doing a great offer at present.

£20 per person four course meal.
Course one - Seasonal Soup of the day
Course two - French Market Buffet - This is the highlight for me - help yourself to artisan bread, pate's, salad and a great selection of seafood, including:- Mussels, Crab, Salmon, Prawns & Oysters.
Course three - Roast Dinner
Course Four - Dessert or Cheese and biscuits.

This is one of the best restaurant deals I've ever experienced the only downside is we ended up spending £90 on three bottles of wine between four of us.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Don't really like roast dinners.

Wife does sometimes so put in a bit of effort today but kept it simple.

Roast rib of beef rested for half an hour. Not cheap and very very tender.

Made my own gravy from the juices with a little bit of wine.

Even made some very impressive Yorkshire puddings, resting the batter for a couple of hours as suggested.

Still didn't enjoy it. God knows how I'd react to something from a cheap cavery.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't really like roast dinners.

exact opposite to me as I love a roast dinner being on the pro points diet I can have as many vegetables as I want so today we had roast duck, 185 gms with skin is 12 points of my allocated 49 daily and 4 roast potatoes is 6 points therefore for 18 points I had a roast with carrots, broccoli, swede,sprouts, cauliflower, frozen broad beans and peas(1pt extra) and I was well full, hardly seems like a diet.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Hey, I'm sure there are lots of threads on this but here it goes...

Where is the best place to get a Sunday roast in Brighton & Hove? I'm going for one later but we don't know where to go.

The best is always from your own oven........

although just had a very acceptable offering from The Cricketers in Hove (but have the chicken n beef mix as only pennies more than beef only, and you get HALF a chicken).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here